British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   USA (https://britishexpats.com/forum/usa-57/)
-   -   tv, internet, telephone providers (https://britishexpats.com/forum/usa-57/tv-internet-telephone-providers-720527/)

AllysonCross Jun 11th 2011 2:19 pm

tv, internet, telephone providers

Hi, can anyone recommend what tv, telephone and internet provider has the most channels and the fastest unlimited internet speed? Is it better to get all 3 services in a package? I have looked at digital tv but am not sure if i recognise any of the channels they mention. Oh, and we must be able to view the Formula 1! We will be living in the North Atlanta area. Thanks.

fatbrit Jun 11th 2011 3:23 pm

Re: tv, internet, telephone providers

Originally Posted by AllysonCross (Post 9425873)
Hi, can anyone recommend what tv, telephone and internet provider has the most channels and the fastest unlimited internet speed? Is it better to get all 3 services in a package? I have looked at digital tv but am not sure if i recognise any of the channels they mention. Oh, and we must be able to view the Formula 1! We will be living in the North Atlanta area. Thanks.

There are some strange misconceptions in this one.

AllysonCross Jun 11th 2011 3:31 pm

can you expand?

fatbrit Jun 11th 2011 3:44 pm

Originally Posted by AllysonCross (Post 9425961)
can you expand?

The problem is I don't know where to start.

More channels is better?
100 channels of nothing or 1000 channels of nothing.

A choice of providers?
There's sometimes an illusion of choice. Never found any reality there.

Fastest speed is important?
We watch virtually all our TV as Netflix streaming on the slowest speed connection the cable company provides. For UK TV (e.g F1) we stream from the iplayer et. al using a VPN connection to a UK service. You don't need a crazy speed.

All-in-one packages?
Generally a rip off. Use a 3rd-party voip service tailored to your calling patterns. Or drop the home phone altogether and just use your cell phone.

The whole monopoly of the local cable companies is under great change. Old folk take the 3-in-1 package, the younger generation do not.

AllysonCross Jun 11th 2011 3:52 pm

Hi, thank-you. We were used to fast speed internet in the UK, but since living here in RSA it has been none existent, so we are hoping that we can have it again in the US as my sons like to do online xbox gaming without lag.
I have seen a package with comcast thats $119 pm but only for the first 12 months, so not sure what happens after the 12 months. Again here in RSA we are paying approx £200pm for hardly using the phone, poor internet, and about 30 tv channels.
I think as long as I get the 'speed' channel we will be good for the F1.
I just wondered if anyone else had gone down the cable route and regretted it?

fatbrit Jun 11th 2011 4:02 pm

Originally Posted by AllysonCross (Post 9425989)
I have seen a package with comcast thats $119 pm but only for the first 12 months, so not sure what happens after the 12 months.

You'll be locked in a contract paying crazy prices. You need a magnifying glass for the 4-point type at the bottom that gives you the early termination fees and details of how they are going to fleece you.

AllysonCross Jun 11th 2011 4:06 pm

ok, we will avoid that then. maybe it is better to look for things on an individual basis. it will be easier once we get there i hope, and if need be we will have to survive on 3g mobile devices and watch dvd's until we decide! thanks.

md95065 Jun 11th 2011 4:10 pm

In most areas there is very little real choice.

There is cable TV from whoever the local cable company is.

There is land line phone service from whoever the local telco is.

Satellite TV may or not be available depending on your precise location and your ability to put up a dish if one doesn't already exist.

The cable company will undoubtedly want to sell you a package of several hundred digital channels (99% or which you will never watch), internet service and phone service.

Personally I would go for a very basic cable package plus internet, probably skip the land line phone altogether and shop around for the best cell phone deal that I could find.

lansbury Jun 11th 2011 4:55 pm

Originally Posted by AllysonCross (Post 9425873)
Oh, and we must be able to view the Formula 1! We will be living in the North Atlanta area. Thanks.

If you decide not to use the BBC iplayer to stream this, F1 is shown on the Speed channel in the US. These show normally the second practice session and always qualifying. Four races each year starting with the Canadian GP, the race itself is shown on the national Fox channel. All have adverts during the race.

Tarkak9 Jun 11th 2011 7:20 pm

Originally Posted by fatbrit (Post 9426004)

Really?? I've just always handed in equiptment and never had fees etc. Just been prorated and a mo to mo.... the line I've always said to them I'd be inclined to continue the service at the promo/package rate because that's all I can really afford... in my experience its been better and easier to talk to someone in a comcast office rather than "Customer Service" on the phone.

fatbrit Jun 11th 2011 7:37 pm

Originally Posted by Tarkak9 (Post 9426226)
Really?? I've just always handed in equiptment and never had fees etc. Just been prorated and a mo to mo.... the line I've always said to them I'd be inclined to continue the service at the promo/package rate because that's all I can really afford... in my experience its been better and easier to talk to someone in a comcast office rather than "Customer Service" on the phone.

You have been lucky if you have avoided the shenanigans.

Here's one of many on a 10-second Google:
http://consumerist.com/2007/05/comca...t-and-etf.html

Tarkak9 Jun 11th 2011 7:42 pm

Originally Posted by fatbrit (Post 9426242)
You have been lucky if you have avoided the shenanigans.

Here's one of many on a 10-second Google:
http://consumerist.com/2007/05/comca...t-and-etf.html

Must be. Its possible that its a state to state thing then; maybe contract law has been called into question. I've always been told that, at least around here, its a mo to mo agreement. I never question it, just whistle dixie while walking out the door!

dyqik Jun 11th 2011 9:18 pm

You'll probably find that there is one provider that is preferred/easily available in your area, or already installed in your place.

I've just joined Comcast as it's the only real option in Cambridge, MA. I'm paying $95 a month for 15Mbps internet and HDTV with a DVR - but this doesn't include the sports pack that's needed to get SpeedTV for the F1 coverage (although they also stream it from their website). I did have to pay a deposit for the DVR box, and because I don't have any credit history ($100 each). I seem to be actually getting what I'm paying for, and I've had to have a bit of contact with customer services to get all the channels working - this has been extremely painless compared to Virgin Media in the UK (20min wait at least, £20 to change the name on the account, which can take up to 2 months...).

I decided not to bother with a landline - a cell phone does everything a landline does, and you can drop that part from the packages.

Sally Redux Jun 11th 2011 9:23 pm

Originally Posted by md95065 (Post 9426015)
In most areas there is very little real choice.

I find this so infuriating. Our internet service is awful, but they have the rights in this area, so tough titty. We did switch to Direct TV for the TV service at least, which is more reliable.

Bob Jun 12th 2011 12:42 am

Originally Posted by AllysonCross (Post 9425989)
I have seen a package with comcast thats $119 pm but only for the first 12 months, so not sure what happens after the 12 months.

It goes up to around $175 a month, or more...you can try and blag it and say you'll leave them and they might give you another new rate, which won't be quite so good, but only works if there is an alternate. The only good thing about Comcast, no fixed length contract, so you can cancel at any time.

You might get lucky and have Verizon Fios, which is good if you can get it.

Satellite, depends where you are, may or may not have a choice in providers.

Basically, you'd be lucky if you have more than one choice, so it's usually pretty easy to figure out, it's go with or go without.