Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

TSA PreCheck Experience

TSA PreCheck Experience

Old Mar 7th 2020, 1:36 pm
Forum Regular

ss120396 has a reputation beyond reputess120396 has a reputation beyond reputess120396 has a reputation beyond reputess120396 has a reputation beyond reputess120396 has a reputation beyond reputess120396 has a reputation beyond reputess120396 has a reputation beyond reputess120396 has a reputation beyond reputess120396 has a reputation beyond reputess120396 has a reputation beyond reputess120396 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: TSA PreCheck Experience

Originally Posted by Steerpike
When I was travelling a lot, if would get TSA Pre on my boarding pass 50% of the time without asking for it and without having 'qualified'. I heard it was something of a 'promotional' thing and/or possibly a perk for frequent flyers. But I presume they do at least 'some' level of screening ... perhaps ... . I wonder if you'd still get it if your name happened to be 'Osama Bin Laden II' ?

This article speaks of a bill to limit some 'abuses' - https://www.forbes.com/sites/johnnyj.../#6b688ea410a2 . But this only attempts to limit 'use' to those who have it on their boarding pass. How I, and others referred to in this thread, were able to get it on their ticket without even applying is a bit of a mystery!
It's called "Managed Inclusion" and lets some travelers deemed "low risk" through who haven't signed up. They were originally supposed to end this back in 2015 but it still seems to be going on.
Old Mar 7th 2020, 3:00 pm
Concierge

Rete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond repute

This has only occurred for me when I purchased the tickets under my credit card for myself and the other flyer, i.e. my husband or granddaughter. So assumed since the TSA was mine, it extended to both of us.
Old Mar 7th 2020, 6:57 pm
Forum Regular

vespucci has a reputation beyond reputevespucci has a reputation beyond reputevespucci has a reputation beyond reputevespucci has a reputation beyond reputevespucci has a reputation beyond reputevespucci has a reputation beyond reputevespucci has a reputation beyond reputevespucci has a reputation beyond reputevespucci has a reputation beyond reputevespucci has a reputation beyond reputevespucci has a reputation beyond repute

If they put you on TSA Pre they should tell you- I suspect that I may have been in very long lines needlessly several times because I didn't know about TSA Pre and that I should check my boarding pass for it. I only found out about it my last couple of flights. An official told me not to take my shoes off and said something about age- presumably if you're older you're more likely to be put on TSA Pre.
Old Mar 7th 2020, 7:15 pm
tht
DE-UK-NZ-IE-US... the TYP

tht has a reputation beyond reputetht has a reputation beyond reputetht has a reputation beyond reputetht has a reputation beyond reputetht has a reputation beyond reputetht has a reputation beyond reputetht has a reputation beyond reputetht has a reputation beyond reputetht has a reputation beyond reputetht has a reputation beyond reputetht has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by vespucci
If they put you on TSA Pre they should tell you- I suspect that I may have been in very long lines needlessly several times because I didn't know about TSA Pre and that I should check my boarding pass for it. I only found out about it my last couple of flights. An official told me not to take my shoes off and said something about age- presumably if you're older you're more likely to be put on TSA Pre.
That is exactly what they do, they print “TSA Pre ✅” on your boarding pass to let you know if your are eligible that flight....
Old Mar 7th 2020, 7:50 pm
Forum Regular

vespucci has a reputation beyond reputevespucci has a reputation beyond reputevespucci has a reputation beyond reputevespucci has a reputation beyond reputevespucci has a reputation beyond reputevespucci has a reputation beyond reputevespucci has a reputation beyond reputevespucci has a reputation beyond reputevespucci has a reputation beyond reputevespucci has a reputation beyond reputevespucci has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by tht
That is exactly what they do, they print “TSA Pre ✅” on your boarding pass to let you know if your are eligible that flight....
But some people (like me, for a long time) don't know about it. They should have someone before the security lines check your boarding pass and tell you.
Old Mar 7th 2020, 8:23 pm
tht
DE-UK-NZ-IE-US... the TYP

tht has a reputation beyond reputetht has a reputation beyond reputetht has a reputation beyond reputetht has a reputation beyond reputetht has a reputation beyond reputetht has a reputation beyond reputetht has a reputation beyond reputetht has a reputation beyond reputetht has a reputation beyond reputetht has a reputation beyond reputetht has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by vespucci
But some people (like me, for a long time) don't know about it. They should have someone before the security lines check your boarding pass and tell you.
They do have someone at the Pre line to make sure that it’s printed on there before you can enter. Not sure it would be worth having someone for the very small amount of people who get it and do t know about it. I have sometimes used the premium or regular line instead of Pre if it happens to look like it will be faster.
Old Mar 8th 2020, 4:14 am
BE Forum Addict

neill has a reputation beyond reputeneill has a reputation beyond reputeneill has a reputation beyond reputeneill has a reputation beyond reputeneill has a reputation beyond reputeneill has a reputation beyond reputeneill has a reputation beyond reputeneill has a reputation beyond reputeneill has a reputation beyond reputeneill has a reputation beyond reputeneill has a reputation beyond repute

If you travel Via or to Canada fairly frequently i'd recommend NEXUS. Can+US privileges + TSA Pre + GE all for $50. Requires interview with both US and Canadian Immigration at a Canadian POE.
Old Mar 28th 2020, 6:59 pm
BE Forum Addict

Dan725 has a reputation beyond reputeDan725 has a reputation beyond reputeDan725 has a reputation beyond reputeDan725 has a reputation beyond reputeDan725 has a reputation beyond reputeDan725 has a reputation beyond reputeDan725 has a reputation beyond reputeDan725 has a reputation beyond reputeDan725 has a reputation beyond reputeDan725 has a reputation beyond reputeDan725 has a reputation beyond repute

I also recently got the Global Entry....took about 5 months for the conditional approval to come through. Interview dates are also apparently scarce to come by. Luckily, my approval came through while I was traveling overseas, and there is a little loophole in most US airports where you can do an immediate 'interview on arrival' with no appointment - in my case it was at JFK back in Jan.

I daresay the current climate will probably result in even bigger backlogs for the GE pre-approval process, but I think its worth having over the straight TSA precheck if you travel overseas a lot.