British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   USA (https://britishexpats.com/forum/usa-57/)
-   -   Trying to plan a trip from New York to LA (https://britishexpats.com/forum/usa-57/trying-plan-trip-new-york-la-587330/)

tonrob Jan 28th 2009 4:54 pm

Re: Trying to plan a trip from New York to LA

Originally Posted by zargof (Post 7222334)
Thanks! We did actually get to see some moose when we were in the White Mountains though.

We were determined. We drove into Elk Island NP - to all intents and purposes closed for the season but able to drive through - and saw a couple down a hill and across a field. Went stomping off after them, camera in hand and up to my balls in snow.

Footnote for concerned moose-lovers: they were far away so weren't disturbed by my antics.

another bloody yank Jan 28th 2009 5:00 pm

Originally Posted by tonrob (Post 7222342)
We were determined. We drove into Elk Island NP - to all intents and purposes closed for the season but able to drive through - and saw a couple down a hill and across a field. Went stomping off after them, camera in hand and up to my balls in snow.

Footnote for concerned moose-lovers: they were far away so weren't disturbed by my antics.

:lol: I'd be more concerned about you getting your arse stomped!

tonrob Jan 28th 2009 5:14 pm

Originally Posted by another bloody yank (Post 7222356)
:lol: I'd be more concerned about you getting your arse stomped!

You have a ladies' avatar. What gives?

meauxna Jan 28th 2009 5:21 pm

Originally Posted by tonrob (Post 7222386)

lol, I was gonna say!

You stole my post. :sneaky:

discoviking Jan 28th 2009 5:22 pm

Originally Posted by zargof (Post 7222330)
What was your point then? The OP is asking about a road trip, not the fastest way to get somewhere. Surely offering a route that was more interesting would be helpful?

I guess you missed that I was replying to an earlier post making a statement on how long it takes to drive from NY to CA taking a fast route. I was merely pointing out that it can be done faster than stated.

The point I was getting at was that given the time limitation of the OP, it might be useful to the OP to know a fast route as well, since there were some concerns about one way rentals vs round trips for example. The OP may also want to build in a few fast travel days between some of the points of interest he may actually want to spend time at, to use the time allocated more efficiently. I can see how that may not have been completely clear from my post, though.

I see many great suggestions for the OP in this thread - including yours - that I might even consider for a future roadtrip myself.

another bloody yank Jan 28th 2009 5:24 pm

Originally Posted by tonrob (Post 7222386)

Cassie10000 had it as hers this morning (although apparently hers was animated and I couldn't see it moving, dunno why) and people were telling her how awful it was. I changed to it as kind of a solidarity thing whereupon she immediately changed hers to something else, making me appear foolish.

I've just been to lazy to change it back despite threats of bodily harm from Leslie......

http://britishexpats.com/forum/showt...=587053&page=3

tonrob Jan 28th 2009 5:27 pm

Originally Posted by another bloody yank (Post 7222410)
Cassie10000 had it as hers this morning (although apparently hers was animated and I couldn't see it moving, dunno why) and people were telling her how awful it was. I changed to it as kind of a solidarity thing whereupon she immediately changed hers to something else, making me appear foolish.

I've just been to lazy to change it back despite threats of bodily harm from Leslie......

http://britishexpats.com/forum/showt...=587053&page=3

Well, it kinda suits you, so don't go changing it on my account. :p

another bloody yank Jan 28th 2009 5:30 pm

Originally Posted by tonrob (Post 7222421)
Well, it kinda suits you, so don't go changing it on my account. :p

I'm kinda warming to it myself...

tonrob Jan 28th 2009 5:40 pm

Originally Posted by another bloody yank (Post 7222430)
I'm kinda warming to it myself...

I might go and change my pint for a Babycham. You know, solidarity like.

meauxna Jan 28th 2009 6:34 pm

Originally Posted by tonrob (Post 7222456)
I might go and change my pint for a Babycham. You know, solidarity like.

rofl! Too bad you've had your karma for the day!