Reload this Page >

Is this true?? Florida Driving License

Is this true?? Florida Driving License

Old Sep 9th 2009, 3:18 pm
Forum Regular

dolega is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Is this true?? Florida Driving License

Picked this up from the Sarasota British website:

If you’re new to Florida, State law requires that, within 30 days of establishing permanent residence or enrolling a child in school, you must apply for a Florida Driver’s License. (The fine for not doing so is quite steep, by the way).

Is this true???
Old Sep 9th 2009, 3:21 pm
Ray

Ray has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Is this true?? Florida Driving License

Originally Posted by dolega

If you’re new to Florida, State law requires that, within 30 days of establishing permanent residence or enrolling a child in school, you must apply for a Florida Driver’s License. (The fine for not doing so is quite steep, by the way).

Is this true???
Yes of course... its not a very difficult process ..
I have seen untrained animals pass the test
Old Sep 9th 2009, 3:22 pm
BE Enthusiast

caleyjag has a reputation beyond reputecaleyjag has a reputation beyond reputecaleyjag has a reputation beyond reputecaleyjag has a reputation beyond reputecaleyjag has a reputation beyond reputecaleyjag has a reputation beyond reputecaleyjag has a reputation beyond reputecaleyjag has a reputation beyond reputecaleyjag has a reputation beyond reputecaleyjag has a reputation beyond reputecaleyjag has a reputation beyond repute

Is this true???
Could well be. In California it's 10 days. The argument on here recently concerned how the authorities define 'establishing permanent residence'.

Prob safest to get it out the way as soon as you can.
Old Sep 9th 2009, 3:24 pm
I'm off to find a spanner

sime303 has a reputation beyond reputesime303 has a reputation beyond reputesime303 has a reputation beyond reputesime303 has a reputation beyond reputesime303 has a reputation beyond reputesime303 has a reputation beyond reputesime303 has a reputation beyond reputesime303 has a reputation beyond reputesime303 has a reputation beyond reputesime303 has a reputation beyond reputesime303 has a reputation beyond repute

http://www.flhsmv.gov/index.html

http://www.flhsmv.gov/ddl/faqkeys.html
Old Sep 9th 2009, 3:31 pm
Forum Regular

Interesting.. anything less than the the 3 years it took me to get my GB driving licence will do me just fine.

Caleyjag.. interesting point about how the authorities could define 'permanent residence' in the state. What was the upshot of the recent argument?
Old Sep 9th 2009, 3:58 pm
BE Forum Addict

Bill_S has a reputation beyond reputeBill_S has a reputation beyond reputeBill_S has a reputation beyond reputeBill_S has a reputation beyond reputeBill_S has a reputation beyond reputeBill_S has a reputation beyond reputeBill_S has a reputation beyond reputeBill_S has a reputation beyond reputeBill_S has a reputation beyond reputeBill_S has a reputation beyond reputeBill_S has a reputation beyond repute

Pretty much the same in every state. If you live in Florida, get a Florida DL asap. Trying to split hairs with the coppers over whether you're somehow immune on a technicality won't get you very far.
Old Sep 9th 2009, 4:17 pm
Ray

Ray has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Bill_S
Pretty much the same in every state. If you live in Florida, get a Florida DL asap. Trying to split hairs with the coppers over whether you're somehow immune on a technicality won't get you very far.
Be fair Bill ..there was that case in 1956 where a Florida Sheriff admitted he was wrong...They replaced his coffee anyway ...
Old Sep 9th 2009, 4:32 pm

meauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond repute

Is this true???
You can't even squeeze off on a technicality; your past post says you are coming on an immigrant visa; you become a Permanent Resident (under immigration law) the day you arrive. Your stated and implied intention at that point is to permanently live in the US, so you're a resident two ways from Sunday.

The driving test is probably NOT what you think it is.
Old Sep 10th 2009, 1:29 pm
BE Enthusiast

Kar98 has much to be proud ofKar98 has much to be proud ofKar98 has much to be proud ofKar98 has much to be proud ofKar98 has much to be proud ofKar98 has much to be proud ofKar98 has much to be proud ofKar98 has much to be proud ofKar98 has much to be proud ofKar98 has much to be proud ofKar98 has much to be proud of

Why is everybody so afraid of the process of getting a license? A haribo(r) gummi bear could get one in the US, and especially in Florida.
Old Sep 10th 2009, 2:12 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Englishtart has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishtart has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishtart has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishtart has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishtart has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishtart has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishtart has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishtart has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishtart has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishtart has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishtart has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Kar98
Why is everybody so afraid of the process of getting a license? A haribo(r) gummi bear could get one in the US, and especially in Florida.
Thought they came free in 'lucky bags'
Old Sep 10th 2009, 2:26 pm

chartreuse is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by Ray
Yes of course... its not a very difficult process ..
I have seen untrained animals pass the test
I think that I may hold the BE record for repeatedly failing a US driving test.
Old Sep 10th 2009, 2:50 pm
BE Enthusiast

WARPed has a reputation beyond reputeWARPed has a reputation beyond reputeWARPed has a reputation beyond reputeWARPed has a reputation beyond reputeWARPed has a reputation beyond reputeWARPed has a reputation beyond reputeWARPed has a reputation beyond reputeWARPed has a reputation beyond reputeWARPed has a reputation beyond reputeWARPed has a reputation beyond reputeWARPed has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Englishtart
Thought they came free in 'lucky bags'
No they come in packs of Cornflakes.

The driving test is EASY! Like super easy! They don't even make you drive on a public road! Spend a day reading the driving manual and you will pass without breaking a sweat.

In answer to you question of how soon you need to get a license...The Florida Drivers handbook states in full:

# If you move to Florida and have a valid license from another state, you must get a Florida license within 30 days of becoming a resident. You are considered a resident of Florida if you:

* Enroll your children in public school, or
* Register to vote, or
* File for a homestead exemption, or
* Accept employment, or
* Reside in Florida for more than six consecutive months

This would imply you have 6 months + 30 days to get a FL license.

However...that isn't to say that your UK license will be considered valid for that long by the authorities. I can't seem to find any info on that.
Old Sep 10th 2009, 2:56 pm

Jaxbar has a reputation beyond reputeJaxbar has a reputation beyond reputeJaxbar has a reputation beyond reputeJaxbar has a reputation beyond reputeJaxbar has a reputation beyond reputeJaxbar has a reputation beyond reputeJaxbar has a reputation beyond reputeJaxbar has a reputation beyond reputeJaxbar has a reputation beyond reputeJaxbar has a reputation beyond reputeJaxbar has a reputation beyond repute

I knew a cop here who took great delight in telling me that he gave a Brit a 200.00 fine on Christmas day because he wasnt driving on an international licence. so not really worth the hassle.

As others have said it is not comparable with getting licence in the UK. I only went in to do the written test but the DMV convinced me to just get on with it. Other than getting told off for using my handbrake... it was ridiculously easy.
Old Sep 10th 2009, 4:25 pm
Forum Regular

Hey ho.. I ought to hone up on driving an automatic, I'm a manual car kinda guy!
Old Sep 10th 2009, 4:34 pm
Forum Regular

mamasue has a reputation beyond reputemamasue has a reputation beyond reputemamasue has a reputation beyond reputemamasue has a reputation beyond reputemamasue has a reputation beyond reputemamasue has a reputation beyond reputemamasue has a reputation beyond reputemamasue has a reputation beyond reputemamasue has a reputation beyond reputemamasue has a reputation beyond reputemamasue has a reputation beyond repute

Hey ho.. I ought to hone up on driving an automatic, I'm a manual car kinda guy!
Automatic is simple.... just shove it in Drive and sit on your left foot!!!

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.