TV advice

Old Jan 22nd 2008, 8:18 pm
BE Forum Addict

Dan725 has a reputation beyond reputeDan725 has a reputation beyond reputeDan725 has a reputation beyond reputeDan725 has a reputation beyond reputeDan725 has a reputation beyond reputeDan725 has a reputation beyond reputeDan725 has a reputation beyond reputeDan725 has a reputation beyond reputeDan725 has a reputation beyond reputeDan725 has a reputation beyond reputeDan725 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: TV advice

Originally Posted by Big D
You will be hard pushed to buy a TV that isnt HD ready these days.

On the broadcast issue i think you are getting analogue and digital mixed up with SD and HD.
Yes thats what I thought - there will be standard def channels, but they will be digital. You can get an SD digital TV - but to be honest HD won't be much more nowadays.
Old Jan 22nd 2008, 8:20 pm
BE Enthusiast

mayhemuk is a glorious beacon of lightmayhemuk is a glorious beacon of lightmayhemuk is a glorious beacon of lightmayhemuk is a glorious beacon of lightmayhemuk is a glorious beacon of lightmayhemuk is a glorious beacon of lightmayhemuk is a glorious beacon of lightmayhemuk is a glorious beacon of lightmayhemuk is a glorious beacon of lightmayhemuk is a glorious beacon of lightmayhemuk is a glorious beacon of light

Just bought this one
http://www.bestbuy.com/site/olspage....=1186005983963
Is mighty fine. Picture is good (not excellent) but this is on standard comcast broadcasts. (Concast more like - avoid if at all possible!)

The TV itself is ready to go out of the box no need to attach stand yourself.
Has a pair of HDMI, Pair of Component, PC input amongst others.
And the remote is very simple. Rather than a million buttons on the remote you use the menu driven options on the screen. Very easy to use.
Old Jan 22nd 2008, 8:32 pm
Septicity

fatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by mayhemuk
Looks great -- but could you live with buying the "Official TV of NASCAR".
Old Jan 22nd 2008, 8:42 pm

Englishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond repute

Just over a year ago (when I was buying an Xmas gift for my spouse) someone on this board - perhaps Bob - suggested this company for buying online:

http://www.crutchfield.com/App/Produ...al_nav*target2

Customer service is superb (although they're not always the cheapest) but they do give a lot of technical advice and free lifetime product support. It's worth taking a look at their 'weekly specials' on TVs as listed in the link above.

Also - TOP TIP

Do you currently have an American Express card in the UK?
If so, you can arrange to have a US issued Amex card to use as soon as you move to the States (but don't close down your UK Amex card until the US one has been operating for a couple of months).

The reason I'm saying this is that even on a basic green *US issued* Amex card, you get free extended warranty on most purchases, effectively doubling the manufacturer's warranty period. For example, if you buy a TV with six months warranty, Amex doubles it so it becomes a 1 year warranty. If the orginal warranty is for 1 year, Amex extends it to 2 years. It's called the 'Buyer's Assurance Plan':

https://www143.americanexpress.com/c...ARDS/145/1/2/1

If you don't have a UK Amex card, I strongly suggest you arrange to have one before leaving Blighty. I don't know what we would have done without ours, since Chase only gave us a pitiful credit limit on the Visa cards they issued as we had no credit rating. No such worries with Amex as they're charge cards which you pay off in full each month, which is what we've always done anyway. We actually had them sent to my husband's new office in New York, via his boss, and they were waiting on arrival when we moved here.

I love Amex!
Old Jan 22nd 2008, 9:17 pm
Bob
BE Site Lead

Bob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by penguinsix
My advice is to get one with the most possible inputs in the back, but I'm a bit of a geek. I have 8 inputs and I'm already using 7. Not sure what to do when I get an HD-DVD player....
you can get input switcher boxes...
Old Jan 22nd 2008, 9:27 pm
BE Enthusiast

mayhemuk is a glorious beacon of lightmayhemuk is a glorious beacon of lightmayhemuk is a glorious beacon of lightmayhemuk is a glorious beacon of lightmayhemuk is a glorious beacon of lightmayhemuk is a glorious beacon of lightmayhemuk is a glorious beacon of lightmayhemuk is a glorious beacon of lightmayhemuk is a glorious beacon of lightmayhemuk is a glorious beacon of lightmayhemuk is a glorious beacon of light

Originally Posted by fatbrit
Looks great -- but could you live with buying the "Official TV of NASCAR".
Did not even realise I had? Is that why it has the fancy paint job!?
Old Jan 22nd 2008, 10:55 pm
BE Forum Addict

Big D has a reputation beyond reputeBig D has a reputation beyond reputeBig D has a reputation beyond reputeBig D has a reputation beyond reputeBig D has a reputation beyond reputeBig D has a reputation beyond reputeBig D has a reputation beyond reputeBig D has a reputation beyond reputeBig D has a reputation beyond reputeBig D has a reputation beyond reputeBig D has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Englishmum
Just over a year ago (when I was buying an Xmas gift for my spouse) someone on this board - perhaps Bob - suggested this company for buying online:

http://www.crutchfield.com/App/Produ...al_nav*target2

Customer service is superb (although they're not always the cheapest) but they do give a lot of technical advice and free lifetime product support. It's worth taking a look at their 'weekly specials' on TVs as listed in the link above.

Also - TOP TIP

Do you currently have an American Express card in the UK?
If so, you can arrange to have a US issued Amex card to use as soon as you move to the States (but don't close down your UK Amex card until the US one has been operating for a couple of months).

The reason I'm saying this is that even on a basic green *US issued* Amex card, you get free extended warranty on most purchases, effectively doubling the manufacturer's warranty period. For example, if you buy a TV with six months warranty, Amex doubles it so it becomes a 1 year warranty. If the orginal warranty is for 1 year, Amex extends it to 2 years. It's called the 'Buyer's Assurance Plan':

https://www143.americanexpress.com/c...ARDS/145/1/2/1

If you don't have a UK Amex card, I strongly suggest you arrange to have one before leaving Blighty. I don't know what we would have done without ours, since Chase only gave us a pitiful credit limit on the Visa cards they issued as we had no credit rating. No such worries with Amex as they're charge cards which you pay off in full each month, which is what we've always done anyway. We actually had them sent to my husband's new office in New York, via his boss, and they were waiting on arrival when we moved here.

I love Amex!
Amazon is worth a look as its tax free
Old Jan 22nd 2008, 11:00 pm

Pony is an unknown quantity at this point

Where are you moving to? How large do you envisage your house being?
We have a 32" TV here in LA and it looks apt for the room size - in Texas (in our much bigger home) it looked very small.
I have a 28" set from the UK, it looks like a portable.

Remember a widescreen set isn't going to have the same impact as a 4:3 set - you'll probably want bigger if your going from standard to widescreen.
These two images have the same diagonal measurement (the standard 4:3 ratio (top) offers much more real estate than the widescreen one)

Originally Posted by lj2
My TV right now at home is 28" and I am happy with the size