Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

TSA Policy change

TSA Policy change

Old Dec 4th 2005, 2:43 pm
Thinking about it

BigDavyG has a reputation beyond reputeBigDavyG has a reputation beyond reputeBigDavyG has a reputation beyond reputeBigDavyG has a reputation beyond reputeBigDavyG has a reputation beyond reputeBigDavyG has a reputation beyond reputeBigDavyG has a reputation beyond reputeBigDavyG has a reputation beyond reputeBigDavyG has a reputation beyond reputeBigDavyG has a reputation beyond reputeBigDavyG has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: TSA Policy change

Originally Posted by BigDavyG
OK, I really can't resist posting this.
I apologise if it causes anyone any offense, but it seems to fit in with this thread, and this is a british expats forum afterall, so everyone really should have a sense of humour (even though most of you are english )

Anyway, listen to this - it should make you laugh.

http://www.beecy.net/frank/
Sorry, as no one seems to have listened to my link I have to bump this thread.
It is very funny.
Old Dec 4th 2005, 5:42 pm
Maño-Americano

ironporer has a reputation beyond reputeironporer has a reputation beyond reputeironporer has a reputation beyond reputeironporer has a reputation beyond reputeironporer has a reputation beyond reputeironporer has a reputation beyond reputeironporer has a reputation beyond reputeironporer has a reputation beyond reputeironporer has a reputation beyond reputeironporer has a reputation beyond reputeironporer has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by TN-Dave
These days, I actually think about security checkpoints as well as comfort when I dress to travel by plane... oh well...
I sure wish more people did... I travel a lot and am constantly frustrated by the idiots who are too stupid to listen to the PA system, telling them to take off shoes and all metallic objects-- and arrive at the checkpoint with cell phone to ear, belt buckle, watch, change etc etc.

I travel in casual attire, no belt, tessis shoes and all my junk is in my briefcase prior to passing thru the metal detector. I am usually thru in 2 minutes and have only been wanded or patted one time.
Old Dec 4th 2005, 6:42 pm
Homebody

Elvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond repute

Since I have (at long last) been back at work for a few months now, I am taking anything between 6 and a dozen domestic flights a month. I have to say I've always found the TSA chaps and gals very polite and reasonable. But then again, I am always extra polite myself (a) because I realise how they can potentially inconvenience travellers if they choose to, and (b) because they are doing a shitty job for lousy pay, and I always try to be nice to such employees.

Now, travelling back from Europe can be altogether different. I do that 3-4 times a year. I've had some quite stroppy people at the security checkpoint at LHR. I've also seen other people being treated unfairly, for instance recently at Charles de Gaulle: a poor chap, clearly a student, was told he had too much hand luggage; he had a very small holdall plus a carrier bag containing what were clearly expensive text-books. He was in tears, not knowing what to do, but the security chap was adament. I wonder whether the fact that he was slightly dark-skinned (could have been from Middle East) had anything to do with the fact that he was given a hard time? Before and after him, Europeans and Americans with HUGE roll-ons PLUS large 'purses'/back-packs/shopping bags etc were let through without problem. To me that sucks.

The people that I often find obnoxous, though, are the ones that query you when you check in for a US flight in Europe. Some of them can be very unpleasant. Like the woman who gave me the nth degree, wanting to see my US driver's licence, where I worked, what my husband does for a living, what exactly had I been doing in Paris (which museums did you visit?!), show me your hotel bill...... Her whole attitude seemed to say 'I think you are a criminal until you prove to me otherwise' - it was unbelievable.