Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

Trying to buy land in America, hopefully Arizona.

Trying to buy land in America, hopefully Arizona.

Old Nov 15th 2019, 6:49 pm
Forum Regular

Arizona_bound is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Trying to buy land in America, hopefully Arizona.

Sorry, I meant that they've got lots of 40 acre plots. I've seen one at 73 acres. There are larger plots, over 100 acres. But they probably aren't as desirable location wise and access isn't along title assured easements. Which is a big thing as you want to be able to get to your land!
The ones I've been looking at also say there is no requirement to build, access to the ranch well 24/7. RV use is allowed. So that's why I've been concentrating on that patch. Seems to tick the most boxes for what we are after. As I said though, by the time I can get to buy, they'll all be gone! Sods law. But at least I can find out about the area.
Old Nov 15th 2019, 7:08 pm

Noorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Arizona_bound
The hotel when we visit is going to be in Flagstaff. I've been looking at land in the area of St John's. Which is a few hours east of there. Average height is about 6000 feet. They've got 40 odd acre plots for less than $30,000 dollars. All with proper access and correctly surveyed boundary markers etc. Well depths start at around 100 ish feet.
That's the idea anyway. By the time I get the money and everything in place most of that will be gone but at least visiting those places will confirm if that's where we want to buy.
Why stay so far away? I'd stay in Show Low or Greer, closer to St. Johns.

You know they get snow there, right?

Rene
Old Nov 15th 2019, 7:25 pm
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat099 is an unknown quantity at this point

$30k is about the cost of a well and septic.
Old Nov 15th 2019, 7:45 pm
Forum Regular

We don't know the area that well and we can do a bit of the touristy stuff from Flagstaff, the Grand Canyon, maybe a trip to vegas, that sort of stuff.
This will be the first of many trips so this is almost liking a sighting trip. Travel around a bit with a solid base. Then next time we could possibly do the RV thing and get a proper look round.
I've heard about the snow. Doesn't last that long though from what I can tell. I'm following the weather for St John's and even now it still gets up to 20 during the day. It's in the minus figures at night but it's getting towards that during the day here so that shouldn't be too difficult to cope with! Celsius I'm talking here, don't know if I'll ever get the hang of Fahrenheit!
Old Nov 15th 2019, 7:54 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

SanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond repute

Noorah101, you hit the nail on the head. That's exactly what we're looking at. I only mentioned the ranch as an income in order to get a visa as an idea. It wasn't what I had planned on doing or even considered. The idea is to retire and enjoy life, not continue working!
We are looking to go somewhere up in the mountains where the weather is a bit more temperate and they, supposedly, have good soil for fruit trees, veggies and all that kind of stuff. Drilling depths for water seem to be economical in the areas I'm looking and any power would likely be solar.
Retirement age for me, as it stands, is 52. So I consider that quite young to be retiring at. I'll get a good lump sum and a decent monthly amount so showing I won't need to work shouldn't be too difficult, fingers crossed!
But all that is a long way off yet. First things first is getting to Arizona and having a look round to see what's on offer. Then probably finding a local solicitor who can help with what I need to get myself started. From what I can see, I'm not likely to ever get a permanent resident visa but the B2 visa could be the one for us.
If you are looking for somewhere a bit more temperate in order to grow fruit trees, veggies and all that kind of stuff then I wonder why you are looking at St. Johns Arizona?

Temperature drops to average 9 degrees C in September, with average temps in Jan, -6 degrees C (that's 19 degrees F, and 32 degrees F is freezing point for those who only use Fahrenheit )

It's not called cold -semi arid for nothing !! It can snow from October to March. However, it only gets an average of 11 inches of rain - so you'll be irrigating those fruit tree a lot.
Old Nov 15th 2019, 8:51 pm
Heading for Poppyland

robin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond repute

We don't know the area that well and we can do a bit of the touristy stuff from Flagstaff, the Grand Canyon, maybe a trip to vegas, that sort of stuff.
This will be the first of many trips so this is almost liking a sighting trip. Travel around a bit with a solid base. Then next time we could possibly do the RV thing and get a proper look round.
I've heard about the snow. Doesn't last that long though from what I can tell. I'm following the weather for St John's and even now it still gets up to 20 during the day. It's in the minus figures at night but it's getting towards that during the day here so that shouldn't be too difficult to cope with! Celsius I'm talking here, don't know if I'll ever get the hang of Fahrenheit!
I just looked at some of those property listings. Very nice indeed, and very reasonable prices! I’m tempted! (We live in northern NY, so used to -35 degrees in the winter..)

If I was you, when you go there on vacation, I’d visit with one of the agents and pick his/her brains. As you correctly say, you need road access and a reliable aquifer. I’d be interested to see the land and the trees, shrubs, soil etc.

Good luck!
Old Nov 15th 2019, 9:20 pm
Forum Regular

At this stage it's just looking to see what we like. Which the area around St John seems to offer. Cold weather isn't really an issue, I struggle more with the heat! And I'm sure we can get something to grow that will survive the six months we can't be there anyway. So might just spend the spring and summer months there.

I don't know how to reply to individuals but the person from NY, you've seen what I've seen. It's very attractive and when we are there we will definitely be grabbing some agents to show us around and see what they have to offer!
Old Nov 15th 2019, 10:09 pm
Heading for Poppyland

robin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond repute

I don't know how to reply to individuals but the person from NY, you've seen what I've seen. It's very attractive and when we are there we will definitely be grabbing some agents to show us around and see what they have to offer!
Just click on “quote” at the foot of the message you wish to reply to. Then, you can delete more or less of the quoted post, just making sure you leave all the code, and the square brackets, at the beginning and end of the quoted text. Enjoy your holiday in the SW! I took a trip to El Paso, TX, and drove from there to Alpine, TX, a few years ago. I loved the area..
Old Nov 15th 2019, 10:14 pm
tht
DE-UK-NZ-IE-US... the TYP

tht has a reputation beyond reputetht has a reputation beyond reputetht has a reputation beyond reputetht has a reputation beyond reputetht has a reputation beyond reputetht has a reputation beyond reputetht has a reputation beyond reputetht has a reputation beyond reputetht has a reputation beyond reputetht has a reputation beyond reputetht has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by civilservant
You won't. Visas are not available for this. Unless you want to plunge several hundred thousand $$ into it, anyway.
Inthough there specifically visas for farm workers... google seems to confirm there are, I have no idea how they work: https://www.cfr.org/backgrounder/us-...orker-programs seems like a round peg and square hole.
Old Nov 16th 2019, 3:55 am
Powder Maggot

AdobePinon has a reputation beyond reputeAdobePinon has a reputation beyond reputeAdobePinon has a reputation beyond reputeAdobePinon has a reputation beyond reputeAdobePinon has a reputation beyond reputeAdobePinon has a reputation beyond reputeAdobePinon has a reputation beyond reputeAdobePinon has a reputation beyond reputeAdobePinon has a reputation beyond reputeAdobePinon has a reputation beyond reputeAdobePinon has a reputation beyond repute

And I'm sure we can get something to grow that will survive the six months we can't be there anyway. So might just spend the spring and summer months there.
You might be surprised. I live at 7,000 feet - the running joke here is that if you buy six-foot tomato plants, they’ll end up three feet tall by summer, but at least you’ll have tomatoes.
Old Nov 16th 2019, 9:02 am
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by robin1234

Just click on “quote” at the foot of the message you wish to reply to. Then, you can delete more or less of the quoted post, just making sure you leave all the code, and the square brackets, at the beginning and end of the quoted text. Enjoy your holiday in the SW! I took a trip to El Paso, TX, and drove from there to Alpine, TX, a few years ago. I loved the area..
Thank you.
I'm looking forward to it. Texas is also somewhere we would like to see.
Old Nov 16th 2019, 9:14 am
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by tht

Inthough there specifically visas for farm workers... google seems to confirm there are, I have no idea how they work: https://www.cfr.org/backgrounder/us-...orker-programs seems like a round peg and square hole.
That's as clear as mud! Thanks for the link, but I'm none the wiser, it seems they aren't either!
Old Nov 16th 2019, 9:17 am
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by AdobePinon

You might be surprised. I live at 7,000 feet - the running joke here is that if you buy six-foot tomato plants, they’ll end up three feet tall by summer, but at least you’ll have tomatoes.
Poly tunnels. Although the other half is quite short and she's the only one of us who likes tomatoes! So she'll probably like that! 🤣
Old Nov 16th 2019, 2:37 pm
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat099 is an unknown quantity at this point

H2A is the visa for agricultural workers if you need help.
Old Nov 16th 2019, 3:41 pm
Concierge

Rete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Noorah101
So maybe Flagstaff? Peyson? Prescott? White Mountains area?

Rene
My daughter's in-laws live in Orza Valley, AZ. They have change of seasons.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.