TurboTax

Old Feb 8th 2004, 2:13 pm
Banned

JulianB is a name known to allJulianB is a name known to allJulianB is a name known to allJulianB is a name known to allJulianB is a name known to allJulianB is a name known to allJulianB is a name known to allJulianB is a name known to allJulianB is a name known to allJulianB is a name known to allJulianB is a name known to all
Default TurboTax

Most of the guys at work are using TurboTax, and e-filing their tax returns. Some have refunds already. I thought I would give it a try, it's great software, easy to use, and it costs 30 bucks. Any thoughts?

www.turbotax.com
Old Feb 8th 2004, 2:49 pm
Pagan Sex God

Patrick has a reputation beyond reputePatrick has a reputation beyond reputePatrick has a reputation beyond reputePatrick has a reputation beyond reputePatrick has a reputation beyond reputePatrick has a reputation beyond reputePatrick has a reputation beyond reputePatrick has a reputation beyond reputePatrick has a reputation beyond reputePatrick has a reputation beyond reputePatrick has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: TurboTax

Originally posted by JulianB
Most of the guys at work are using TurboTax, and e-filing their tax returns. Some have refunds already. I thought I would give it a try, it's great software, easy to use, and it costs 30 bucks. Any thoughts?

www.turbotax.com
All my american neighbors have told me to use turbotax, personally I want to see a CPA as I have never filed taxes in the US before and don't want to **** it up the first time round. Next year maybe, I will use it

Patrick
Old Feb 8th 2004, 3:00 pm

Pulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: TurboTax

Like Patrick, I wouldn't rule it out in future, but I'm still finding my feet with US tax returns.

If you have nothing more than earned income, stock dividends, bank interest, and a mortgage interest deduction then I'm sure it's a great product.
Old Feb 8th 2004, 3:07 pm
BE Forum Addict

Pimpbot has a reputation beyond reputePimpbot has a reputation beyond reputePimpbot has a reputation beyond reputePimpbot has a reputation beyond reputePimpbot has a reputation beyond reputePimpbot has a reputation beyond reputePimpbot has a reputation beyond reputePimpbot has a reputation beyond reputePimpbot has a reputation beyond reputePimpbot has a reputation beyond reputePimpbot has a reputation beyond repute

My wife has already done ours through Turbo Tax, and we shall be spending(losing) are refund in Vegas tomorrow.
Old Feb 8th 2004, 3:46 pm
Ping-ponger

dunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond repute

Have used it for several years and it's great. Depending on how complicated your situation is, you buy whatever level is most appropriate (basic, deluxe, etc.).

However, if you are in a complicated expat situation, it may not answer all the questions you have. When I first wanted to use it, for example, it didn't have the 1040-NR form (I was a nonresident for tax purposes at the time).

I like the fact that you can do it in bits and pieces, make changes, etc., without having to re-write everything. This function also allows you to figure out different "scenarios" for future tax years (e.g., if you are thinking of having major repairs done to your house, and you have a home office, you can see approximately how that would affect your taxes).
Old Feb 8th 2004, 4:48 pm
BE Forum Addict

Taffyles has a reputation beyond reputeTaffyles has a reputation beyond reputeTaffyles has a reputation beyond reputeTaffyles has a reputation beyond reputeTaffyles has a reputation beyond reputeTaffyles has a reputation beyond reputeTaffyles has a reputation beyond reputeTaffyles has a reputation beyond reputeTaffyles has a reputation beyond reputeTaffyles has a reputation beyond reputeTaffyles has a reputation beyond repute

I use Turbotax every year- its great. Although if you've never done US taxes before its worth getting a professional until you know what you're doing. Turbo tax gives online access to tax professionals on the phone or online for specific questions. They also have a service where you can submit your return when its finished to a tax professional (for a small fee) to overlook your return and see that all is in order before you file to IRS. I find all the answers I need in their help section but I do take out the audit defense service, so that if we are audited they will deal with the IRS for us and defend the return. I also purchase the "It's deductible" software for $19.95- this is only valuable if you donate clothes etc to charity (Goodwill) and are itemizing on your return- it gives you the fair market value price of goods you donate and can claim on your return. It also organises your claims properly and can be imported into your return. I use Quicken too for all our finances and import information from there. Taxes are a breeze now. All these little extra fees plus the software can be claimed on your return too as monies paid for tax preparation.
My kids use my software too for their taxes- so it really is cheap, compared to what places like H&R block charge.

I've finished with my turbotax this year- taxes done and filed, so if anyone wants the software pm me and I'll send it to you- even if you just want to play about with it and learn.