Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

Trusted Travelers: Global Entry VIP

Wikiposts

Trusted Travelers: Global Entry VIP

Old Jun 20th 2011, 11:44 am

meauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond repute
Default Trusted Travelers: Global Entry VIP

What is Global Entry?

Global Entry is a U.S. Customs and Border Protection (CBP) program that allows expedited clearance for pre-approved, low-risk travelers upon arrival in the United States. Though intended for frequent international travelers, there is no minimum number of trips necessary to qualify for the program. Participants may enter the United States by using automated kiosks located at select airports.

How Does the Global Entry Program Work?
At airports, program participants proceed to Global Entry kiosks, present their machine-readable passport or U.S. permanent resident card, place their fingertips on the scanner for fingerprint verification, and make a customs declaration. The kiosk issues the traveler a transaction receipt and directs the traveler to baggage claim and the exit.

Travelers must be pre-approved for the Global Entry program. All applicants undergo a rigorous background check and interview before enrollment.

While Global Entry's goal is to speed travelers through the process, members may be selected for further examination when entering the United States. Any violation of the program's terms and conditions will result in appropriate enforcement action and revocation of the traveler's membership privileges

Benefits for Global Entry Members

Your time is valuable. As a pre-screened Global Entry member, you arrive in the United States, check-in at the Global Entry kiosk - and you're on your way. So what are you waiting for?

No processing lines
No paperwork
Access to expedited entry benefits in other countries
Available at major U.S. airports
Reduced wait times

Last edited by meauxna; Jun 20th 2011 at 1:16 pm. Reason: fixed it for Bob :)
Old Jun 20th 2011, 1:00 pm
Bob
BE Site Lead

Bob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Trusted Travelers: Global Entry VIP

how spammy did that sound...would have been embarrassing to have been on auto pilot there
Old Jun 20th 2011, 1:07 pm

meauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond repute

It was the 'VIP' that did you in, was'nt it.
Or maybe the 'global'.
I would've had to kick your azz, of course.
Old Jun 20th 2011, 1:12 pm
Bob
BE Site Lead

Bob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by meauxna
It was the 'VIP' that did you in, was'nt it.
Or maybe the 'global'.
I would've had to kick your azz, of course.
And the polite entry of "Trusted Travelers"....almost killed it till I noticed your avatar
Old Jun 20th 2011, 1:17 pm

Originally Posted by Bob
And the polite entry of "Trusted Travelers"....almost killed it till I noticed your avatar
There, rearranged it so it doesn't look quite as spammy. You can change the title. I'm trying to do colors for my sister's website and I'm almost blind now.
Old Jun 20th 2011, 6:02 pm
BE Forum Addict

md95065 has a reputation beyond reputemd95065 has a reputation beyond reputemd95065 has a reputation beyond reputemd95065 has a reputation beyond reputemd95065 has a reputation beyond reputemd95065 has a reputation beyond reputemd95065 has a reputation beyond reputemd95065 has a reputation beyond reputemd95065 has a reputation beyond reputemd95065 has a reputation beyond reputemd95065 has a reputation beyond repute

All applicants undergo a rigorous background check and interview before enrollment.
I wonder how much Latin you need to get through the rigorous background check ...

Last edited by md95065; Jun 20th 2011 at 6:20 pm.
Old Jun 20th 2011, 6:54 pm
Forum Regular

NSBlake is a name known to allNSBlake is a name known to allNSBlake is a name known to allNSBlake is a name known to allNSBlake is a name known to allNSBlake is a name known to allNSBlake is a name known to allNSBlake is a name known to allNSBlake is a name known to allNSBlake is a name known to allNSBlake is a name known to all

Takes about 5 to 10 mins to sign up to "Iris" in the UK - so quick and easy and no interview.

Of course you do sometimes have to put up with idiots in the wrong line - thinking they can use it even if they haven't signed up for it

Why is the US always so technically behind most other countries when it comes to things like this....................

There's probably something in the constitution
Old Jun 21st 2011, 4:03 am
Wolf In Sheeps Clothing

Sheepdip has a reputation beyond reputeSheepdip has a reputation beyond reputeSheepdip has a reputation beyond reputeSheepdip has a reputation beyond reputeSheepdip has a reputation beyond reputeSheepdip has a reputation beyond reputeSheepdip has a reputation beyond reputeSheepdip has a reputation beyond reputeSheepdip has a reputation beyond reputeSheepdip has a reputation beyond reputeSheepdip has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by NSBlake
Takes about 5 to 10 mins to sign up to "Iris" in the UK - so quick and easy and no interview.

Of course you do sometimes have to put up with idiots in the wrong line - thinking they can use it even if they haven't signed up for it

Why is the US always so technically behind most other countries when it comes to things like this....................

There's probably something in the constitution
Last time I went to the UK the IRIS was being phased out for the new biometric parrport. Couldn't sign up any more.
Old Jun 21st 2011, 4:04 am
Wolf In Sheeps Clothing

Sheepdip has a reputation beyond reputeSheepdip has a reputation beyond reputeSheepdip has a reputation beyond reputeSheepdip has a reputation beyond reputeSheepdip has a reputation beyond reputeSheepdip has a reputation beyond reputeSheepdip has a reputation beyond reputeSheepdip has a reputation beyond reputeSheepdip has a reputation beyond reputeSheepdip has a reputation beyond reputeSheepdip has a reputation beyond repute

I was thinking of doing this but there's too few (and too far away) interview points to make it worth while.
Old Jun 21st 2011, 5:02 am
Grumpy Know-it-all

Steve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond repute

All applicants undergo a rigorous background check and interview before enrollment.
My experience was that my NEXUS interview (you can use global entry as a NEXUS or SENTRI member) was pretty similar to US-VISIT, the only question they asked you wouldn't normally get asked as someone from the UK visiting the US was details about my car, because obviously you might cross by land.

As for how "rigorous" it was, the main reason I applied was because they keep getting me confused with someone else when I enter, even after I got my NEXUS card I still had to make a complaint through DHS-TRIP to get it resolved.
Old Jun 21st 2011, 5:15 am

You guys know that I didn't author that material, right?
Old Jun 21st 2011, 5:23 am
Grumpy Know-it-all

Steve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond repute

Yes, I'm just saying it's the usual BS you get from CBP.
Old Jun 21st 2011, 2:11 pm
BE Enthusiast

Kar98 has much to be proud ofKar98 has much to be proud ofKar98 has much to be proud ofKar98 has much to be proud ofKar98 has much to be proud ofKar98 has much to be proud ofKar98 has much to be proud ofKar98 has much to be proud ofKar98 has much to be proud ofKar98 has much to be proud ofKar98 has much to be proud of

Really, a passport, greencard, visa or combination of that is not what constitutes being certified as a trusted traveler?
What are those for then, I wonder.
Old Jun 22nd 2011, 6:27 am
Grumpy Know-it-all

I get the impression it's sort of a transitional thing, for example NEXUS cards have an RFID chip in them so they can be read at land POEs with a NEXUS lane, however Canadian passports won't have the chip until next year.

At some point it will all be electronic but everyone will have to have an ePassport and their biometrics recorded first, so this is a way of people using that technology if they want.

I find it interesting there is always some bored CBP inspector waiving you through entering the US with a NEXUS card but at some Canadian POEs they seem to rely completely on the machines, at least for immigration (not for customs).
Old Jun 23rd 2011, 4:53 am
Forum Regular

Alan17 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan17 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan17 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan17 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan17 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan17 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan17 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan17 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan17 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan17 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan17 has a reputation beyond repute

I signed up for this a couple of years ago. If you're a frequent traveller it's great for getting through immigration an customs. My record (with hand luggage only) is 15 minutes from wheels down to being in my car on the way home at LAX. Interview is a pain unless you live near an airport but otherwise well worth it.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.