Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

Trying to find a job in NC

Trying to find a job in NC

Old Jul 30th 2003, 3:58 am
Pagan Sex God

Patrick has a reputation beyond reputePatrick has a reputation beyond reputePatrick has a reputation beyond reputePatrick has a reputation beyond reputePatrick has a reputation beyond reputePatrick has a reputation beyond reputePatrick has a reputation beyond reputePatrick has a reputation beyond reputePatrick has a reputation beyond reputePatrick has a reputation beyond reputePatrick has a reputation beyond repute

I think its a lot of things, if they don't automatically see qualifications they understand they disguard it. I have a degree and as soon as shops like Walmart and Target see that they disguard your application - why would a uni grad stack shelves and if they did they wouldn't stay very long so why should they hire me when there are 50 high school grads applying for the job.

I have tried the universities and schools. I have tried all the banks, all the government offices (county and city), all the shops, all the manufacturers...yada yada yada.

Another problem is that this is small city and it has a huge university campus so every part time job is taken before you can say "I can tend bar" - who would hire a 36 year old balding fat bloke when they could hire an 21 year blond student.

Patrick

Originally posted by nathan barley
Patrick is absolutely right, the economy is in a very difficult stage right now, and it makes it even more difficult for newcomers to this country like ourselves to get a foothold.

I've been looking for work for a month or two now, and no-one seems to be willing to go 'out on a limb' and employ someone who doesn't have US work experience or qualifications, even for something as simple as just general office work, even though you may be smarter or better suited than the other candidates. Never mind looking for work in my college and university study disciplines, mechanical engineering and design respectively. Pfft.

Patience is a virtue, and I know something will pop along eventually, but it's impossible not to get frustrated in the meantime.
Old Jul 30th 2003, 5:24 am
BE Forum Addict

Taffyles has a reputation beyond reputeTaffyles has a reputation beyond reputeTaffyles has a reputation beyond reputeTaffyles has a reputation beyond reputeTaffyles has a reputation beyond reputeTaffyles has a reputation beyond reputeTaffyles has a reputation beyond reputeTaffyles has a reputation beyond reputeTaffyles has a reputation beyond reputeTaffyles has a reputation beyond reputeTaffyles has a reputation beyond repute

Precisely- they pay kids less and no benefits, why would they hire someone who will cost them more.
No-one is going to employ someone who is over-qualified for the job either, because they know full well that you're going to be out of there at the first opportunity.

Well I'm not whingeing or out of work and my hubby earns a 6 figure salary in a secure job, and I agree with Patrick and others here that the economy is in really bad shape. You don't have to gather information if you live in the country- its all around you. People are worried here.

My hubby employed two people last week- a receptionist 10 bucks an hour- entry level- for which there were 300 applicants for the job, mostly from overqualified professional people -even accountants- willing to take that job just to get something.
4 years ago the company could not get workers to work for that low salary and had to use temp agencies.
He employed a senior exec with a 6 figure salary too- not because they had a position as such for him but because the guy brings X amount of millions in new business with him. The company is having its best year ever but they are still tightening their belts in all ways they can because of the economy.

I know a lot of people out here by now- and they all say the same thing, hiring freezes, pay raise freezes, cutbacks- an average of 250 applicants for any job advertised. Things have changed a lot in the last 10 years- and moreso since this administration has been in office.

Duncan in your position you have absolutely nothing to lose in coming out here and the best of luck to you mate, I reckon you deserve it. But for people who do have something to lose and maybe kids to support- the stakes are a heck of a lot higher. But its up to them what they do as long as they know that a)the American dream is a myth b) things are better in UK at the moment apart from the weather c)the USA is not the promised land.
Even in good times, you make your own breaks out here but, at least you have a fair chance- in these times the odds are heavily stacked against you. Now if you think that's whingeing, so be it, but I call it telling the truth about what is happening out here.

The whingeing you hear from brits on these boards are EXACTLY the same moans I hear from co-workers in the US, education, health, taxes, immigration, pensions, government, and of course here the main moan is the economy and what they've lost. People who moan about Blair and the government, do you honestly think that Bush's administration is better??? See, that one ...I can't figure out at all.

Last edited by Taffyles; Jul 30th 2003 at 5:30 am.
Old Jul 30th 2003, 9:19 am
British/Irish(ish) Duncs

Location: Cambridge MA, via Mississippi and Belfast Northern Ireland.
Duncs has a brilliant futureDuncs has a brilliant futureDuncs has a brilliant futureDuncs has a brilliant futureDuncs has a brilliant futureDuncs has a brilliant futureDuncs has a brilliant future

Originally posted by Taffyles
People who moan about Blair and the government, do you honestly think that Bush's administration is better??? See, that one ...I can't figure out at all.
Definately not i cant abide Bush and his Haliburton cronies i intend to make a contribution of some kind to getting him out at the next election.

I am aware the economy is bad and that things are hard for lots of people. I am just not so inclined to be such a raging pessimist at the others. I can see that if someone has a good steady well paid job in the UK then why give that up for uncertainty in the USA. But not everyone has that and the USA may represent an alternative opportunity. I perosnally belive the USA is a better country in the long term. My profession is full of privilage over here and the ultimate seniority is dominated by those who went to the right schools, have the right accent and class background. In the USA at least with hard work the opportunites are there in a way they arent in the UK. The UK is a more meritocratic society than it was but as long as we have Queen/King then we will have a division into the priviliged and the rest and thats something i want to get away from.

regards,

Duncan
Old Jul 30th 2003, 9:40 am
British/Irish(ish) Duncs

Location: Cambridge MA, via Mississippi and Belfast Northern Ireland.
Duncs has a brilliant futureDuncs has a brilliant futureDuncs has a brilliant futureDuncs has a brilliant futureDuncs has a brilliant futureDuncs has a brilliant futureDuncs has a brilliant future

Originally posted by Patrick
Are you actually a ****ing moron or do you just do a good job of impersonating one! I have not pissed a year away bitching whatsoever, I apply for 30 jobs a week, when I am not applying for jobs I spend my time writing sketches and filmscripts.

You know I never thought of setting up my own business, gosh I wish I had spent the last 5 months investigating that and trying to get a backer as I have no capital of my own - **** your good and I am an imbosile.

**** me, enroll at the college I wish I had done that too - did you not read the thread where I posted my scores for getting into college!

Bugger! Apply for crappy jobs - I wish I had thought of that - I wish I had been turned down by enterprise rentacar, sprint shops, Lowes shop, Walmart, Target ......I have driven round every single company in the Wilmington area and dropped off my Resume. Do you need me to go on or shall I just stand here with my thumb up my arse and a dumb grin on my face.

Oh I volunteer my time too. I have been here 5 months and have never worked so hard, at the last count I have 45 different versions of resume. I don't know where you get off deciding I am sat here waiting for a queue to form at my door.

Until you get here you will not understand how bad it is, of all the people that got laid off from Nokia I am only one currently unemployed so don't tell me that the UK is worse than the US. I pity you moving over here with the attitude that because you have worked hard all your life you will suceed, well I have news for you pal, I have worked hard all my life and continue to get up at seven thirty every day and work hard. I put myself through university at 28, I was married and didn't have the luxury of living at home with my parents. Life isn't easy and I know that but whether your comments where meant with love or not they where still ****ing patronising. I am not trying to scare people but what is the point in encouraging people to leave everything and come here and then struggle, you obviously beleive it is better to have tried and failed rather than not try. Thats fine as long as you know the odds of success - at the moment it isn't worth placing a bet.

I don't need to grow a pair, mine are the size of Manhatten - I spent 4 hours with my bank manager trying to get him to lend me $330,000 4 weeks ago. Your a solicitor - have you never heard of ****ing research, now you have some actual facts at your disposal you can now make an argument - the trouble is there is nothing more I can do that I am not doing already. The fact I am warning people to wait until the recession is over is not a bad thing. Advice is a good thing - maybe if someone had adviced you to make sure your clients payed on time you wouldn't be in this situation now.

Patrick
Blimey saucer of milk for one! I am not a moron (IQ is 147 actually) so dont take your frustration out on me. Why do you need $330,000 to start a business? maybe you should think smaller, microsft started in garage, so did Hewlett Packard. You have skills or some kind i assume? use those and do what it is you do for people from the back of a small van or something. If you can rasie the money and start big great go for it and good luck but if not rethink. You keep telling everyone else to alter their plans and adjust to reality maybe you should as well.

And i have said it before but I was a barrister and the client who didnt pay was a solicitor/acoholic who may well go to jail for embezellment so i am not about to take shit for that one. I was self-employed it was risk, it didnt work out, i am bankrupt. hey it happens, you get past it and you get up and you try again.

It is is so obvious that you are hugely frustrated by your not being able to find work and that some of that comes out in the posts you put up. I am not trying to be patronising any more than you are with your posts telling people to stay in the UK. I was simply making suggestions obviolusy you have already considered them to some degree. I missed ypour post on college scores i will look at it though. Maybe you should be a little more restrictive about your resume when you apply for crappy jobs. Its not required to place everything on it as long as its not lies. I have been an unemployed graduate and i found that most companies dont want shelf stackers with degrees so dont tell em you have one.

I didnt mean volunteering although thats very decent of you i meant work for no pay check as an intern or something to get your foot under the door but maybe you tried that already.

You know the last and most obvious one is of course your location is wrong. You have worked hard at trying for a job in the area you are in so just move somewhere else or be willing to do so for job anyhow. Sounds like your wife does work though so that might be hard to do i accept.

Ok maybe your situation is bad and maybe you have tried everthing humanly possible to get started at something but not everyone will have the exact same experience as you. I know you mean well with your messages but you do have a tendency to vent your frustrations on others. I dint need all the lctures about how tough it is in San Francisco or Boston to do the research myself and figure out that i needed to play safe live with parents in law and be highly flexible about where i go to work. Other can manage to work it out to without lectures about the hardships of your situation.

i wish you luck patrick and i wish you would get what you want so dont think i am being patronising here as i dont intend to be.

regards,

Duncan
Old Jul 30th 2003, 12:56 pm
Pagan Sex God

Patrick has a reputation beyond reputePatrick has a reputation beyond reputePatrick has a reputation beyond reputePatrick has a reputation beyond reputePatrick has a reputation beyond reputePatrick has a reputation beyond reputePatrick has a reputation beyond reputePatrick has a reputation beyond reputePatrick has a reputation beyond reputePatrick has a reputation beyond reputePatrick has a reputation beyond repute

IQ of 139 actually! What next, are we going to compare dick sizes, you take off your hat and I'll drop my trousers.

Why do I need 330k, well I was going to buy a beat up old house on the sea front, restore it, rent it out for a couple of years and then sell it. The trouble is they won't give you a second mortgage without a job.

And what, pray do I consult on, the reason I cant get a job is because there is little industry - who will I consult to - the pelicans.

I know your a barrister, I only call you a solicitor to annoy you, in the same way that there are an awful lot of people saying the same as me and you only seem to highlight me. You have the luxury of being able to go where the jobs are, I moved here with my wife, she earns good money and we are not at the poor house yet. We also like living here, another reason not to move.

When I suggested you live with your parents in law and get the US qualifications you turned on me like I had suggested you should **** your mother. And now its OK because you have explored the options! Your amazing, there was no lecture in replies, I suggested cheaper parts of Boston - in fact as expensive as Boston is, it is still probably a good place for you to end up as it is still growing. You have no money and you want to qualify for first - my point was not to go to somewhere as expensive as SF and Boston but to go somewhere cheaper first, get qualified and then move to somewhere expensive like SF and Boston.

You don't need to be patronising "just grow a pair or shut up" erm let me see if thats in the book of how not to patronise, oh no it isn't!

And anyway I get enough nagging and crap from from my Mum and my Mother in law I don't need any more from people I don't know. My mothers latest suggestion is for me to joing the US Army, thanks mum.

Patrick

Originally posted by 17782023
Blimey saucer of milk for one! I am not a moron (IQ is 147 actually) so dont take your frustration out on me. Why do you need $330,000 to start a business? maybe you should think smaller, microsft started in garage, so did Hewlett Packard. You have skills or some kind i assume? use those and do what it is you do for people from the back of a small van or something. If you can rasie the money and start big great go for it and good luck but if not rethink. You keep telling everyone else to alter their plans and adjust to reality maybe you should as well.

And i have said it before but I was a barrister and the client who didnt pay was a solicitor/acoholic who may well go to jail for embezellment so i am not about to take shit for that one. I was self-employed it was risk, it didnt work out, i am bankrupt. hey it happens, you get past it and you get up and you try again.

It is is so obvious that you are hugely frustrated by your not being able to find work and that some of that comes out in the posts you put up. I am not trying to be patronising any more than you are with your posts telling people to stay in the UK. I was simply making suggestions obviolusy you have already considered them to some degree. I missed ypour post on college scores i will look at it though. Maybe you should be a little more restrictive about your resume when you apply for crappy jobs. Its not required to place everything on it as long as its not lies. I have been an unemployed graduate and i found that most companies dont want shelf stackers with degrees so dont tell em you have one.

I didnt mean volunteering although thats very decent of you i meant work for no pay check as an intern or something to get your foot under the door but maybe you tried that already.

You know the last and most obvious one is of course your location is wrong. You have worked hard at trying for a job in the area you are in so just move somewhere else or be willing to do so for job anyhow. Sounds like your wife does work though so that might be hard to do i accept.

Ok maybe your situation is bad and maybe you have tried everthing humanly possible to get started at something but not everyone will have the exact same experience as you. I know you mean well with your messages but you do have a tendency to vent your frustrations on others. I dint need all the lctures about how tough it is in San Francisco or Boston to do the research myself and figure out that i needed to play safe live with parents in law and be highly flexible about where i go to work. Other can manage to work it out to without lectures about the hardships of your situation.

i wish you luck patrick and i wish you would get what you want so dont think i am being patronising here as i dont intend to be.

regards,

Duncan

Last edited by Patrick; Jul 30th 2003 at 1:07 pm.
Old Jul 30th 2003, 1:01 pm
Not living a 9 to 5 life

NC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond repute

I think its a lot of things, if they don't automatically see qualifications they understand they disguard it. I have a degree and as soon as shops like Walmart and Target see that they disguard your application - why would a uni grad stack shelves and if they did they wouldn't stay very long so why should they hire me when there are 50 high school grads applying for the job.

<<snip>>

Patrick
As much as many of us reading this thread are probably way overqualified to be a shop assistant or work in a bar or restaurant, high school grads and new college grads are as likely to bugger off to another job as much as we would.

When the economy is good, people in restaurant and shop work are likely to leave at the drop of a hat if they can earn more p/hr, even if it's at another similar business.

My point? Employers perceive those with more academic qualifications and experience as poor candidates. I don't think that's so for the reason described above.

NC Penguin
Old Jul 30th 2003, 1:09 pm
BE Forum Addict

Jan Alaska has a reputation beyond reputeJan Alaska has a reputation beyond reputeJan Alaska has a reputation beyond reputeJan Alaska has a reputation beyond reputeJan Alaska has a reputation beyond reputeJan Alaska has a reputation beyond reputeJan Alaska has a reputation beyond reputeJan Alaska has a reputation beyond reputeJan Alaska has a reputation beyond reputeJan Alaska has a reputation beyond reputeJan Alaska has a reputation beyond repute

I think the key to getting a job in the US is to eat a little 'humble pie'. I have a degree and took a job at Wal-Mart as it was the only job i could get at the time, It took me 9 months of applying to get the job I currently have. The biggest problem is that US employers arent used to British style CV's so i had to change mine quite a bit, explain qualifications etc but I got there eventually.
Dont discount wal-mart and the like just because of the 'type' of work they offer because surely any job is better than no job at all ?? also it at least gives you a step on the US job market ladder and something positive for other potential employers to see as opposed to 'sat on my arse for 6 months and whined coz there wasnt a decent job out there'

Ohh and yes wal-mart did get on my nerves with all its rah rah we're the best attitude, but it got me a start at least.

Jan
Old Jul 30th 2003, 1:41 pm
Pagan Sex God

Originally posted by jan_michigan

Dont discount wal-mart and the like just because of the 'type' of work they offer because surely any job is better than no job at all ?? also it at least gives you a step on the US job market ladder and something positive for other potential employers to see as opposed to 'sat on my arse for 6 months and whined coz there wasnt a decent job out there'
Jan
please say your not talking to me! If your read through my posts you will see I have applied for Walmart (target, lowes, home depot, sprint store, avis, enterprise, triangle rental.......). There is absolutley no sitting on my large, yet majestic, arse and a) whining and b) waiting for a decent job.

Someone please reassure me that I am still posting in english!

Patrick

Bugger me! This is turning into crusify patrick for dissenting the USA! Stop nagging me people, I have wife and two mothers for that!

Last edited by Patrick; Jul 30th 2003 at 1:45 pm.
Old Jul 30th 2003, 3:24 pm
Banned

Ranjini will become famous soon enough

When I suggested you live with your parents in law and get the US qualifications you turned on me like I had suggested you should **** your mother. And now its OK because you have explored the options! Your amazing, there was no lecture in replies, I suggested cheaper parts of Boston - in fact as expensive as Boston is, it is still probably a good place for you to end up as it is still growing. You have no money and you want to qualify for first - my point was not to go to somewhere as expensive as SF and Boston but to go somewhere cheaper first, get qualified and then move to somewhere expensive like SF and Boston.

Patrick
Look at it like this. He probably decided to consider his options when you told him about the not-so-rosy side of the picture. It does annoy them more than a bit when you are so overly negative. But it also makes them think
Old Jul 30th 2003, 3:53 pm
Forum Regular

Harry is a jewel in the roughHarry is a jewel in the roughHarry is a jewel in the roughHarry is a jewel in the rough

I agree with Ranjini...people in general don't really want to hear what they don't want to hear...but yeah, you're going to take it on board one way or the other.
To the original poster...I believe that if you want something badly enough and put enough of your energy into it, eventually things will start to happen. Not to sugar coat things...things don't look that great right now...but if you stick at it long enough....
Anyway, best of luck with your dream.
Also, Patrick, good luck finding something, this has got to really suck for you.

-Harry
Old Jul 30th 2003, 4:04 pm
Forum Regular

lanky1980 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Patrick!!!

Hey i'm behind you man, it must suck to be actively trying and everyone nagging you, i lucked into a student job when i was a freshman, and managed to get a job flogging shite e-machines and over-priced service plans at Best Buy to help supplement my beer drinking. The only way i got the job was going in and speaking to the general manager, bullshitting him into giving me the 7 bucks an hour job.
However, i am in Kentucky where the job market doesn't seem to be hit as hard as you guys up north, i genuinely feel bad as i went through a similar search back home, no one wants to know and the months go by, and the constant "brilliant" suggestions from dickhead family members (join the army, join the foreign legion, join the sally army etc)
Anyway, keep the faith Patrick, you seem like a decent bloke with a good sense of humour which is worth alot more than a ****in degree in the long run!
Old Jul 30th 2003, 4:59 pm
Pagan Sex God

Originally posted by Ranjini
Look at it like this. He probably decided to consider his options when you told him about the not-so-rosy side of the picture. It does annoy them more than a bit when you are so overly negative. But it also makes them think

Your right, someone will ask a question and wait until one person gives the answer they want to hear and ignore the rest. I don't want to give people bad news - I am a very positive person but it difficult to convey your true self in 2d.

Thanks Harry and lanky (and everyone else) for your moral support.

Patrick
Old Jul 30th 2003, 5:17 pm

Pulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond repute

I think its a lot of things, if they don't automatically see qualifications they understand they disguard it. ......
please say your not talking to me! If your read through my posts you will see I have applied for Walmart (target, lowes, home depot, sprint store, avis, enterprise, triangle rental.......). There is absolutley no sitting on my large, yet majestic, arse and a) whining and b) waiting for a decent job.

Someone please reassure me that I am still posting in english!

Patrick

Bugger me! This is turning into crusify patrick for dissenting the USA! Stop nagging me people, I have wife and two mothers for that!
I hope that your resume has fewer errors than your posts here and that you're capable of communicating in English, otherwise you can be absolutely certain that your resume will be discarded by potential employers. I suppose that you're now going to crucify me for pointing this out?

Last edited by Pulaski; Jul 30th 2003 at 5:23 pm.
Old Jul 30th 2003, 5:38 pm
Banned

Ranjini will become famous soon enough

Originally posted by Pulaski
I hope that your resume has fewer errors than your posts here and that you're capable of communicating in English, otherwise you can be absolutely certain that your resume will be discarded by potential employers. I suppose that you're now going to crucify me for pointing this out?
Word processors have spell checks, fortunately If Patrick is in his usual form, he's definitely going to crucify you for nitpicking
Old Jul 30th 2003, 7:05 pm
Pagan Sex God

Originally posted by Pulaski

If God had of wanted me to spell he wouldn't of put spellcheck in his MS Word

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.