Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

Tudor House Tea Room, Santa Monica

Tudor House Tea Room, Santa Monica

Old Jul 20th 2012, 12:57 pm
The worse half of Weeze

Mr Weeze has a reputation beyond reputeMr Weeze has a reputation beyond reputeMr Weeze has a reputation beyond reputeMr Weeze has a reputation beyond reputeMr Weeze has a reputation beyond reputeMr Weeze has a reputation beyond reputeMr Weeze has a reputation beyond reputeMr Weeze has a reputation beyond reputeMr Weeze has a reputation beyond reputeMr Weeze has a reputation beyond reputeMr Weeze has a reputation beyond repute
Default Tudor House Tea Room, Santa Monica

I heard this on NPR this morning. Apparently an (ex) expat haven. It's closing down after 50 years in business. Not as many Brits in the Santa Monica area any more.

http://www.thetudorhouse.com/

I presume there are people on here who have been before - will you miss it?
Old Jul 20th 2012, 4:34 pm

N1cky has a reputation beyond reputeN1cky has a reputation beyond reputeN1cky has a reputation beyond reputeN1cky has a reputation beyond reputeN1cky has a reputation beyond reputeN1cky has a reputation beyond reputeN1cky has a reputation beyond reputeN1cky has a reputation beyond reputeN1cky has a reputation beyond reputeN1cky has a reputation beyond reputeN1cky has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Tudor House Tea Room, Santa Monica

Originally Posted by Mr Weeze
I heard this on NPR this morning. Apparently an (ex) expat haven. It's closing down after 50 years in business. Not as many Brits in the Santa Monica area any more.

I'm only surprised it's survived this long. The Kings Head is just around the corner and it's store was always better stocked and alot cheaper. I never went for 'afternoon tea' $40 for some little sandwiches and a cuppa, when you can get steak pie and chips and a pint around the corner. I doubt the reason they are closing is due to less Brits, just less people being suckered into paying their OT prices. Plus they have a prime position just of 3rd street, if they own the building they will make a killing.
Old Jul 20th 2012, 7:55 pm
BE Enthusiast

markwm has much to be proud ofmarkwm has much to be proud ofmarkwm has much to be proud ofmarkwm has much to be proud ofmarkwm has much to be proud ofmarkwm has much to be proud ofmarkwm has much to be proud ofmarkwm has much to be proud ofmarkwm has much to be proud ofmarkwm has much to be proud ofmarkwm has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by Mr Weeze

I don't get the idea that you come to live here but cling to your old life by spending time and money in English stores. If I wanted to do that I'd have stayed in the UK.

The one time I tried the Kings Head I thought it was awful: overpriced with below average food and someones idea of what a pub should be if you're a cockney living in Bow in the early 50s and have a horse.
Old Jul 20th 2012, 8:03 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Sally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond repute

I have only been once, it was actually a very nice afternoon tea with lots of little sandwiches and cakes and a big pot of tea. However one visit wasn't going to keep it in business

I'm surprised there are not so many Brits in the Santa Monica area. Where have they gone?
Old Jul 20th 2012, 8:21 pm

Noorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond repute

I've never been to the Tudor House, but been to King's Head many times and loved it!

Rene
Old Jul 20th 2012, 8:24 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Sally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Noorah101
I've never been to the Tudor House, but been to King's Head many times and loved it!

Rene
Yeah I think the King's Head is good for a pub over here. It's in a nice position on a real street, too, not in a shopping centre like the one in Thousand Oaks.
Old Jul 21st 2012, 3:30 am
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat097 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat097 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat097 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat097 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat097 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat097 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat097 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat097 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat097 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat097 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat097 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Sally Redux
I have only been once, it was actually a very nice afternoon tea with lots of little sandwiches and cakes and a big pot of tea. However one visit wasn't going to keep it in business

I'm surprised there are not so many Brits in the Santa Monica area. Where have they gone?
We visited twice when daughter lived in the area. It was interesting, a bit expensive but the best part was the Irish waitress with the attitude. She had us laughing at her over the top comments to some of the customers. It was the highlight of the afternoon.
Old Jul 21st 2012, 3:34 am
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat097 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat097 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat097 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat097 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat097 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat097 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat097 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat097 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat097 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat097 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat097 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by markwm
I don't get the idea that you come to live but cling to your old life by spending time and money in English stores. If I wanted to do that I'd have stayed in the UK.

The one time I tried the Kings Head I thought it was awful: overpriced with below average food and someones idea of what a pub should be if you're a cockney living in Bow in the early 50s and have a horse.
Depends how long you've been here and how rarely you get to go home, and besides that there is nothing wrong with enjoying something you miss.

I don't actually call that "clinging"
Old Jul 21st 2012, 4:39 am
BE Enthusiast

markwm has much to be proud ofmarkwm has much to be proud ofmarkwm has much to be proud ofmarkwm has much to be proud ofmarkwm has much to be proud ofmarkwm has much to be proud ofmarkwm has much to be proud ofmarkwm has much to be proud ofmarkwm has much to be proud ofmarkwm has much to be proud ofmarkwm has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by Sugarmooma
Depends how long you've been here and how rarely you get to go home, and besides that there is nothing wrong with enjoying something you miss.
Didn't say there was; I just don't get it.

Originally Posted by Sugarmooma
I don't actually call that "clinging"
So what do you call it?
Old Jul 21st 2012, 1:28 pm
Account Closed

Originally Posted by markwm
Didn't say there was; I just don't get it.

So what do you call it?
I told you..it's enjoying something you miss. What is wrong with that?

Just because you move somewhere else doesn't mean you have to forget your previous life does it???

A bit like not forgetting the football team you supported and making sure you see games when you can online or cable/satellite TV.......

Last edited by scrubbedexpat097; Jul 21st 2012 at 1:34 pm.