Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

TSA - Time to Stop Aviating?

TSA - Time to Stop Aviating?

Old Nov 13th 2010, 9:43 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Kaffy Mintcake has a reputation beyond reputeKaffy Mintcake has a reputation beyond reputeKaffy Mintcake has a reputation beyond reputeKaffy Mintcake has a reputation beyond reputeKaffy Mintcake has a reputation beyond reputeKaffy Mintcake has a reputation beyond reputeKaffy Mintcake has a reputation beyond reputeKaffy Mintcake has a reputation beyond reputeKaffy Mintcake has a reputation beyond reputeKaffy Mintcake has a reputation beyond reputeKaffy Mintcake has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: TSA - Time to Stop Aviating?

I've flown a lot this year and have gone through the body scan many times. It really didn't seem to take that long. Sure, I'd rather that I didn't have to do it, but I'm not going to lose sleep over it either.

What's annoying is when someone doesn't know the guidelines and holds the whole line up.
Old Nov 13th 2010, 10:27 pm
BE Forum Addict

CelticRover has a reputation beyond reputeCelticRover has a reputation beyond reputeCelticRover has a reputation beyond reputeCelticRover has a reputation beyond reputeCelticRover has a reputation beyond reputeCelticRover has a reputation beyond reputeCelticRover has a reputation beyond reputeCelticRover has a reputation beyond reputeCelticRover has a reputation beyond reputeCelticRover has a reputation beyond reputeCelticRover has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Yorkieabroad
A few years ago I lost a silver engraved penknife that was my great grandfathers. I realized about it during checkin, put it in my suitcase (unocked due to TSA regulations), and when I got to the other end, it was gone. If I'd left it in my pocket I'd probably still have it.....
I had to give mine up also. The plane had a jovial male flight steward who liked to take the piss, but when I asked him jokingly if I could have my knife back because I needed it, I thought for a minute he was going to turn the flight around. I had to soothe him and we continued on to our destination .
Old Nov 15th 2010, 12:16 am

Yorkieabroad has a reputation beyond reputeYorkieabroad has a reputation beyond reputeYorkieabroad has a reputation beyond reputeYorkieabroad has a reputation beyond reputeYorkieabroad has a reputation beyond reputeYorkieabroad has a reputation beyond reputeYorkieabroad has a reputation beyond reputeYorkieabroad has a reputation beyond reputeYorkieabroad has a reputation beyond reputeYorkieabroad has a reputation beyond reputeYorkieabroad has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Brit3964
Correct me if I'm wrong but wasn't the whole idea of the TSA to stop anybody planning an attack to board the airplane in the first place? .
Can't argue with that - nothing in any of my posts has suggested anything different has it? Which is exactly why I don't think any section of the people boarding the plane should have a blanket exemption from the final line of ground security, whatever form that may take. It may not be perfect - in fact it may be a long way from perfect - but I can't understand how allowing anyone to by-pass it could make it any more effective?
Old Nov 15th 2010, 12:23 am
BE Enthusiast

Wolfy has a reputation beyond reputeWolfy has a reputation beyond reputeWolfy has a reputation beyond reputeWolfy has a reputation beyond reputeWolfy has a reputation beyond reputeWolfy has a reputation beyond reputeWolfy has a reputation beyond reputeWolfy has a reputation beyond reputeWolfy has a reputation beyond reputeWolfy has a reputation beyond reputeWolfy has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Yorkieabroad
Already happening...have seen BA and Ryan Air bosses on the telly in the last week calling for relaxation of the rules.....not that they're going to get anywhere.....and I think they know it. I don't think they would really want to take the risk of being the ones to get the rules relaxed then get blown out of the air by the jimmy with a liter bottle of explosives the week after the current rules get relaxed....
Not only that but cargo liners found with devices on east midlands and germany i think, so tbh more checks the better, but they have to do proper checks
Old Nov 15th 2010, 1:32 am
Septic Sprout

tonrob has a reputation beyond reputetonrob has a reputation beyond reputetonrob has a reputation beyond reputetonrob has a reputation beyond reputetonrob has a reputation beyond reputetonrob has a reputation beyond reputetonrob has a reputation beyond reputetonrob has a reputation beyond reputetonrob has a reputation beyond reputetonrob has a reputation beyond reputetonrob has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Wolfy
Not only that but cargo liners found with devices on east midlands and germany i think, so tbh more checks the better, but they have to do proper checks
No - not more checks, just proper (i.e. appropriate) ones.
Old Nov 15th 2010, 8:47 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Dogbyte has a reputation beyond reputeDogbyte has a reputation beyond reputeDogbyte has a reputation beyond reputeDogbyte has a reputation beyond reputeDogbyte has a reputation beyond reputeDogbyte has a reputation beyond reputeDogbyte has a reputation beyond reputeDogbyte has a reputation beyond reputeDogbyte has a reputation beyond reputeDogbyte has a reputation beyond reputeDogbyte has a reputation beyond repute

What would people prefer. Losing ones 'Ego' and personal liberties over the checks or being blown to smithereens. Full stop,simple.
Old Nov 15th 2010, 9:03 pm
Septic Sprout

tonrob has a reputation beyond reputetonrob has a reputation beyond reputetonrob has a reputation beyond reputetonrob has a reputation beyond reputetonrob has a reputation beyond reputetonrob has a reputation beyond reputetonrob has a reputation beyond reputetonrob has a reputation beyond reputetonrob has a reputation beyond reputetonrob has a reputation beyond reputetonrob has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Dogbyte
What would people prefer. Losing ones 'Ego' and personal liberties over the checks or being blown to smithereens. Full stop,simple.
Sorry - going to have to call bollocks on your logic on that one. It's not an either/or, and it's not simple in the slightest. It is not logical to go to any lengths imaginable in order to avoid harm. You could never get out of bed, and still have the roof collapse on top of you.
Old Nov 15th 2010, 9:06 pm
BE Forum Addict

Brit3964 has a reputation beyond reputeBrit3964 has a reputation beyond reputeBrit3964 has a reputation beyond reputeBrit3964 has a reputation beyond reputeBrit3964 has a reputation beyond reputeBrit3964 has a reputation beyond reputeBrit3964 has a reputation beyond reputeBrit3964 has a reputation beyond reputeBrit3964 has a reputation beyond reputeBrit3964 has a reputation beyond reputeBrit3964 has a reputation beyond repute

This is well-timed for this debate...

Refusal of Calif airport screening is Internet hit

A man who refused a body scan and pat-down search at a San Diego airport has become an Internet sensation in the debate weighing fliers' security versus their privacy.

John Tyner posted a cell phone audio recording of his half-hour encounter Saturday at Lindbergh Field.

The software engineer couldn't board a flight after refusing a full-body scan that reveals an image of what's under his clothes. He also wouldn't allow a Transportation Security Administration worker to conduct a groin check. Tyner tells the worker, "If you touch my junk, I'm gonna have you arrested."

Tyner's blog says he left the airport _ but only after being threatened with a lawsuit and fine for failing to complete security screening.

A TSA statement Sunday said body scans and pat-downs make flying safer.

http://www.rr.com/news/topic/article...cmpid=RRWMHero
Old Nov 15th 2010, 9:19 pm
Septic Sprout

Here's a call for men to wear kilts on Opt Out Day!

http://www.theatlantic.com/national/...w-twist/66545/

Old Nov 22nd 2010, 2:32 am
L2, GC, Surrey, OH, TX!

MsElui has a reputation beyond reputeMsElui has a reputation beyond reputeMsElui has a reputation beyond reputeMsElui has a reputation beyond reputeMsElui has a reputation beyond reputeMsElui has a reputation beyond reputeMsElui has a reputation beyond reputeMsElui has a reputation beyond reputeMsElui has a reputation beyond reputeMsElui has a reputation beyond reputeMsElui has a reputation beyond repute

VERY funny!
Old Nov 22nd 2010, 2:21 pm

chartreuse is an unknown quantity at this point

There must be something in the water at San Diego. Following on from Brit3964's post, now this:

TSA airport screeners gone wild in San Diego- again

This time the defendant, Sam Wolanyk says he was asked to pass through the 3-D x-ray machine. When Wolanyk refused, Transportation Security Administration (TSA) personnel told him he would have to be patted down before he could pass through and board his airplane.

Wolanyk said he knew what was coming and took off his pants and shirt, leaving him in Calvin Klein bike undergarments.

“It was obvious that my underwear left nothing to the imagination,” he explained. “But that wasn’t enough for the TSA supervisor who was called to the scene and asked me to put my clothes on so I could be properly patted down.
In other words, the man was arrested because he failed to comply with the supervisor's demand that he pretend to conceal something so that the screeners could pretend to look for it.
Old Nov 22nd 2010, 3:09 pm
Septic Sprout

Originally Posted by chartreuse
There must be something in the water at San Diego. Following on from Brit3964's post, now this:

TSA airport screeners gone wild in San Diego- again

In other words, the man was arrested because he failed to comply with the supervisor's demand that he pretend to conceal something so that the screeners could pretend to look for it.
There's a couple of threads on Flyertalk about how best to handle being groped by the TSA, ranging from moaning with pleasure, directing them to rub a bit more where it feels best or simply trying to time a fart to best effect. I do believe that stripping off was one strategy mentioned so maybe our San Diego fellow was trying out that one.
Old Nov 22nd 2010, 3:25 pm
Peace onion

Octang Frye has a reputation beyond reputeOctang Frye has a reputation beyond reputeOctang Frye has a reputation beyond reputeOctang Frye has a reputation beyond reputeOctang Frye has a reputation beyond reputeOctang Frye has a reputation beyond reputeOctang Frye has a reputation beyond reputeOctang Frye has a reputation beyond reputeOctang Frye has a reputation beyond reputeOctang Frye has a reputation beyond reputeOctang Frye has a reputation beyond repute

Whoops, I meant to post this here.

The TSA keeps trotting out the underwear bomber as an excuse about why we need this invasive screening.

Let's go back over the facts.

The underwear bomber Abdulmutallab’s father reported him to the CIA, saying that he was was worried his son had become radicalized in Yemen.

Abdulmutallab was subsequently on a no-fly list, purchased a one-way ticket - in cash - and had no luggage.

Yet he was still able to fly?.... Hmm....
Is it even possible to have any more red flags than that?

So because of their monumental incompetence - or perhaps an ulterior motive $$$.... - we now have to be degraded and groped.

What a world.
Old Nov 22nd 2010, 3:28 pm
Peace onion

Octang Frye has a reputation beyond reputeOctang Frye has a reputation beyond reputeOctang Frye has a reputation beyond reputeOctang Frye has a reputation beyond reputeOctang Frye has a reputation beyond reputeOctang Frye has a reputation beyond reputeOctang Frye has a reputation beyond reputeOctang Frye has a reputation beyond reputeOctang Frye has a reputation beyond reputeOctang Frye has a reputation beyond reputeOctang Frye has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Dogbyte
Your post makes no sense. What does "losing ones[sic] 'Ego'" mean?

Blown to smithereens? The TSA hasn't stopped one terrorist.
Old Nov 22nd 2010, 3:59 pm
Septic Sprout

TSA chief trying to make out that it's the people who opt out of scans rather than the TSA themselves who will cause Thanksgiving delays:

http://www.google.com/hostednews/ap/...86e9917abcfd38

God I hate these self-serving, truth-twisting bunch of twats.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.