Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

Tuscon for visitors.

Tuscon for visitors.

Old Sep 8th 2011, 10:32 pm
BE Enthusiast

Lamin has a reputation beyond reputeLamin has a reputation beyond reputeLamin has a reputation beyond reputeLamin has a reputation beyond reputeLamin has a reputation beyond reputeLamin has a reputation beyond reputeLamin has a reputation beyond reputeLamin has a reputation beyond reputeLamin has a reputation beyond reputeLamin has a reputation beyond reputeLamin has a reputation beyond repute
Default Tuscon for visitors.

I am planning a trip to Tuscon AZ soon and I am looking for some suggestions on what to see, where to stop, eat etc.

My main reason for going is because I want to visit the Pima air museum and then the Davis Monthan AFB "Boneyard".

I appreciate any suggestions.

Many thanks.
Old Sep 8th 2011, 10:45 pm

Poppy girl has a reputation beyond reputePoppy girl has a reputation beyond reputePoppy girl has a reputation beyond reputePoppy girl has a reputation beyond reputePoppy girl has a reputation beyond reputePoppy girl has a reputation beyond reputePoppy girl has a reputation beyond reputePoppy girl has a reputation beyond reputePoppy girl has a reputation beyond reputePoppy girl has a reputation beyond reputePoppy girl has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Tuscon for visitors.

Originally Posted by Lamin
I am planning a trip to Tuscon AZ soon and I am looking for some suggestions on what to see, where to stop, eat etc.

My main reason for going is because I want to visit the Pima air museum and then the Davis Monthan AFB "Boneyard".

Many thanks.
I was there in February not the nicest place "Tuscon" but the air museum and grave yard is awesome ...we ate at the Greek restaurant across the road from our hotel we got the Hilton for a ridiculous cheap price on Price line... the Greek place is 1st class they have random dancing suddenly happen when you are eating and huge portions very clean, friendly and cheap

http://www.eatmoregreek.com/tucson-east.html
Old Sep 8th 2011, 11:29 pm
Septic Sprout

tonrob has a reputation beyond reputetonrob has a reputation beyond reputetonrob has a reputation beyond reputetonrob has a reputation beyond reputetonrob has a reputation beyond reputetonrob has a reputation beyond reputetonrob has a reputation beyond reputetonrob has a reputation beyond reputetonrob has a reputation beyond reputetonrob has a reputation beyond reputetonrob has a reputation beyond repute

Saguaro National Park.

Lots of these fellers:

Old Sep 9th 2011, 6:08 am
Some Where in the Desert

AZ_Alba is a glorious beacon of lightAZ_Alba is a glorious beacon of lightAZ_Alba is a glorious beacon of lightAZ_Alba is a glorious beacon of lightAZ_Alba is a glorious beacon of lightAZ_Alba is a glorious beacon of lightAZ_Alba is a glorious beacon of lightAZ_Alba is a glorious beacon of lightAZ_Alba is a glorious beacon of lightAZ_Alba is a glorious beacon of lightAZ_Alba is a glorious beacon of light

Many thanks.
BioSphere 2
www.b2science.org/

San Xavier Mission
www.sanxaviermission.org

Titan Missile Museum
http://www.titanmissilemuseum.org/

Kartchner Caverns State Park
Benson, AZ 85602
www.pr.state.az.us/

Tuscon Botanical Gardens

Mount Lemmon
Old Sep 9th 2011, 2:16 pm
Grumpy Know-it-all

Steve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond repute

Well there's that, the other main tourist attraction nearby is the national park and Tombstone is a bit further down the road.

Be aware of the fact that I-10 between Tucson and Phoenix is one of the busiest and most dangerous roads in the US, I think it's ranked third for fatalities. I assume you're flying into Phoenix and then driving down. I don't want to scare you too much but that road is a death trap. Outside of the metro area it narrows to a dual carriageway and there is way too much traffic on it. I did it on a Saturday morning once and even then it was rammed with traffic, I'd aim to do it on a Sunday, especially if you've just arrived from the UK because you'll be knackered.
Old Sep 9th 2011, 2:42 pm
Septicity

fatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Steve_
Well there's that, the other main tourist attraction nearby is the national park and Tombstone is a bit further down the road.

Be aware of the fact that I-10 between Tucson and Phoenix is one of the busiest and most dangerous roads in the US, I think it's ranked third for fatalities. I assume you're flying into Phoenix and then driving down. I don't want to scare you too much but that road is a death trap. Outside of the metro area it narrows to a dual carriageway and there is way too much traffic on it. I did it on a Saturday morning once and even then it was rammed with traffic, I'd aim to do it on a Sunday, especially if you've just arrived from the UK because you'll be knackered.

It's probably the most boring freeway in AZ, but there's nothing especially dangerous about it. Of course, pussy out-of-state drivers will be intimidated -- it's just the way we are.

Take the 79 from Florence if you want to avoid I-10. It pops out near Biosphere 2 and the cacti are quite wonderful along the way.
Old Sep 9th 2011, 4:47 pm

Noorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by fatbrit

It's probably the most boring freeway in AZ, but there's nothing especially dangerous about it. Of course, pussy out-of-state drivers will be intimidated -- it's just the way we are.

Take the 79 from Florence if you want to avoid I-10. It pops out near Biosphere 2 and the cacti are quite wonderful along the way.
A lot of road work has been done recently on I-10 between Phoenix and Tucson, and I think it's a huge improvement. Some parts may still be narrow, but a lot of it is now 3 or 4 lanes of newly paved highway and it's really nice!

I agree with fatbrit, the "back roads" between Phoenix and Tucson are much more pleasant and scenic.

If you have time, Kartchner Caverns is also southeast of Tucson, makes a nice day trip. If you've never seen a cave before, it's really good....but if you've seen others, this one will not be as awesome.

Rene
Old Sep 11th 2011, 6:55 pm
BE Forum Addict

HarryTheSpider has a reputation beyond reputeHarryTheSpider has a reputation beyond reputeHarryTheSpider has a reputation beyond reputeHarryTheSpider has a reputation beyond reputeHarryTheSpider has a reputation beyond reputeHarryTheSpider has a reputation beyond reputeHarryTheSpider has a reputation beyond reputeHarryTheSpider has a reputation beyond reputeHarryTheSpider has a reputation beyond reputeHarryTheSpider has a reputation beyond reputeHarryTheSpider has a reputation beyond repute

We did this trip back in November last year.

The I-10 is OK if you do it once - i.e., down to Tucson - it's dull on the way back.

Take a 'back' road as suggested - there's some stunning scenery in AZ.

If you can spare the time, you can wind your way down & through the Superstition Mountains for some truly epic scenery if you're that way inclined.

The San Xavier Mission is worth a visit too - I'm very much an 'air head' as in 'interested in air / air force' stuff so understand your primary reason for going AND I very much enjoyed the San Xavier Mission too - it is a working church, so if you go on a Sunday it will be very busy AND/BUT the little market outside, run by the local Indians, sells all manner of interesting stuff to wear - and to eat!

Enjoy!

Cheers

HTS
Old Sep 11th 2011, 7:14 pm
Septicity

fatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by HarryTheSpider
If you can spare the time, you can wind your way down & through the Superstition Mountains for some truly epic scenery if you're that way inclined.
The route via Kearny is certainly worth the extra. As is the 5-minute detour via the centre of Superior should you wonder what happens to a mining town when the mine closes!
Old Sep 12th 2011, 1:10 am
BE Enthusiast

Jscl has a reputation beyond reputeJscl has a reputation beyond reputeJscl has a reputation beyond reputeJscl has a reputation beyond reputeJscl has a reputation beyond reputeJscl has a reputation beyond reputeJscl has a reputation beyond reputeJscl has a reputation beyond reputeJscl has a reputation beyond reputeJscl has a reputation beyond reputeJscl has a reputation beyond repute

Don't miss the Arizona-Sonora Desert Museum
http://www.desertmuseum.org/
Old Sep 12th 2011, 4:32 pm
Grumpy Know-it-all

Steve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by fatbrit

It's a deathtrap, I don't know the last time you guys went on it but I know deathtraps when I see them. Last time I did it was in February. Maybe you got lucky with the traffic or something but like I said, I did it on a Saturday morning. Rammed with traffic, nose to tail, road is far too narrow. Bear in mind I live in Alberta and I have to drive in extremely harsh winter conditions, and even by those standards I considered it dangerous. Maybe I was just unlucky that particular day but no question that road is overloaded. And it was dangerous in both directions. And yes there are roadworks on it too, where it gets dodgy is when it narrows down to dual carriageway.