Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

Trying to buy land in America, hopefully Arizona.

Trying to buy land in America, hopefully Arizona.

Old Nov 22nd 2019, 4:45 pm
Often not so civil...

civilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Trying to buy land in America, hopefully Arizona.

Panam? Isn’t that fictional?

Hunger games?
Old Nov 22nd 2019, 5:50 pm
Forum Regular

Arizona_bound is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by tht

if you going somewhere and don’t need to work, why look at high cost developed countries, I see Americans going to Costa Rica, Panam, Mexico (look at Cozumel and the Yucatán and maybe islands of Belize as well.. All these places seem to be easy to live/own in as a foreigner, and are much lower cost.. they wound not if you want dry heat though and of course pay attention to height above current sea level if you are buying.
I have looked at Costa Rica. They seem reasonable and I haven't heard anything bad about the country. As for the others I will have to do a lot of research on them. Which doesn't faze me at all. They are all considerations I will take on board, so thank you. Somewhere up a mountain appeals to me for various reasons, not least of which is the ever reported melting of the ice caps! But that's for another forum I'm sure!
Old Nov 22nd 2019, 8:30 pm
tht
DE-UK-NZ-IE-US... the TYP

tht has a reputation beyond reputetht has a reputation beyond reputetht has a reputation beyond reputetht has a reputation beyond reputetht has a reputation beyond reputetht has a reputation beyond reputetht has a reputation beyond reputetht has a reputation beyond reputetht has a reputation beyond reputetht has a reputation beyond reputetht has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Arizona_bound
I have looked at Costa Rica. They seem reasonable and I haven't heard anything bad about the country. As for the others I will have to do a lot of research on them. Which doesn't faze me at all. They are all considerations I will take on board, so thank you. Somewhere up a mountain appeals to me for various reasons, not least of which is the ever reported melting of the ice caps! But that's for another forum I'm sure!
I remember going up at least 1 hill on an ATV last trip. Pacific coast, people were lovely, roads were more like UK county lanes than American style drive a house through it... I got by with english only, some Spanish would be good there.

Old Nov 22nd 2019, 11:58 pm
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by tht

I remember going up at least 1 hill on an ATV last trip. Pacific coast, people were lovely, roads were more like UK county lanes than American style drive a house through it... I got by with english only, some Spanish would be good there.

Looks amazing.
expensive though. From the brief look I've had of whats on offer. But then you get what you pay for. Come retirement that will.be an option but I was hoping to get the buying done now so when retirement does eventually arrive, everything is good to go. More research required. On everything! What to buy, where to buy, how much to spend, the legal stuff with buying in a country you don't have a residents visa for. Getting a visa. Exchange rates so working out how much its advertised for works out in sterling. And that's just the ones I can think of off the top of my head!
Old Nov 23rd 2019, 4:03 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

morpeth has a reputation beyond reputemorpeth has a reputation beyond reputemorpeth has a reputation beyond reputemorpeth has a reputation beyond reputemorpeth has a reputation beyond reputemorpeth has a reputation beyond reputemorpeth has a reputation beyond reputemorpeth has a reputation beyond reputemorpeth has a reputation beyond reputemorpeth has a reputation beyond reputemorpeth has a reputation beyond repute

Noorah101, you hit the nail on the head. That's exactly what we're looking at. I only mentioned the ranch as an income in order to get a visa as an idea. It wasn't what I had planned on doing or even considered. The idea is to retire and enjoy life, not continue working!
We are looking to go somewhere up in the mountains where the weather is a bit more temperate and they, supposedly, have good soil for fruit trees, veggies and all that kind of stuff. Drilling depths for water seem to be economical in the areas I'm looking and any power would likely be solar.
Retirement age for me, as it stands, is 52. So I consider that quite young to be retiring at. I'll get a good lump sum and a decent monthly amount so showing I won't need to work shouldn't be too difficult, fingers crossed!
But all that is a long way off yet. First things first is getting to Arizona and having a look round to see what's on offer. Then probably finding a local solicitor who can help with what I need to get myself started. From what I can see, I'm not likely to ever get a permanent resident visa but the B2 visa could be the one for us.
Depending size of property you seek there are several companies that sell land under land contracts so no mortgage required, you simply make the payments and at the end the land is yours. This is more common in western states like Texas, New Mexico,, Arizona,Montana and Nevada. You just to make sure the contract if filed at the local county courthouse.
Old Nov 23rd 2019, 9:54 am
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by morpeth
Depending size of property you seek there are several companies that sell land under land contracts so no mortgage required, you simply make the payments and at the end the land is yours. This is more common in western states like Texas, New Mexico,, Arizona,Montana and Nevada. You just to make sure the contract if filed at the local county courthouse.
Thanks for that. I have been looking at land where they say financing is guaranteed etc. I'm extremely wary of anything that says that. But maybe that's because they are doing what you've just said.
I can't help but feel excited at the possibilities but have to keep a cool head otherwise I'd be buying everything I can get my hands on! Have to bear in mind all the difficulties raised on here. This is all going to go in slow time, not going to rush but your advice has definitely given me another option to consider as I always knew a mortgage would be very difficult to get, if not impossible, as a non resident. Maybe your advice will open up another way in so I can buy a little sooner than I'd thought. Then there's just the very minor headache of getting some kind of visa to allow me to use it more than 90 days a year!
Old Nov 23rd 2019, 10:57 am
tht
DE-UK-NZ-IE-US... the TYP

tht has a reputation beyond reputetht has a reputation beyond reputetht has a reputation beyond reputetht has a reputation beyond reputetht has a reputation beyond reputetht has a reputation beyond reputetht has a reputation beyond reputetht has a reputation beyond reputetht has a reputation beyond reputetht has a reputation beyond reputetht has a reputation beyond repute

Thanks for that. I have been looking at land where they say financing is guaranteed etc. I'm extremely wary of anything that says that. But maybe that's because they are doing what you've just said.
I can't help but feel excited at the possibilities but have to keep a cool head otherwise I'd be buying everything I can get my hands on! Have to bear in mind all the difficulties raised on here. This is all going to go in slow time, not going to rush but your advice has definitely given me another option to consider as I always knew a mortgage would be very difficult to get, if not impossible, as a non resident. Maybe your advice will open up another way in so I can buy a little sooner than I'd thought. Then there's just the very minor headache of getting some kind of visa to allow me to use it more than 90 days a year!
It makes sense... the owner gets all that money, if you default they keep the land and likely all your payments and they can build the interest part in to the purchase price.

I would definitely look at more (less) 1st world places where your money will go further... one of the biggest motivators for me to move form being a PR to a citizen here is the ability to move abroad and claim the foreign earned income exclusion while protecting my right to return at will, i am assuming my 2 sons will stay... but who knows 20 years from now.... they have option of the UK and Germany(what’s left of Europe)...

For retirement the focus (on paper) is so different to while you are earning and your job dictates location. On paper I will be looking at:
- tax efficiency
- direct flight home to NY metro airport with multiple airlines
- healthcare
- security
- expat community
- appeal for friends and family to visit
and similar, in reality unless the “Chairwoman” approves we won’t be going anywhere... we already turned down some dream jobs in SIN and Europe because she is in her “forever home” and had built a network of friends she likes via the kids education....

the best laid plans of mice and men researchers and forum dwellers...

Good luck in your quest...
Old Nov 23rd 2019, 5:38 pm
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by tht

It makes sense... the owner gets all that money, if you default they keep the land and likely all your payments and they can build the interest part in to the purchase price.

I would definitely look at more (less) 1st world places where your money will go further... one of the biggest motivators for me to move form being a PR to a citizen here is the ability to move abroad and claim the foreign earned income exclusion while protecting my right to return at will, i am assuming my 2 sons will stay... but who knows 20 years from now.... they have option of the UK and Germany(what’s left of Europe)...

For retirement the focus (on paper) is so different to while you are earning and your job dictates location. On paper I will be looking at:
- tax efficiency
- direct flight home to NY metro airport with multiple airlines
- healthcare
- security
- expat community
- appeal for friends and family to visit
and similar, in reality unless the “Chairwoman” approves we won’t be going anywhere... we already turned down some dream jobs in SIN and Europe because she is in her “forever home” and had built a network of friends she likes via the kids education....

the best laid plans of mice and men researchers and forum dwellers...

Good luck in your quest...
Arizona is where the, if I can use your terminology, chairwoman, has always had her heart set on opening a ranch. She grew up horse riding and was a fully qualified trainer by the age of about 13 or something stupid like that. For me it's the wide open and empty space that appeals to me. But, as has been pointed out, there are many options around the world where you can get the same sort of thing with a little bit more surety when it comes to visas and probably get a bit more land for your money.
My views are similar when it comes to family and friends visiting but as long as you get yourself out there, wherever there is, and get yourself involved, you'll met people with the same interests and form new friendships. Kids aren't an issue, but they do help you meet people with parents etc.
I'm lucky with my missus, she's just as keen to move as I am. My job could be transferable I suppose but is probably not really an option due to the retraining I'd have to go through in my line of work.
I have all the same concerns as yourself when it comes to looking for somewhere. So a lot more research is needed. I'm saying research a lot on here but I think that's what it all comes down to, research, research, research. And Money!
Old Nov 23rd 2019, 6:22 pm
BE Forum Addict

ddsrph has a reputation beyond reputeddsrph has a reputation beyond reputeddsrph has a reputation beyond reputeddsrph has a reputation beyond reputeddsrph has a reputation beyond reputeddsrph has a reputation beyond reputeddsrph has a reputation beyond reputeddsrph has a reputation beyond reputeddsrph has a reputation beyond reputeddsrph has a reputation beyond reputeddsrph has a reputation beyond repute

Your wife needs to meet the owners of Clearview farms in Shelbyville Tennessee. A British couple with an interest in horses bought a 130 acre horse farm and developed it into a thriving bed and breakfast with riding trails. You can google and learn more. I have never met them or visited their bed and breakfast but my wife and I live nearby near Lynchburg. I learned of their farm when I was advising a British couple living in Knoxville who wanted to visit a place to ride. Shelbyville is a horse farm area famous for Tennessee Walking horses. A similar operation could possibly be a route to a visa but as an American I know next to nothing about immigration issues.
Old Nov 23rd 2019, 7:37 pm
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by ddsrph
Your wife needs to meet the owners of Clearview farms in Shelbyville Tennessee. A British couple with an interest in horses bought a 130 acre horse farm and developed it into a thriving bed and breakfast with riding trails. You can google and learn more. I have never met them or visited their bed and breakfast but my wife and I live nearby near Lynchburg. I learned of their farm when I was advising a British couple living in Knoxville who wanted to visit a place to ride. Shelbyville is a horse farm area famous for Tennessee Walking horses. A similar operation could possibly be a route to a visa but as an American I know next to nothing about immigration issues.
Thank you for that. That is definitely something to consider. I hadn't considered it as something we could make work due to visa issues. But they have so that gives me a little glimmer of hope that we could possibly replicate it, probably on a smaller scale but it is certainly food for thought! I shall be googling away shortly and hopefully I can make contact with them and get pointed in the right direction. Hopefully! Thank you for the tip. Very much appreciated! If it ever comes to fruition you've got a free weekend getaway!
Old Nov 23rd 2019, 7:58 pm
BE Forum Addict

ddsrph has a reputation beyond reputeddsrph has a reputation beyond reputeddsrph has a reputation beyond reputeddsrph has a reputation beyond reputeddsrph has a reputation beyond reputeddsrph has a reputation beyond reputeddsrph has a reputation beyond reputeddsrph has a reputation beyond reputeddsrph has a reputation beyond reputeddsrph has a reputation beyond reputeddsrph has a reputation beyond repute

Thank you for that. That is definitely something to consider. I hadn't considered it as something we could make work due to visa issues. But they have so that gives me a little glimmer of hope that we could possibly replicate it, probably on a smaller scale but it is certainly food for thought! I shall be googling away shortly and hopefully I can make contact with them and get pointed in the right direction. Hopefully! Thank you for the tip. Very much appreciated! If it ever comes to fruition you've got a free weekend getaway!
If you ever come by for a visit look us up. Tennessee is a good state to live in and a whole lot greener than Arizona. Low cost of living compared to many states.
Old Nov 23rd 2019, 8:18 pm
Forum Regular

If you ever come by for a visit look us up. Tennessee is a good state to live in and a whole lot greener than Arizona. Low cost of living compared to many states.
We might just hold you to that!

I've already emailed the ranch so hopefully they get in touch and a visit can be arranged. If the missus had her way we'd be on the plane now!
Old Nov 23rd 2019, 8:35 pm
BE Forum Addict

There is a video on utube about Clearview from a local news interview. Shelbyville has the yearly national walking horse event and has several horse farms nearby but Clearview is unique in its business with the riding stables and B&B.
Old Nov 23rd 2019, 9:13 pm
Forum Regular

There is a video on utube about Clearview from a local news interview. Shelbyville has the yearly national walking horse event and has several horse farms nearby but Clearview is unique in its business with the riding stables and B&B.
I'll check it out. As I said, I've emailed them so they will hopefully get back to me. And if the B&B can be arranged then we'll book a couple of nights there. No better way to see how it all works and how they got started etc than talking to them face to face.

I have heard Tennessee is a beautiful place so I'm looking forward to paying it a visit. And if plans for Tennessee don't work out then maybe we can do something similar in Arizona, or another suitable state.

Must thank you again for giving me a different view on it all. Was purely looking at spending as much time there as possible whilst retired. Never considered running that type of business. But that could be a good way to get a foothold in the door. If we can manage to raise the capital to do it!
Old Nov 24th 2019, 3:12 pm
SUPER MODERATOR

christmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond repute

Was purely looking at spending as much time there as possible whilst retired. Never considered running that type of business. But that could be a good way to get a foothold in the door. If we can manage to raise the capital to do it!
And if you have the knowledge of horses? I've had horses for years but still wouldn't run a similar business. It's a great option if you are very familiar with them and the care that would be needed though.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.