Reload this Page >

Trying to live in America...my story

Trying to live in America...my story

Old Apr 15th 2012, 5:41 pm
Just Joined

aj200019 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Trying to live in America...my story

Hi all,

I have read various threads in this section of peoples stories, how they tried to live in America etc. All to no avail. I can honestly say the most common theme here is that no matter how hard anyone tries, getting into America for longer than 3-6 months is impossible. I'll tell you my story of how I started going to the US and came to love it and then sadly miss it so much that is all I think about.

I am a 27yr old graduate. The first time I went to America was back in 2007 just before I started University. I had heard about the 'camp America' program and applied to do this after wasting 3yrs of my life working for a small insurance brokers. I wanted a break before I started Uni.

I applied for the program and was accepted. I then went for an interview at the US embassy in London and all was fine. I got my J-1 visa for 4 months and off I went and had the summer of my life! I worked for 2 months and then we travelled across the US (friends I made).

After my first year of University I decided to go back to the same camp I had worked at a year previous (this was in Wisconsin). Second year was even better and I made all kinds of friends. I was studying American studies at University as well so this really helped me.

During my second year I went on an exchange program and spent 8 months at a university in Indiana studying politics and history. This was when I met my current girlfriend. After graduating I decided to apply for a 6 month B1 visa which was granted. I moved out there to be with her and was under strict instructions not to work whilst there.

When the 6 months was about to expire, I applied for another 6 months. This was rejected due to no financial proof I could support myself for a further 6 months. Sadly to say, due to low funds I was bar tending in America for tips only and supported myself quite well.

After returning and having been back a year, I long to go back. I have a degree for a country I cannot live in, I'm not exceptional in a skilled area and me and my girlfriend have talked about a K-1 marriage visa but this is a huge leap on both our parts.

I would say my love affair with America is a tragic one that results in small trips and no longer stays. I have entire networks there now, friends and a lady but there is nothing in the way of visas to let me move there and live my life.

I don't know if this will help anyone but there are ways to get there for extended amounts of times but it is not easy with no clear sight of staying there long term.

A

Last edited by aj200019; Apr 15th 2012 at 5:47 pm.
Old Apr 15th 2012, 5:49 pm

Noorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Trying to live in America...my story

There are all sorts of visas out there for you. True, they may not be instantaneous, but something you can work towards for the next several years. Plus, if things work out with your girlfriend, and you guys decide on marriage, that is a clear path to living in the USA.

I don't think it's as doom and gloom as you make it sound.

If "getting into America for longer than 3 to 6 months is impossible", then how do you account for all the foreigners living in the USA right now? The answer is that it isn't "impossible", but perhaps "difficult".

Rene
Old Apr 15th 2012, 5:54 pm
Just Joined

aj200019 is an unknown quantity at this point

Rene,

Sorry you are right. I know it isn't 'impossible' but it is VERY hard. I can't see the marriage visa working out without at least having a chance at a 'real' relationship first (i.e living together etc). I don't know any other ways apart from marriage though. There is the studying option but I come from a poor family and post grad courses for say international students start at prices like $20,000 a year (which you cannot normally work on the visa).

Do you have any other advice you could give outside of studying and marriage that would allow for longer stays than 6 months tops?

A
Old Apr 15th 2012, 8:30 pm
Bob
BE Site Lead

Bob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by aj200019

Do you have any other advice you could give outside of studying and marriage that would allow for longer stays than 6 months tops?
90 day stretches...unless you get a B1/2, which is unlikely.

http://britishexpats.com/wiki/Pulask...ork_in_the_USA

It's a long term plan, unless you're a student or the like. You need a degree for the best chances of success anyway, so figure out a way.

Good luck
Old Apr 15th 2012, 9:28 pm
Account Closed

ian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond repute

I would say my love affair with America is a tragic one that results in small trips and no longer stays.
... not to mention working illegally! You know you weren't allowed to "work for free", right? The tips you made are considered income for US tax purposes. As you say, "tragic".

Ian
Old Apr 15th 2012, 9:49 pm

Snap Shot has a reputation beyond reputeSnap Shot has a reputation beyond reputeSnap Shot has a reputation beyond reputeSnap Shot has a reputation beyond reputeSnap Shot has a reputation beyond reputeSnap Shot has a reputation beyond reputeSnap Shot has a reputation beyond reputeSnap Shot has a reputation beyond reputeSnap Shot has a reputation beyond reputeSnap Shot has a reputation beyond reputeSnap Shot has a reputation beyond repute

I went to America on the 'Camp America' program (yep, American spelling) in 1988 when I was 21. I was at a camp in New Jersey, working as a 'counsellor' (let's face it, supervising adult would be a more correct description) it was very nice and I went travelling across America at the end of it. I'd previously been working in the UK for 3 years in the catering industry after 2 years at catering college and was ready for a change.

I didn't meet anyone or make any lasting friendships. I came home, happy to be back and got on with my life in Britain.

Good luck with your future plans.
Old Apr 15th 2012, 9:51 pm
BE Forum Addict

Location: Maryland (via Belfast, Manchester, Toronto and London)
MarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond repute

New immigrants arrive every day so it's certainly not impossible. H1B to green card to citizenship was the route I took.

As you know, there are 2 main options:

(1) Have skills that are in demand and find an employer who will sponsor you for H1B and green card. In my case it was IT skills (software development). My wife's a nurse so we probably could have gone that route too.

(2) Marry your girlfriend.

Pick one. If you pick neither, then move on with your life and do something else.
Old Apr 15th 2012, 10:07 pm
BE Forum Addict

Karrie72 has a reputation beyond reputeKarrie72 has a reputation beyond reputeKarrie72 has a reputation beyond reputeKarrie72 has a reputation beyond reputeKarrie72 has a reputation beyond reputeKarrie72 has a reputation beyond reputeKarrie72 has a reputation beyond reputeKarrie72 has a reputation beyond reputeKarrie72 has a reputation beyond reputeKarrie72 has a reputation beyond reputeKarrie72 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Ray and Debbie
I went to America on the 'Camp America' program (yep, American spelling) in 1988 when I was 21. I was at a camp in New Jersey, working as a 'counsellor' (let's face it, supervising adult would be a more correct description) it was very nice and I went travelling across America at the end of it. I'd previously been working in the UK for 3 years in the catering industry after 2 years at catering college and was ready for a change.

I didn't meet anyone or make any lasting friendships. I came home, happy to be back and got on with my life in Britain.

Good luck with your future plans.
Me too! Camp America that is...but I did meet someone, it was all very random and unintentional.
Old Apr 15th 2012, 10:40 pm

Noorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond repute

Yes. Continue to study in the UK and advance your degree and experience, and become exceptional in your field. Then, get a job with a UK firm that has offices in the USA, with a plan to get transferred after a year or more of working for that firm. Or, set your sights on an H1B and once you have the degree/experience, start applying. In the meantime, make contacts in your field and continue to network.

Also, have your girlfriend research moving to the UK for a while, to give you guys a chance to be together more. She can visit as a tourist for up to 6 months (as opposed to a UKC only getting 90 days at a stretch in the USA). She can look into working or going to school in the UK, also. It doesn't have to be all on your shoulders to try the "living together" route first.

It won't be immediate results, but in the long run it gives you a couple of ways to move to the USA.

Rene

Last edited by Noorah101; Apr 15th 2012 at 10:42 pm.
Old Apr 16th 2012, 3:56 am
Addicted to browsing BE

goldchoccycoin has a reputation beyond reputegoldchoccycoin has a reputation beyond reputegoldchoccycoin has a reputation beyond reputegoldchoccycoin has a reputation beyond reputegoldchoccycoin has a reputation beyond reputegoldchoccycoin has a reputation beyond reputegoldchoccycoin has a reputation beyond reputegoldchoccycoin has a reputation beyond reputegoldchoccycoin has a reputation beyond reputegoldchoccycoin has a reputation beyond reputegoldchoccycoin has a reputation beyond repute

Why not travel to a third country to spend time with your girlfriend - US citizens can get a Work and Holiday Visa and UK citizens can get a Working Holiday Visa to Australia (and I think similar in New Zealand). Might be a way of being together to see if the marriage think is on the cards!
Old Apr 16th 2012, 5:11 am
Just Joined

Techstyle is an unknown quantity at this point

Are you any good at Football?

There are a number of Guys here in Wisconsin that are here on Soccer Scholarships doing Bachelor and Masters degrees.