Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

TSA Policy change

Wikiposts

TSA Policy change

Old Dec 1st 2005, 7:56 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

anotherlimey has a reputation beyond reputeanotherlimey has a reputation beyond reputeanotherlimey has a reputation beyond reputeanotherlimey has a reputation beyond reputeanotherlimey has a reputation beyond reputeanotherlimey has a reputation beyond reputeanotherlimey has a reputation beyond reputeanotherlimey has a reputation beyond reputeanotherlimey has a reputation beyond reputeanotherlimey has a reputation beyond reputeanotherlimey has a reputation beyond repute
Default TSA Policy change

Perhaps they'll do something right from now on....

http://www.nytimes.com/2005/12/01/na...1security.html
Old Dec 1st 2005, 8:09 am
Thinking about it

BigDavyG has a reputation beyond reputeBigDavyG has a reputation beyond reputeBigDavyG has a reputation beyond reputeBigDavyG has a reputation beyond reputeBigDavyG has a reputation beyond reputeBigDavyG has a reputation beyond reputeBigDavyG has a reputation beyond reputeBigDavyG has a reputation beyond reputeBigDavyG has a reputation beyond reputeBigDavyG has a reputation beyond reputeBigDavyG has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: TSA Policy change

Originally Posted by anotherlimey

Can i take my nail clippers on board, that's the big question
Old Dec 1st 2005, 8:28 am
C'mon you Dragons

Schnorbitz is a splendid one to beholdSchnorbitz is a splendid one to beholdSchnorbitz is a splendid one to beholdSchnorbitz is a splendid one to beholdSchnorbitz is a splendid one to beholdSchnorbitz is a splendid one to beholdSchnorbitz is a splendid one to beholdSchnorbitz is a splendid one to beholdSchnorbitz is a splendid one to beholdSchnorbitz is a splendid one to beholdSchnorbitz is a splendid one to behold

If you take carry on baggage are you allowed to take a razor in your washbag?
Old Dec 1st 2005, 8:33 am
Septicity

fatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by anotherlimey

They don't seem to understand that if I want to be kept waiting unreasonably and humiliated at the same time, I'd rather visit Mistress Angelina's dungeon.
Old Dec 1st 2005, 8:46 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

anotherlimey has a reputation beyond reputeanotherlimey has a reputation beyond reputeanotherlimey has a reputation beyond reputeanotherlimey has a reputation beyond reputeanotherlimey has a reputation beyond reputeanotherlimey has a reputation beyond reputeanotherlimey has a reputation beyond reputeanotherlimey has a reputation beyond reputeanotherlimey has a reputation beyond reputeanotherlimey has a reputation beyond reputeanotherlimey has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Schnorbitz
If you take carry on baggage are you allowed to take a razor in your washbag?
Depends on the person in uniform as always.
Old Dec 1st 2005, 8:49 am
Thinking about it

BigDavyG has a reputation beyond reputeBigDavyG has a reputation beyond reputeBigDavyG has a reputation beyond reputeBigDavyG has a reputation beyond reputeBigDavyG has a reputation beyond reputeBigDavyG has a reputation beyond reputeBigDavyG has a reputation beyond reputeBigDavyG has a reputation beyond reputeBigDavyG has a reputation beyond reputeBigDavyG has a reputation beyond reputeBigDavyG has a reputation beyond repute

Do i still have to take my shoes off ???
Oh, and will any attempt to be pleasant to the security inspector still be greated with an evil death stare ???
Old Dec 1st 2005, 8:50 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Originally Posted by BigDavyG
evil death stare ???
They're just trying to sweat out the suicide bombers
Old Dec 1st 2005, 10:26 am
BE Forum Addict

Big D has a reputation beyond reputeBig D has a reputation beyond reputeBig D has a reputation beyond reputeBig D has a reputation beyond reputeBig D has a reputation beyond reputeBig D has a reputation beyond reputeBig D has a reputation beyond reputeBig D has a reputation beyond reputeBig D has a reputation beyond reputeBig D has a reputation beyond reputeBig D has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by BigDavyG
Do i still have to take my shoes off ???
Oh, and will any attempt to be pleasant to the security inspector still be greated with an evil death stare ???

Remarkably that has only ever happened to me once - last time in JFK - elsewhere they have always had a laugh and a joke - maybe its how you react to the ritual humiliation
Old Dec 1st 2005, 10:49 am
Thinking about it

Originally Posted by Big D
Remarkably that has only ever happened to me once - last time in JFK - elsewhere they have always had a laugh and a joke - maybe its how you react to the ritual humiliation
I'm always extremely polite and pleasant as i know these guys can make things extremely awkward for you if they want. I also think that they probably have to deal with a lot of rude idiots all day, so it would be nice to treat them with some civility, but alas my kindness has never been reciporcated.
I guess that they must just be jealous of my good looks
Old Dec 1st 2005, 1:40 pm
Not living a 9 to 5 life

NC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond repute
Exclamation Re: TSA Policy change

Ha. The randomness of searches of passengers reminded me when I flying from Pittsburgh (one of the three airports that was tested) to DC in '97. I was "patted down" by security and after the search, I asked if I was the 100th person to be searched. The security person said something like, "Yes. How do you know?" My response was, "... just a guess". Of course, this was before 9/11 and I wouldn't say such a thing nowadays 'cos I'd probably end up strip searched or worse...

Related to the NY Times article, I was on my way back to the US from Gatwick last week, I walked through the metal detector and it beeped. Before I knew what was happening, a security officer at LGW of the same sex as me was patting me down from head to toe. No, "could you..." or "please..." about it. I have to say I felt kind of violated 'cos I was not asked or informed of the search before it took place.

NC Penguin
Old Dec 1st 2005, 10:54 pm
Pass me the Marmite..

franc11s has a reputation beyond reputefranc11s has a reputation beyond reputefranc11s has a reputation beyond reputefranc11s has a reputation beyond reputefranc11s has a reputation beyond reputefranc11s has a reputation beyond reputefranc11s has a reputation beyond reputefranc11s has a reputation beyond reputefranc11s has a reputation beyond reputefranc11s has a reputation beyond reputefranc11s has a reputation beyond repute
Red face Re: TSA Policy change

The current rules are embarassing for the TSA,

More checks for terrorists that by last minure tickets - doesn't take a friggin rocket scientist to work out, they won't buy a last minute, first class, one way any more !!!

Travelling from Europe to the USA, you DO NOT have to remove shoes or take your laptop out of your bag or take your belt off... The LARGEST planes that fly INTO the USA and you don't have to do this. Der !!!!

Checking the boarding pass as you walk through the detector... Do they REALLY thing a terrorist won't even buy a $50 ticket to get a genuine boarding pass ?

Checking the picture ID matches the boarding pass. Again, do you think a terrorist would be that stupid or it would be that difficult to get a fake id that would match the boarding pass. MILLIONS of people are inconvenienced /checked everyday just in case it picks up an stupid terrorist, capable of making a bomb.

No scissors allowed BUT you CAN have real glass in first class for your drinks. Of course it's unbreakable glass - NOT !!

No matches but you can take a lighter. Now you can't take a lighter but you can still take a powerful batteries (phones, pda's. notebooks).

Why do I have to take my shoes off at SOME airports but NOT all..

I am SO looking forward to some common sense announcements today.. PLEASE...
Old Dec 2nd 2005, 12:20 am
Captain Caaaaaaveeemaaaan

TN-Dave is just really niceTN-Dave is just really niceTN-Dave is just really niceTN-Dave is just really niceTN-Dave is just really niceTN-Dave is just really niceTN-Dave is just really niceTN-Dave is just really niceTN-Dave is just really niceTN-Dave is just really niceTN-Dave is just really nice

I was singled out in Chicago once after I'd set off their metal detectors.... They actually had a GOOD system going then... you taken toone side and put through another metal detector so they kept everyone else moving... Then, after setting THAT one off, I was patted down and gone over with the wand.... At that time I didn't know better about metal belt buckles etc..... These days, I actually think about security checkpoints as well as comfort when I dress to travel by plane... oh well...
Old Dec 2nd 2005, 12:00 pm
Forum Regular

jamjar has much to be proud ofjamjar has much to be proud ofjamjar has much to be proud ofjamjar has much to be proud ofjamjar has much to be proud ofjamjar has much to be proud ofjamjar has much to be proud ofjamjar has much to be proud ofjamjar has much to be proud ofjamjar has much to be proud ofjamjar has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by TN-Dave
I was singled out in Chicago once after I'd set off their metal detectors.... They actually had a GOOD system going then... you taken toone side and put through another metal detector so they kept everyone else moving... Then, after setting THAT one off, I was patted down and gone over with the wand.... At that time I didn't know better about metal belt buckles etc..... These days, I actually think about security checkpoints as well as comfort when I dress to travel by plane... oh well...
I was flying from Washington Dulles to Manchester last December with my 3 kids (then ages 8,3,&1). All four of us had to take our shoes off, then they wanded me etc after I set off the metal detector. Finally they decided that my daughter's car seat needed to go through the x-ray machine. She was in the car seat and I had a luggage trolley type contraption on it so they made me get her out and remove that first. The minute they got that car seat through the xray machine I was left stranded with 3 kids all barefoot, the car seat, the dismantled car seat thingy, and the carry on bags blocking the way for all the other passengers. Why don't they have a seperate aisle for passengers that are going to take longer i.e. people with young children.?
Old Dec 2nd 2005, 2:11 pm
Pagan Sex God

Patrick has a reputation beyond reputePatrick has a reputation beyond reputePatrick has a reputation beyond reputePatrick has a reputation beyond reputePatrick has a reputation beyond reputePatrick has a reputation beyond reputePatrick has a reputation beyond reputePatrick has a reputation beyond reputePatrick has a reputation beyond reputePatrick has a reputation beyond reputePatrick has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by jamjar
I was flying from Washington Dulles to Manchester last December with my 3 kids (then ages 8,3,&1). All four of us had to take our shoes off, then they wanded me etc after I set off the metal detector. Finally they decided that my daughter's car seat needed to go through the x-ray machine. She was in the car seat and I had a luggage trolley type contraption on it so they made me get her out and remove that first. The minute they got that car seat through the xray machine I was left stranded with 3 kids all barefoot, the car seat, the dismantled car seat thingy, and the carry on bags blocking the way for all the other passengers. Why don't they have a seperate aisle for passengers that are going to take longer i.e. people with young children.?
Because that would be sensible and that would be against the current administrations policy which is

1. No measured responses - its either zero (Katrina) or an overreaction of biblical proportions (Iraq)

2. Implement policies that make sense

3. Use any form of common sense

4. Budget

5. Ignore the facts if they get in the way.

6. Only hire Haliburton
Old Dec 3rd 2005, 12:09 pm
Thinking about it

OK, I really can't resist posting this.
I apologise if it causes anyone any offense, but it seems to fit in with this thread, and this is a british expats forum afterall, so everyone really should have a sense of humour (even though most of you are english )

Anyway, listen to this - it should make you laugh.

http://www.beecy.net/frank/

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.