Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

Trump Tweets Immigration into the US will be suspended.

Trump Tweets Immigration into the US will be suspended.

Old Apr 21st 2020, 8:50 pm
Forum Regular

capin is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Trump Tweets Immigration into the US will be suspended.

Originally Posted by stuwoolf
Not quite sure of the details of Biometrics but if its finger prints and photographs, isnt this information gathered each time an entry to US takes place? I know each time I visited from UK on the VWP prints and pics were taken at Passport Control, Newark Airport

What exactly are Biometrics?
Photograph and fingerprints. I agree with your comments but who am I to argue with USCIS and an I797C.
Old Apr 21st 2020, 9:00 pm
BE Enthusiast

TexanScot has a reputation beyond reputeTexanScot has a reputation beyond reputeTexanScot has a reputation beyond reputeTexanScot has a reputation beyond reputeTexanScot has a reputation beyond reputeTexanScot has a reputation beyond reputeTexanScot has a reputation beyond reputeTexanScot has a reputation beyond reputeTexanScot has a reputation beyond reputeTexanScot has a reputation beyond reputeTexanScot has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by capin
I think USCIS should have our fingerprints from L1/2 appointments.
But USCIS doesn’t have fingerprints from consular appointments - the State Department has them.

Old Apr 21st 2020, 9:04 pm
Banned

andyrebell has a reputation beyond reputeandyrebell has a reputation beyond reputeandyrebell has a reputation beyond reputeandyrebell has a reputation beyond reputeandyrebell has a reputation beyond reputeandyrebell has a reputation beyond reputeandyrebell has a reputation beyond reputeandyrebell has a reputation beyond reputeandyrebell has a reputation beyond reputeandyrebell has a reputation beyond reputeandyrebell has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by penguinsix
NY Times saying new green cards likely suspended but not worker and temporary visas. Exemption also likely for GC dependent kids. Still developing...

https://www.nytimes.com/2020/04/21/u...e=articleShare
It defeats the purpose when Australian E3 employment and 65000 H1B visas are processed each year mostly to graduate foreign students in a listing of so called speciality occupations in both circumstances. These occupations being what a reasonable number american college kids study and intern in even. Again trump does not know what is doing.
Old Apr 21st 2020, 9:11 pm
Forum Regular

petepete99 has a reputation beyond reputepetepete99 has a reputation beyond reputepetepete99 has a reputation beyond reputepetepete99 has a reputation beyond reputepetepete99 has a reputation beyond reputepetepete99 has a reputation beyond reputepetepete99 has a reputation beyond reputepetepete99 has a reputation beyond reputepetepete99 has a reputation beyond reputepetepete99 has a reputation beyond reputepetepete99 has a reputation beyond repute

It would be a dream come true for different Federal agencies to share information (such as biometrics) with eachother where it didn't involve some form of criminal investigation!
Old Apr 21st 2020, 9:47 pm
Deep in the woods of CT

Nutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by petepete99
..and I do think we're at an advantage here and we do plan on tying the knot very soon. But I don't want to get complacent. Do you think there would still be a risk after we're married? We'll still need to go through the actual process of AOS etc
You would possibly end up landlocked because the process of adjusting your status will be slower than usual, but you wouldn’t be in the position of having to leave the country because your visa ran out. I’d suggest you get married and file ASAP.
Old Apr 22nd 2020, 3:28 am
Just Joined

Pugzilla is an unknown quantity at this point

I was days away from my final interview for my greencard before it was cancelled because of the lock down, now this. Talk about bad luck. I can only hope I have gone far enough in the process for it to continue. I have my Employment Authorization Document but that only lasts one year. Hopefully this gets sorted soon, just another thing to add stress to our lives during this pandemic it seems.

Last edited by Pugzilla; Apr 22nd 2020 at 3:35 am.
Old Apr 22nd 2020, 3:30 am
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat099 is an unknown quantity at this point

Worst case you renew AP and EAD.
Old Apr 22nd 2020, 11:00 pm
Forum Regular

os306 has a reputation beyond reputeos306 has a reputation beyond reputeos306 has a reputation beyond reputeos306 has a reputation beyond reputeos306 has a reputation beyond reputeos306 has a reputation beyond reputeos306 has a reputation beyond reputeos306 has a reputation beyond reputeos306 has a reputation beyond reputeos306 has a reputation beyond reputeos306 has a reputation beyond repute

The EO is out!

The suspension and limitation on entry pursuant to section 1 of this proclamation shall not apply to:

(i) any lawful permanent resident of the United States;

(ii) any alien seeking to enter the United States on an immigrant visa as a physician, nurse, or other healthcare professional; to perform medical research or other research intended to combat the spread of COVID-19; or to perform work essential to combating, recovering from, or otherwise alleviating the effects of the COVID-19 outbreak, as determined by the Secretary of State, the Secretary of Homeland Security, or their respective designees; and any spouse and unmarried children under 21 years old of any such alien who are accompanying or following to join the alien;

(iii) any alien applying for a visa to enter the United States pursuant to the EB-5 Immigrant Investor Program;

(iv) any alien who is the spouse of a United States citizen;

(v) any alien who is under 21 years old and is the child of a United States citizen, or who is a prospective adoptee seeking to enter the United States pursuant to the IR-4 or IH-4 visa classifications;

(vi) any alien whose entry would further important United States law enforcement objectives, as determined by the Secretary of State, the Secretary of Homeland Security, or their respective designees, based on a recommendation of the Attorney General or his designee;

(vii) any member of the United States Armed Forces and any spouse and children of a member of the United States Armed Forces;

(viii) any alien seeking to enter the United States pursuant to a Special Immigrant Visa in the SI or SQ classification, subject to such conditions as the Secretary of State may impose, and any spouse and children of any such individual; or

(ix) any alien whose entry would be in the national interest, as determined by the Secretary of State, the Secretary of Homeland Security, or their respective designees.
Old Apr 22nd 2020, 11:22 pm
Often not so civil...

civilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond repute

You could drive an 18 wheeler through those exceptions.

Headline grabbing again.
Old Apr 22nd 2020, 11:25 pm
BE Enthusiast

TexanScot has a reputation beyond reputeTexanScot has a reputation beyond reputeTexanScot has a reputation beyond reputeTexanScot has a reputation beyond reputeTexanScot has a reputation beyond reputeTexanScot has a reputation beyond reputeTexanScot has a reputation beyond reputeTexanScot has a reputation beyond reputeTexanScot has a reputation beyond reputeTexanScot has a reputation beyond reputeTexanScot has a reputation beyond repute

It’s the further measures in 30 days that I’m worried about, plus it incorrectly states that new permanent residents have an “unrestricted employment authorization document”, when they don’t have EADs at all.

Makes me wonder if the follow-up order is going to go after nonimmigrant work visas and accompanying spouses on EADs, given the clumsy wording in this one.
Old Apr 23rd 2020, 12:17 am
tht
DE-UK-NZ-IE-US... the TYP

tht has a reputation beyond reputetht has a reputation beyond reputetht has a reputation beyond reputetht has a reputation beyond reputetht has a reputation beyond reputetht has a reputation beyond reputetht has a reputation beyond reputetht has a reputation beyond reputetht has a reputation beyond reputetht has a reputation beyond reputetht has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by TexanScot
It’s the further measures in 30 days that I’m worried about, plus it incorrectly states that new permanent residents have an “unrestricted employment authorization document”, when they don’t have EADs at all.

Makes me wonder if the follow-up order is going to go after nonimmigrant work visas and accompanying spouses on EADs, given the clumsy wording in this one.
A green card is not an EAD, but it’s a document that gives you the ability to work for most employers (excluding USC only jobs) so it is pretty much the least restrictive employment authorization document you can get as a non USC.
Old Apr 23rd 2020, 12:34 am
BE Enthusiast

I know it’s not an EAD, that’s my point.

Why would the order - presumably having been reviewed by counsel - suggest that a green card is some sort of unrestricted EAD?

They are completely different documents, so why try and blur the line between the two?

Why explicitly mention the words “employment authorization document” at all?
Old Apr 23rd 2020, 1:24 am
tht
DE-UK-NZ-IE-US... the TYP

tht has a reputation beyond reputetht has a reputation beyond reputetht has a reputation beyond reputetht has a reputation beyond reputetht has a reputation beyond reputetht has a reputation beyond reputetht has a reputation beyond reputetht has a reputation beyond reputetht has a reputation beyond reputetht has a reputation beyond reputetht has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by TexanScot
I know it’s not an EAD, that’s my point.

Why would the order - presumably having been reviewed by counsel - suggest that a green card is some sort of unrestricted EAD?

They are completely different documents, so why try and blur the line between the two?

Why explicitly mention the words “employment authorization document” at all?
They are not that different in some contexts the I-9 list uses similar words and includes a GC:

“LIST A: Documents That Establish Both Identity and Employment Authorization”

https://www.uscis.gov/i-9-central/13...n-and-identity

Maybe the point they are making is that a PR / Green card holder can take any job, where a visa holder can only take a specific job related to the visa.

Last edited by tht; Apr 23rd 2020 at 1:27 am.
Old Apr 23rd 2020, 1:32 am
BE Enthusiast

Originally Posted by tht
Maybe the point they are making is that a PR / Green card holder can take any job, where a visa holder can only take a specific job related to the visa.
Section 6 states that further measures relating to temporary work visas may be considered in 30 days time, so I guess we’ll find out then.
Old Apr 23rd 2020, 2:55 am
BE Forum Addict

retzie has a reputation beyond reputeretzie has a reputation beyond reputeretzie has a reputation beyond reputeretzie has a reputation beyond reputeretzie has a reputation beyond reputeretzie has a reputation beyond reputeretzie has a reputation beyond reputeretzie has a reputation beyond reputeretzie has a reputation beyond reputeretzie has a reputation beyond reputeretzie has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by os306
(iii) any alien applying for a visa to enter the United States pursuant to the EB-5 Immigrant Investor Program;
LOL

Originally Posted by os306
(vi) any alien whose entry would further important United States law enforcement objectives, as determined by the Secretary of State, the Secretary of Homeland Security, or their respective designees, based on a recommendation of the Attorney General or his designee;
And W.T.F.

Sorry, only stupid text-speak is a suitable response to this kind of stupidity. I'm truly sorry to those whose lives are hanging in the balance on the drivellings of the orange one

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.