British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   USA (https://britishexpats.com/forum/usa-57/)
-   -   Turkey Leftovers (https://britishexpats.com/forum/usa-57/turkey-leftovers-340175/)

Bob Nov 29th 2005 5:52 pm

Turkey Leftovers

Well I'm all out of ideas...I've got a turkey tortilla thingy, a stir fry, a soup/stew, a turkey pot pie...and now running out of ideas for dinner...so whatelse have you lot done with turkey?

i'm thinking of a potato bake with a vodka and tomato sauce, but that's a bit of a stretch...oh, and somin' easy :D

BigDavyG Nov 29th 2005 6:09 pm

Re: Turkey Leftovers

Originally Posted by Bob
Well I'm all out of ideas...I've got a turkey tortilla thingy, a stir fry, a soup/stew, a turkey pot pie...and now running out of ideas for dinner...so whatelse have you lot done with turkey?

i'm thinking of a potato bake with a vodka and tomato sauce, but that's a bit of a stretch...oh, and somin' easy :D

How about cold cuts with cheese, coleslaw, crusty bread and BRANSTON PICKLE

Celsius Nov 29th 2005 6:39 pm

Originally Posted by Bob

What about making some croquettes? Mashed potato, cooked carrots, cooked peas, onions and of course the turkey. Roll croquettes in seasoned breadcrumbs and fry or shallow fry.

Great with brown sauce or tomato ketchup.

ironporer Nov 29th 2005 6:41 pm

Originally Posted by Bob

Mom always made a turkey/broccoli/cheese/noodle cassarole thing that was pretty good....if you're into cassaroles that is.

Last year we finally ground it up and fed it to the damn cats...who got sick of it too.

I for one am damn glad that Squanto had no ostriches to kill and bring to the pilgrams tables....

Ray Nov 29th 2005 6:41 pm

Time to throw the Salmonella pile out ....

NJ_Dave Nov 29th 2005 6:42 pm

Originally Posted by Bob

The wife made soup and pot pies with most of our leftovers. She also made a big bowl of turkey salad. Then I ground up the rest in the food processor and fed it to the cats.

robskatie Nov 29th 2005 6:43 pm

Originally Posted by Ray
Time to throw the Salmonella pile out ....

Or curry it?!!

anotherlimey Nov 29th 2005 6:46 pm

Turkey is virtually tasteless so marinade it in WD40 and gasoline, then use it to start your winter fires.

Bob Nov 29th 2005 7:06 pm

Originally Posted by BigDavyG
How about cold cuts with cheese, coleslaw, crusty bread and BRANSTON PICKLE

sounds good...but lacking in decent bread and branston....hmmm...just making me hungry now though :D

Bob Nov 29th 2005 7:07 pm

Originally Posted by Celsius
What about making some croquettes? Mashed potato, cooked carrots, cooked peas, onions and of course the turkey. Roll croquettes in seasoned breadcrumbs and fry or shallow fry.

That would be good...might have to give that a go....

Bob Nov 29th 2005 7:09 pm

Originally Posted by ironporer
Mom always made a turkey/broccoli/cheese/noodle cassarole thing that was pretty good....if you're into cassaroles that is.

Last year we finally ground it up and fed it to the damn cats...who got sick of it too.

I for one am damn glad that Squanto had no ostriches to kill and bring to the pilgrams tables....

Slow cooker cassarole could be pretty good too, though probably a bit late to start that for today....and yeah, thank god they didn't come across ostriches *l*

Bob Nov 29th 2005 7:10 pm

Originally Posted by robskatie
Or curry it?!!

done some curried mayo turkey sarnies for lunch already...hmmm... :)

Partystar Nov 29th 2005 7:12 pm

Originally Posted by Bob

Turkey sandwich & soup is something that we eat a lot of around here. I love my turkey sandwich with Salad Cream, hubby likes it with mayonnaise & mustard.

Britdrinker Nov 29th 2005 7:20 pm

Originally Posted by robskatie
Or curry it?!!

I made a turkey balti with mine. Wasn't half bad ... well, the yanks ate it anyway.

BigDavyG Nov 29th 2005 7:22 pm

Originally Posted by Bob
sounds good...but lacking in decent bread and branston....hmmm...just making me hungry now though :D

Branston should be a doddle to find. You you have a jewel osco nearby. Any store that carries British stuff is almost guaranteed to have it.
The bread bit might be a bit harder mind you.