Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

Trying to buy land in America, hopefully Arizona.

Trying to buy land in America, hopefully Arizona.

Old Nov 25th 2019, 9:42 pm
Forum Regular

Arizona_bound is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Trying to buy land in America, hopefully Arizona.

Originally Posted by ddsrph

In conjunction with horses is what I had in mind. We have a local business that does dog bathing and hair and nail trimming in addition to boarding. The boarding is usually for a week or so while owners are on vacation and also offers a workday doggy daycare. They stay very busy and hire several people. Perfect job for women who like animals and want to supplement husbands income.
That would end up as my job, the missus is useless with dogs. Sue can deal with the horses, I'll deal with the dogs. And can employ people to do the hair cutting, nail trimming and all that side of thing. Could be a good bit of business to employ some locals. A couple of apprentices for the horse riding stuff. I'm assuming they do apprenticeships in America the same as the do here?
Old Nov 25th 2019, 9:45 pm
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by Nutmegger
I think the OP is thinking in terms of doing something that would supplement his wife's income.
You are probably right there. My skills won't transfer across and by the time I'm hitting retirement they wouldn't want me to do that kind of work anyway!

So she is likely to be the one earning the major money. I'll get myself a paper round or something to top up the pension!
Old Nov 25th 2019, 9:49 pm
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by Noorah101
When it comes to staying in the USA under her own steam, it's not the green card qualification that counts, but whether she and the job are the right fit for a work visa. Doing something so specialized might mean an O-1 visa, but she has to be outstanding and well known and well documented in her field. Not all work visas allow the trailing spouse to get an EAD, either, so whether you could work or not would depend on what visa she would get.

Rene
And just when I was thinking I'd started to get a very slight handed ion it all, it all slips through my fingers and I'm back where I started!

I think I shall become a regular visitor to the American visa website! See if I can make any sense of it all!
Old Nov 25th 2019, 9:51 pm
BE Forum Addict

ddsrph has a reputation beyond reputeddsrph has a reputation beyond reputeddsrph has a reputation beyond reputeddsrph has a reputation beyond reputeddsrph has a reputation beyond reputeddsrph has a reputation beyond reputeddsrph has a reputation beyond reputeddsrph has a reputation beyond reputeddsrph has a reputation beyond reputeddsrph has a reputation beyond reputeddsrph has a reputation beyond repute

One thing in your favor for the type of investment being discussed is the money is going into land and basic buildings like metal prefabs which have value for many uses and can be sold most likely for a profit if the business fails.
Old Nov 25th 2019, 10:04 pm
Forum Regular

One thing in your favor for the type of investment being discussed is the money is going into land and basic buildings like metal prefabs which have value for many uses and can be sold most likely for a profit if the business fails.
I like to be optimistic whilst maintaining as much of a grip on reality at the same time. So if it does go belly up then you're right, we could have the whole infrastructure there to start someone up in slightly different business, or even the same business but with more capital to put into it and make it work.
Old Nov 25th 2019, 10:41 pm
BE Forum Addict

ddsrph has a reputation beyond reputeddsrph has a reputation beyond reputeddsrph has a reputation beyond reputeddsrph has a reputation beyond reputeddsrph has a reputation beyond reputeddsrph has a reputation beyond reputeddsrph has a reputation beyond reputeddsrph has a reputation beyond reputeddsrph has a reputation beyond reputeddsrph has a reputation beyond reputeddsrph has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Arizona_bound
I like to be optimistic whilst maintaining as much of a grip on reality at the same time. So if it does go belly up then you're right, we could have the whole infrastructure there to start someone up in slightly different business, or even the same business but with more capital to put into it and make it work.
If you visit Clearview horse farm you will see the type of buildings used. Heavy steel frames with steel walls and roof made as a kit and assembled on site. A lot of long lasting, low maintenance square footage for a very reasonable price. My hobby is aviation and a few of the pilots I know have hangars like described above with living quarters carved out of their hangars. Very efficient and as plush as you want to make it.
Old Nov 26th 2019, 5:36 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

morpeth has a reputation beyond reputemorpeth has a reputation beyond reputemorpeth has a reputation beyond reputemorpeth has a reputation beyond reputemorpeth has a reputation beyond reputemorpeth has a reputation beyond reputemorpeth has a reputation beyond reputemorpeth has a reputation beyond reputemorpeth has a reputation beyond reputemorpeth has a reputation beyond reputemorpeth has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by SanDiegogirl
I thought about the health insurance aspect too. At age 52 you could expect fairly high premiums. However, this whole plan seems a long way off, goodness knows what medical insurance will be in place by the time the OP gets here.

If he is only here in US for up to 6 months and lives rest of year in UK, then, yes, he should still be eligible for NHS.
I thought if someone out of country for 3 months, they then have to re-establish habitual residency on return, i.e. 3 months.
Old Nov 26th 2019, 4:02 pm
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by morpeth
I thought if someone out of country for 3 months, they then have to re-establish habitual residency on return, i.e. 3 months.
I was thinking travel insurance as an option? If you aren't resident but just have leave to stay for an extended period of time, would that not be an option? And if it's not, how much does health insurance cost in the US?
Old Nov 26th 2019, 4:03 pm
Forum Regular

If you visit Clearview horse farm you will see the type of buildings used. Heavy steel frames with steel walls and roof made as a kit and assembled on site. A lot of long lasting, low maintenance square footage for a very reasonable price. My hobby is aviation and a few of the pilots I know have hangars like described above with living quarters carved out of their hangars. Very efficient and as plush as you want to make it.
A trip to Clearview Horse Farm may well be on the table then!
Old Nov 26th 2019, 4:07 pm
Concierge

spouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond repute

That would end up as my job, the missus is useless with dogs. Sue can deal with the horses, I'll deal with the dogs. And can employ people to do the hair cutting, nail trimming and all that side of thing. Could be a good bit of business to employ some locals. A couple of apprentices for the horse riding stuff. I'm assuming they do apprenticeships in America the same as the do here?
Are you still thinking of living in the US for around 6 months per year? Only that I was wondering what would happen to your businesses when you weren't there? I guess if you had employees who you really trusted to run things the way you would it would be ok.
Old Nov 26th 2019, 4:45 pm
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat099 is an unknown quantity at this point

As a visitor you just need travel insurance.
Old Nov 26th 2019, 6:25 pm
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by spouse of scouse
Are you still thinking of living in the US for around 6 months per year? Only that I was wondering what would happen to your businesses when you weren't there? I guess if you had employees who you really trusted to run things the way you would it would be ok.
If the business were an option then it would be an E-2 visa. That would be the plan anyway. Not sure I could start a business with only a B2 visa?
Old Nov 26th 2019, 6:26 pm
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by Boiler
As a visitor you just need travel insurance.
Good to know. I'm sure I couldn't even afford the treatment for a broken leg without it!
Old Nov 26th 2019, 6:42 pm
Deep in the woods of CT

Nutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond repute

If the business were an option then it would be an E-2 visa. That would be the plan anyway. Not sure I could start a business with only a B2 visa?
No, the B is for visiting, the E for starting a business. On the former, you could use travel health insurance if you maintain a home elsewhere, for the latter, you would need US HI.
Old Nov 26th 2019, 7:24 pm
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by Nutmegger
No, the B is for visiting, the E for starting a business. On the former, you could use travel health insurance if you maintain a home elsewhere, for the latter, you would need US HI.
Yeah, figured that would be the case.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.