Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

Trying to buy land in America, hopefully Arizona.

Trying to buy land in America, hopefully Arizona.

Old Nov 25th 2019, 1:10 pm
Deep in the woods of CT

Nutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Trying to buy land in America, hopefully Arizona.

Originally Posted by Arizona_bound
Thanks Noorah101,
So $100k for an E2 visa which would allow you to open a business and show that you can bring some local jobs and employment for people in the area and then it would be something you'd have to keep renewing providing the business doesn't go bust? Have I got that about right?
Yes, you need a business plan that shows how you intend to grow the business and hire local people; it can't just be a subsistence business for the visa holder. The initial investment has to be shown to be at risk. The visa is given in increments -- usually having to be renewed every five years, but sometimes the CO goes with an initial two-year visa. If the business folds or is sold, the visa holder has to leave the country. There is no direct route to a green card, but if instead of going halves on the visa, a couple just put the visa in one name, the other person is eligible to apply for an EAD, and in some cases that person has been able to attain a job that has led to the employer sponsoring them for a green card.
Old Nov 25th 2019, 2:10 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Moses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Nutmegger
Yes, you need a business plan that shows how you intend to grow the business and hire local people; it can't just be a subsistence business for the visa holder. The initial investment has to be shown to be at risk. The visa is given in increments -- usually having to be renewed every five years, but sometimes the CO goes with an initial two-year visa. If the business folds or is sold, the visa holder has to leave the country. There is no direct route to a green card, but if instead of going halves on the visa, a couple just put the visa in one name, the other person is eligible to apply for an EAD, and in some cases that person has been able to attain a job that has led to the employer sponsoring them for a green card.
No idea where the OP was born, but the green card lottery can be an option for some. British born abroad or born in Northern Ireland.

Almost everyone can participate in the Green Card Lottery. There are, however, two criteria that every participant must meet: Country of birth and level of education. You must have proof of these two requirements at the time you win the lottery. Do you qualify to enter the Green Card Lottery?

Please take note that your nationality plays no role in the Green Card Lottery. Only your country of birth according to current borders is important in deciding if you can participate in the drawing. There are, however, exceptions! People who were born in an excluded country can still apply to the Green Card Lottery under certain conditions. They are when:
  1. The spouse of the participant was born in a country that can actively participate;
  2. People born in an excluded country can participate if their parents were only in the country of their birth temporarily for, for example, their studies or work. In this case, both parents must have been born in a country which can participate in the lottery.

Last edited by Moses2013; Nov 25th 2019 at 2:12 pm.
Old Nov 25th 2019, 2:33 pm
BE Forum Addict

ddsrph has a reputation beyond reputeddsrph has a reputation beyond reputeddsrph has a reputation beyond reputeddsrph has a reputation beyond reputeddsrph has a reputation beyond reputeddsrph has a reputation beyond reputeddsrph has a reputation beyond reputeddsrph has a reputation beyond reputeddsrph has a reputation beyond reputeddsrph has a reputation beyond reputeddsrph has a reputation beyond repute

Another somewhat related business that would work with training and boarding of horses is dog boarding. A big demand and once a caring reputation is established customers become very loyal to the business.
Old Nov 25th 2019, 7:37 pm
Forum Regular

Arizona_bound is an unknown quantity at this point

That makes sense. Got to show that you are willing to risk a significant amount of money in order to prove your willingness to make a life in the country. And can contribute meaningfully to the local economy. Shame it costs so damn much though!
Without googling it, am I right in saying that the EAD is a visa given to the partner of someone with the E2 visa (I think) that means they have a business plan that is acceptable for visa purposes and can start their business etc. Then the person with the EAD visa can go and get a job elsewhere who could well end up being sponsored themselves? Then if the original E2 visa expires because I can't run a business, I would have to leave but the missus could stay or would I then be able to stay on her sponsorship visa?
I'm really trying to follow it all through but it feels like I'm going round in circles!
Old Nov 25th 2019, 7:49 pm
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by ddsrph
Another somewhat related business that would work with training and boarding of horses is dog boarding. A big demand and once a caring reputation is established customers become very loyal to the business.
That's also a good idea. Another one I hadn't thought of. That would be something I could get behind a bit more than horses though. I know what I'm doing with dogs. It could also be done in conjunction with the horses. Stables one side, kennels the other. Certainly employ a few people that way. As you say, once you build up a bit of trust with clients when you're looking after their beloved pets, they are unlikely to go somewhere else.
Also add in a dog walking service and that broadens it just a bit further. If there is even a call for dog walking? I guess that's very much location based. Interest train of thought you've sent me off on though so thank you.
Old Nov 25th 2019, 7:52 pm
Deep in the woods of CT

Nutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond repute

That makes sense. Got to show that you are willing to risk a significant amount of money in order to prove your willingness to make a life in the country. And can contribute meaningfully to the local economy. Shame it costs so damn much though!
Without googling it, am I right in saying that the EAD is a visa given to the partner of someone with the E2 visa (I think) that means they have a business plan that is acceptable for visa purposes and can start their business etc. Then the person with the EAD visa can go and get a job elsewhere who could well end up being sponsored themselves? Then if the original E2 visa expires because I can't run a business, I would have to leave but the missus could stay or would I then be able to stay on her sponsorship visa?
I'm really trying to follow it all through but it feels like I'm going round in circles!
The spouse can enter the US as the dependent of the person who has been granted the E-2; they can then apply for an Employment Authorization Document, which allows them to seek a job. If the couple are partners in the E-2, each can only work for the business for which the visa was granted. However, if the E-2 terminates, the E-2 dependent with the EAD will still also have to leave.
Old Nov 25th 2019, 8:25 pm
Banned

UkWinds5353 has a reputation beyond reputeUkWinds5353 has a reputation beyond reputeUkWinds5353 has a reputation beyond reputeUkWinds5353 has a reputation beyond reputeUkWinds5353 has a reputation beyond reputeUkWinds5353 has a reputation beyond reputeUkWinds5353 has a reputation beyond reputeUkWinds5353 has a reputation beyond reputeUkWinds5353 has a reputation beyond reputeUkWinds5353 has a reputation beyond reputeUkWinds5353 has a reputation beyond repute

Hi all, just joined this forum and I'm after any useful tips or advice.
I'm planning to buy some land in America with a view to building a house on it (eventually) and, with any luck, retiring there. I appreciate that there is a lot of red tape and I need various documents etc to be able to do that. I have done a fair amount of online research and have looked into getting an ITIN which I apparently need. With that in mind I recently emailed a firm that are meant to help with that but they responded that I don't need one to buy land? Can anyone advise if that is correct or not?
I am also trying to open a bank account in America so I can transfer money to it so there is a record of an income which will hopefully help if I can't afford to buy the land outright and need a mortgage. However, I can't find much help online telling me how to do this. Everything seems to say I need to go to a branch in person. That's not really an option yet as I'm based in the UK and haven't got a trip planned to America for quite a few months. I spoke to my bank as they have branches in America but they won't do it unless I have $10,000 to open it with. I don't have that kind of money so is the best bet to hold out until I can afford that or is there another an option?
Then there are the obvious questions of actually buying the land and all that entails!
I'm new on here so not familiar with what I can post so I hope these are questions I'm allowed to ask. I appreciate that I'm not going to get any advice specific to me but hopefully someone whose been through the same thing can give me some pointers and ideas of where to look. Any advice given will obviously be taken as just that, advice. I will do my own due diligence based on my own circumstances.

Thank you in advance and hopefully these are questions I can ask!
Hi AB, and welcome to BE.

Just want to wish you well in your efforts to achieve the goal of moving to the States. Give it everything you got and definitely have a plan B which will feel nearly as fulfilling.

I hope the States and the UK will sign a mutual agreement to allow a set number of citizens the opportunity to gain VISA like we current allow for Australia and just recently approved for Ireland. Brexit just might create a few unforeseen possibilities between America, Canada and the UK in the next five years. Good luck with all your efforts. Btw, Arizona is a beautiful state and has become a very popular location for recent retirees.
Old Nov 25th 2019, 8:59 pm
Forum Regular

The spouse can enter the US as the dependent of the person who has been granted the E-2; they can then apply for an Employment Authorization Document, which allows them to seek a job. If the couple are partners in the E-2, each can only work for the business for which the visa was granted. However, if the E-2 terminates, the E-2 dependent with the EAD will still also have to leave.
Ok. So I get a visa to run a chicken farm for example. Get my E-2. The other half can come with me as a dependant but NOT as a partner on the E-2, and once here can apply for the EAD to get a job in her own right. She does get one away from the chicken farm. All is going well for her but the chicken farm collapses. So I'm out on my ear and she would have to leave with me regardless of how well she's getting on. Am I right so far?

Say all the above happens but she gets on so well that the company she works for are happy to sponsor her. Would she then be able to stay and then I can stay on as her dependent this time? And then apply for an EAD of my own? If there even is a sponsorship option?

Sorry, I'm just trying to get my head round it all and see what could possibly happen when pigs fly and we get an E-2!
Old Nov 25th 2019, 9:09 pm
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by UkWinds5353
Hi AB, and welcome to BE.

Just want to wish you well in your efforts to achieve the goal of moving to the States. Give it everything you got and definitely have a plan B which will feel nearly as fulfilling.

I hope the States and the UK will sign a mutual agreement to allow a set number of citizens the opportunity to gain VISA like we current allow for Australia and just recently approved for Ireland. Brexit just might create a few unforeseen possibilities between America, Canada and the UK in the next five years. Good luck with all your efforts. Btw, Arizona is a beautiful state and has become a very popular location for recent retirees.
Hi, thanks for your mind message.
I'm trying to think of plan A, B, C, D, E and the rest!
I know for Australia they work on a points system and if you've got a trade they need then you're almost guaranteed a visa. A couple of friends of mine have made that move. One as a carpet fitter and the other as a sparky. The carpet fitter earned a fortune but because his other half wasn't getting on quite so well, she jacked her job in and came home. He followed her and within a year they'd split up. Told him he should have stayed out there! The sparky went to work on a cattle ranch, the type where you need helicopters and motorbikes to herd them and it takes four hours of driving just to get off the farm and onto the main road! Got married out there and lived the dream. Never once did a bit of electrical work once he got there!

Hopefully America will do something similar with letting us Brits over there without it being quite so complicated or expensive!
Old Nov 25th 2019, 9:10 pm
Deep in the woods of CT

Ok. So I get a visa to run a chicken farm for example. Get my E-2. The other half can come with me as a dependant but NOT as a partner on the E-2, and once here can apply for the EAD to get a job in her own right. She does get one away from the chicken farm. All is going well for her but the chicken farm collapses. So I'm out on my ear and she would have to leave with me regardless of how well she's getting on. Am I right so far?

Say all the above happens but she gets on so well that the company she works for are happy to sponsor her. Would she then be able to stay and then I can stay on as her dependent this time? And then apply for an EAD of my own? If there even is a sponsorship option?

Sorry, I'm just trying to get my head round it all and see what could possibly happen when pigs fly and we get an E-2!
You're getting it, except she would need to get that green card before the E-2 ends, and you would be piggybacking on her green card. Also, note that the job would have to be within the parameters of feasible sponsorship -- as a silly example, she couldn't be the best nail bedazzler in town! -- and it would need to be proved a local person couldn't perform the job.

Old Nov 25th 2019, 9:12 pm
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by Moses2013
No idea where the OP was born, but the green card lottery can be an option for some. British born abroad or born in Northern Ireland.

Almost everyone can participate in the Green Card Lottery. There are, however, two criteria that every participant must meet: Country of birth and level of education. You must have proof of these two requirements at the time you win the lottery. Do you qualify to enter the Green Card Lottery?

Please take note that your nationality plays no role in the Green Card Lottery. Only your country of birth according to current borders is important in deciding if you can participate in the drawing. There are, however, exceptions! People who were born in an excluded country can still apply to the Green Card Lottery under certain conditions. They are when:
  1. The spouse of the participant was born in a country that can actively participate;
  2. People born in an excluded country can participate if their parents were only in the country of their birth temporarily for, for example, their studies or work. In this case, both parents must have been born in a country which can participate in the lottery.
I've not heard of this before? Is it as simple as it sounds? Register and wait for your number to be called like a normal lottery? I'm going to ho and have an investigation of that!
Old Nov 25th 2019, 9:19 pm
Forum Regular

You're getting it, except she would need to get that green card before the E-2 ends, and you would be piggybacking on her green card. Also, note that the job would have to be within the parameters of feasible sponsorship -- as a silly example, she couldn't be the best nail bedazzler in town! -- and it would need to be proved a local person couldn't perform the job.
I see. So, as an example, a high level riding instructor could fit into that bracket then? Obviously there are plenty of riding instructors but if she specialised in, say, teaching people with learning difficulties, that's a bit more of a niche market and could well satisfy the requirements to get her Green Card. Is that the sort of thing you think could work in that scenario? Obviously we're just tossing ideas around here while I try and get it all straight in my head! If that is ever possible!
Old Nov 25th 2019, 9:37 pm
BE Forum Addict

ddsrph has a reputation beyond reputeddsrph has a reputation beyond reputeddsrph has a reputation beyond reputeddsrph has a reputation beyond reputeddsrph has a reputation beyond reputeddsrph has a reputation beyond reputeddsrph has a reputation beyond reputeddsrph has a reputation beyond reputeddsrph has a reputation beyond reputeddsrph has a reputation beyond reputeddsrph has a reputation beyond repute

That's also a good idea. Another one I hadn't thought of. That would be something I could get behind a bit more than horses though. I know what I'm doing with dogs. It could also be done in conjunction with the horses. Stables one side, kennels the other. Certainly employ a few people that way. As you say, once you build up a bit of trust with clients when you're looking after their beloved pets, they are unlikely to go somewhere else.
Also add in a dog walking service and that broadens it just a bit further. If there is even a call for dog walking? I guess that's very much location based. Interest train of thought you've sent me off on though so thank you.
In conjunction with horses is what I had in mind. We have a local business that does dog bathing and hair and nail trimming in addition to boarding. The boarding is usually for a week or so while owners are on vacation and also offers a workday doggy daycare. They stay very busy and hire several people. Perfect job for women who like animals and want to supplement husbands income.
Old Nov 25th 2019, 9:40 pm

Noorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond repute

I see. So, as an example, a high level riding instructor could fit into that bracket then? Obviously there are plenty of riding instructors but if she specialised in, say, teaching people with learning difficulties, that's a bit more of a niche market and could well satisfy the requirements to get her Green Card. Is that the sort of thing you think could work in that scenario? Obviously we're just tossing ideas around here while I try and get it all straight in my head! If that is ever possible!
When it comes to staying in the USA under her own steam, it's not the green card qualification that counts, but whether she and the job are the right fit for a work visa. Doing something so specialized might mean an O-1 visa, but she has to be outstanding and well known and well documented in her field. Not all work visas allow the trailing spouse to get an EAD, either, so whether you could work or not would depend on what visa she would get.

Rene
Old Nov 25th 2019, 9:42 pm
Deep in the woods of CT

Originally Posted by ddsrph

Perfect job for women who like animals and want to supplement husbands income.
I think the OP is thinking in terms of doing something that would supplement his wife's income.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.