Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

Trying to be excited about going to baseball game.

Trying to be excited about going to baseball game.

Old May 1st 2012, 6:33 pm
Forum Regular

Brando is just really niceBrando is just really niceBrando is just really niceBrando is just really niceBrando is just really niceBrando is just really niceBrando is just really niceBrando is just really nice
Default Re: Trying to be excited about going to baseball game.

I love baseball, have done for years, long before moving here.

I don't like cricket at all. Not even the one day version. But baseball is great, and going to a game is a lot of fun.

I didn't have a team for years, but a few years back I went to Wrigley Field in Chicago, and fell big time for the hapless Cubs! Last game I went to here though was the Mets @ Citi Field. That's a really nice ball-park.

Going to go to the Hall of Fame in Cooperstown in the summer.
Old May 1st 2012, 8:25 pm
BE Enthusiast

toopie28 has a reputation beyond reputetoopie28 has a reputation beyond reputetoopie28 has a reputation beyond reputetoopie28 has a reputation beyond reputetoopie28 has a reputation beyond reputetoopie28 has a reputation beyond reputetoopie28 has a reputation beyond reputetoopie28 has a reputation beyond reputetoopie28 has a reputation beyond reputetoopie28 has a reputation beyond reputetoopie28 has a reputation beyond repute

Ugh - baseball - kill me! Even the dodger dog didn't make it any easier. Plus I don't drink (it's an ongoing problem) so I couldn't numb the pain. I just kept saying... "soooo, when does something happen...?"

Hated all sports unit Tivo/DVR. Now I'm a football...erm, American football junkie. Hubby and I have bets on the games. Fun, fun.
Old May 1st 2012, 8:32 pm
Sursum corda

cindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Uncle Ebenezer
I'd give up if I were you - your husband is obviously the exception to the rule, that nobody British could possibly get excited about baseball.
My DH would be another, Thanks to the generosity of one of our former BEers, we got tix ( GOOD seats) to see the Braves play AND a hotel for the night. I introduced DH to the pleasure a having a Polish sausage at the game and he enjoyed the brewskis.

They just celebrated Fenway's 100th anniversary. GO BOSOX!!!!!!!!!!
Old May 2nd 2012, 12:28 am
Dizzy Blonde

clarissageo has a reputation beyond reputeclarissageo has a reputation beyond reputeclarissageo has a reputation beyond reputeclarissageo has a reputation beyond reputeclarissageo has a reputation beyond reputeclarissageo has a reputation beyond reputeclarissageo has a reputation beyond reputeclarissageo has a reputation beyond reputeclarissageo has a reputation beyond reputeclarissageo has a reputation beyond reputeclarissageo has a reputation beyond repute

In May last year we managed to get tickets from a friend to opening day of the Cincinnati Reds..... I was dead against going - to such an extent that it caused a MAJOR row between me and the hubster and we ended up missing the game.

Then I got another set of tickets from a friend of the boss and I finally gave in and went. For the first 20 minutes I had no clue what was going on... by then end of the game I was on my feet screaming like a fishwife

Now whenever the Reds play, its on in our house.... I've got my jersey (had to be a Victorias Secret one though - much cuter ) , and I we are waiting for pay day next week so we can get our 4 game package... I've even got my favorite players and was super excited when they signed their new contracts!

Although, on Easter Sunday we had a tough decision to make - Boss called me with another 4 tickets, for the 1.10pm game, which is the time we are in church. Had to chose between the Reds and God. On that occasion God won.... it was Easter after all

(yeah, I've assimilated, I even do the church thing now..... never did THAT in England either )
Old May 3rd 2012, 3:34 am
Banned

Primula has a spectacular aura aboutPrimula has a spectacular aura aboutPrimula has a spectacular aura about

Originally Posted by Brando
Last game I went to here though was the Mets @ Citi Field. That's a really nice ballpark.
To bad they changed the name.
Old May 3rd 2012, 1:54 pm
Deep in the woods of CT

Nutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Primula
Absolutely! Though when it opened people wore T-shirts that said "I'll still call it Shea." They made the field so big that the Mets team couldn't hit home runs, so this off-season they brought the fences in.
Old May 3rd 2012, 2:12 pm
BE Forum Addict

Guindalf has a reputation beyond reputeGuindalf has a reputation beyond reputeGuindalf has a reputation beyond reputeGuindalf has a reputation beyond reputeGuindalf has a reputation beyond reputeGuindalf has a reputation beyond reputeGuindalf has a reputation beyond reputeGuindalf has a reputation beyond reputeGuindalf has a reputation beyond reputeGuindalf has a reputation beyond reputeGuindalf has a reputation beyond repute

Anyone on the fence about baseball needs to watch last night's game between the Atlanta Braves and the Philadelphia Phillies.

Edge of the seat stuff!
Old May 3rd 2012, 2:15 pm
Life goes on.

Uncle Ebenezer has a reputation beyond reputeUncle Ebenezer has a reputation beyond reputeUncle Ebenezer has a reputation beyond reputeUncle Ebenezer has a reputation beyond reputeUncle Ebenezer has a reputation beyond reputeUncle Ebenezer has a reputation beyond reputeUncle Ebenezer has a reputation beyond reputeUncle Ebenezer has a reputation beyond reputeUncle Ebenezer has a reputation beyond reputeUncle Ebenezer has a reputation beyond reputeUncle Ebenezer has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Guindalf
Anyone suffering from insomnia needs to watch last night's game between the Atlanta Braves and the Philadelphia Phillies.

Edge of the bed stuff!
FTFY.
Old May 3rd 2012, 2:56 pm
BE Forum Addict

Scouse Express has a reputation beyond reputeScouse Express has a reputation beyond reputeScouse Express has a reputation beyond reputeScouse Express has a reputation beyond reputeScouse Express has a reputation beyond reputeScouse Express has a reputation beyond reputeScouse Express has a reputation beyond reputeScouse Express has a reputation beyond reputeScouse Express has a reputation beyond reputeScouse Express has a reputation beyond reputeScouse Express has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Guindalf
Anyone on the fence about baseball needs to watch last night's game between the Atlanta Braves and the Philadelphia Phillies.

Edge of the seat stuff!
Edge of the seat?? Did you fall asleep, roll off the seat and onto the floor?

Jim
Old May 3rd 2012, 8:37 pm
Forum Regular

Leyther has much to be proud ofLeyther has much to be proud ofLeyther has much to be proud ofLeyther has much to be proud ofLeyther has much to be proud ofLeyther has much to be proud ofLeyther has much to be proud ofLeyther has much to be proud ofLeyther has much to be proud ofLeyther has much to be proud ofLeyther has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by Tarkak9
I like going to baseball games - Waaay better than watching cricket or golf imo. The occasional roar of the crowd, roasted peanuts, hotdogs, beer, sunny warm days or mild evenings.. its great to be out in fresh air doing nothing rather than being stuck indoors - its no wonder its called the American Pastime! The Rockies have a couple of fireworks night during the season, which always are sold out.
I too enjoy watching the Rockies, I guess I was lucky enough to get caught up in the 2007 World Series run and was hooked ever since. You also can't beat those $4 Rockpile tickets nor $2 Hebrew Hotdog games.

I remember last season you could also purchase tickets and they would put $10 of the ticket towards confections, so for about $25-$30 you would get pretty good seats and then $10 worth of confections (including beer) at no additional charge.

Now cricket and golf, there is a snooze-fest
Old May 3rd 2012, 8:56 pm
Bob
BE Site Lead

Bob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond repute

MLB ain't bad, if the team isn't shit and especially if there's a good bit of history.

AAA is often fun, much cheaper and good atmosphere and if the team is tied to a decent MLB team, a cheap way to see players getting match play in after injury, saw quite a few Red Sox players at the Portland Seadogs games in the past.

AA might be getting a bit shit, but anything lower than that, just a load of kack.

Though there is always crap beer and hotdogs going
Old May 3rd 2012, 9:04 pm
Bob
BE Site Lead

Bob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by joto
DS got into baseball as we came here when he was 11, but too old for Little League. He is a Red Sox fan, but we could never afford to go to a game at Fenway. When the Red Sox came here to play the Rockies 2 yrs ago, I managed to get tickets for one of the games. He was in heaven watching his beloved Red Sox. The only football (American) that we watch is the super bowl and any games the Patriots are playing that are televised. Can't be bothered by it otherwise.
When the Expo's were still around, yeah, years back now...would go up to Montreal to see them play the Red Sox's a few times.

The folks lived in the middle anyway, so was as close to head up than south, but you could get front row tickets in an empty stadium for $20 and in those days the exchange rate was in your favour, so could make a weekend of it. Was fab
Old May 4th 2012, 4:17 am
Banned

Primula has a spectacular aura aboutPrimula has a spectacular aura aboutPrimula has a spectacular aura about

Originally Posted by Primula
I love how I spelled "to"! Too late to edit it now.
Old May 8th 2012, 1:54 am
not sure...

RedT has a reputation beyond reputeRedT has a reputation beyond reputeRedT has a reputation beyond reputeRedT has a reputation beyond reputeRedT has a reputation beyond reputeRedT has a reputation beyond reputeRedT has a reputation beyond reputeRedT has a reputation beyond reputeRedT has a reputation beyond reputeRedT has a reputation beyond reputeRedT has a reputation beyond repute

Baseball is brilliant fun, I'd give an arm to be in Oakland right now watching our (DH and mine) beloved A's! We got sucked in when we visited my sister in San Francisco and went to a game (her friend's dad own the team apparently!!). Ever since then we've been up half the night in London watching the games on Channel 5 and online. Now that we're in Sydney it's on at a far more respectable hour (9am usually) and we spend our weekend mornings glued to it.

The games are so much fun, it's about more than the game itself and the crowd atmosphere is always fun, calm, no chance of getting stabbed for example The franschises do a lot to make it fun for kids with giveaways, fireworks, meet the team nights etc and it's a fab way to spend a night warm evening, especially by the Bay.

I can dream...

Enjoy it, you might be pleasantly surprised!

Tx
Old May 8th 2012, 2:16 am
BE Forum Addict

SarahG has a reputation beyond reputeSarahG has a reputation beyond reputeSarahG has a reputation beyond reputeSarahG has a reputation beyond reputeSarahG has a reputation beyond reputeSarahG has a reputation beyond reputeSarahG has a reputation beyond reputeSarahG has a reputation beyond reputeSarahG has a reputation beyond reputeSarahG has a reputation beyond reputeSarahG has a reputation beyond repute

Well I went to the game. Sat in the box my OH's company have. Free food & booze. Got bottle of beer spilled over me. Highlight was seeing monkeys riding dogs herding goats! Yes that really happened! Kids seemed to enjoy it. Not sure if we'll go again though but won't be surprised if he comes home with tickets again.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.