Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

Trying to buy land in America, hopefully Arizona.

Trying to buy land in America, hopefully Arizona.

Old Nov 24th 2019, 4:22 pm
Deep in the woods of CT

Nutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Trying to buy land in America, hopefully Arizona.

Originally Posted by Arizona_bound
Arizona is where the, if I can use your terminology, chairwoman, has always had her heart set on opening a ranch. She grew up horse riding and was a fully qualified trainer by the age of about 13 or something stupid like that.
Originally Posted by christmasoompa
And if you have the knowledge of horses? I've had horses for years but still wouldn't run a similar business. It's a great option if you are very familiar with them and the care that would be needed though.
Looks as if that may be covered.
Old Nov 24th 2019, 9:51 pm
Forum Regular

Arizona_bound is an unknown quantity at this point

And if you have the knowledge of horses? I've had horses for years but still wouldn't run a similar business. It's a great option if you are very familiar with them and the care that would be needed though.
I completely agree. I wouldn't even consider it if it was just me. Don't even particularly horses and certainly can't ride one! The missus on the other hand, her family were running three stables and riding schools when she was growing up so she was probably riding before she could walk. Then she took over a lot of the management as she got older so she knows what she's doing. I can muck out and that's about it!
Old Nov 24th 2019, 10:19 pm
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat099 is an unknown quantity at this point

Well moot as you can not run a business.
Old Nov 24th 2019, 10:58 pm
Deep in the woods of CT

Nutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Boiler
Well moot as you can not run a business.
Unless they decide to invest in an E-2.
Old Nov 24th 2019, 11:43 pm
Account Closed

Originally Posted by Nutmegger

Unless they decide to invest in an E-2.
Putting that much money in an EB5 would be a better bet.
Old Nov 24th 2019, 11:51 pm
Forum Regular

Putting that much money in an EB5 would be a better bet.
It probably is moot but with the missus experience, she may be able to get a job and then I can piggy back on her visa. If that's even an option??
Old Nov 24th 2019, 11:52 pm
Forum Regular

It probably is moot but with the missus experience, she may be able to get a job and then I can piggy back on her visa. If that's even an option??
How much do these visas cost? Does anyone have a ball park figure? Or am I not allowed to ask that on here?
Old Nov 24th 2019, 11:53 pm
Account Closed

E2 allows for a spouse to obtain a EAD

EB5 is an immigrant visa and will get you a GC.
Old Nov 24th 2019, 11:54 pm
Account Closed

How much do these visas cost? Does anyone have a ball park figure? Or am I not allowed to ask that on here?
Legal costs or investment?
Old Nov 25th 2019, 12:03 am

Noorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond repute

Getting "a job" on an existing ranch is probably not going to lead to a visa. Opening your own ranch could possibly be an E2 visa. Cost probably needs $100K or so. Does not directly lead to a green card, though, and you'd have to be profitable to keep the E-2 renewing.

EB-5 immigrant visa is pretty much just buying your green card (through investment that you may not get a return on) and runs $500K.

Rene

Last edited by Noorah101; Nov 25th 2019 at 12:05 am.
Old Nov 25th 2019, 9:04 am
Forum Regular

Legal costs or investment?
I'd just like to know, if anyone does, the cost of actually putting the paperwork through and applying for the visa. So the legal side I guess that is?
Does a visa like that require some kind of investment in the country then? I imagine it would of course, so the person applying has shown some commitment and willingness to invest in the country.
Old Nov 25th 2019, 9:11 am
SUPER MODERATOR

christmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond repute

I completely agree. I wouldn't even consider it if it was just me. Don't even particularly horses and certainly can't ride one! The missus on the other hand, her family were running three stables and riding schools when she was growing up so she was probably riding before she could walk. Then she took over a lot of the management as she got older so she knows what she's doing. I can muck out and that's about it!
Perfect - don't discount the importance of being able to muck out though, if you've got a ranch with 20+ horses that's a full-time job in itself so you'll be very valuable! Sounds to me as though it could be a very good route to a visa for you.

I'd just like to know, if anyone does, the cost of actually putting the paperwork through and applying for the visa. So the legal side I guess that is?
Does a visa like that require some kind of investment in the country then? I imagine it would of course, so the person applying has shown some commitment and willingness to invest in the country.
Yes, Noorah101 has given you the figures you'll need to invest above to get those visas (one has just gone up though, as of 21st Nov). Legal costs I'd imagine something like $10k on top, possibly more for a complex set up, but that is just a guess - others will be able to give you a more precise figure. Don't forget to add on your healthcare costs as well when doing your sums, which will be considerable as neither of you would have an employer provided plan.

Last edited by christmasoompa; Nov 25th 2019 at 9:14 am.
Old Nov 25th 2019, 9:14 am
SUPER MODERATOR

christmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Noorah101
EB-5 immigrant visa is pretty much just buying your green card (through investment that you may not get a return on) and runs $500K.
It went up last week Rene, to $900k - https://www.uscis.gov/eb-5

HTH.
Old Nov 25th 2019, 9:16 am
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by Noorah101
Getting "a job" on an existing ranch is probably not going to lead to a visa. Opening your own ranch could possibly be an E2 visa. Cost probably needs $100K or so. Does not directly lead to a green card, though, and you'd have to be profitable to keep the E-2 renewing.

Rene
Thanks Noorah101,
So $100k for an E2 visa which would allow you to open a business and show that you can bring some local jobs and employment for people in the area and then it would be something you'd have to keep renewing providing the business doesn't go bust? Have I got that about right?

I think $500k to buy a green card will be unattainable as far as I can see our finances going. When you say investment you may not see a return on is does that mean buying part of an Americen company or business, like a working ranch for example?
And I've just seen the other reply, $900k. Definitely need a lottery win or some very shrewd investments to get to that point!
Old Nov 25th 2019, 9:23 am
Forum Regular

Perfect - don't discount the importance of being able to muck out though, if you've got a ranch with 20+ horses that's a full-time job in itself so you'll be very valuable! Sounds to me as though it could be a very good route to a visa for you.

Yes, Noorah101 has given you the figures you'll need to invest above to get those visas (one has just gone up though, as of 21st Nov). Legal costs I'd imagine something like $10k on top, possibly more for a complex set up, but that is just a guess - others will be able to give you a more precise figure. Don't forget to add on your healthcare costs as well when doing your sums, which will be considerable as neither of you would have an employer provided plan.
Very expensive is what I have taken from everyone. Might see if there's a way to get sponsorship for some of mine, or the missus, skills. Mine are rather select though so probably not. She has the horse stuff which may be out of the question but something to look into and bottom out if needs be.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.