Wikiposts

Truck tyres

Old Jun 23rd 2012, 2:29 pm
BE Enthusiast

Muswell Hill has a reputation beyond reputeMuswell Hill has a reputation beyond reputeMuswell Hill has a reputation beyond reputeMuswell Hill has a reputation beyond reputeMuswell Hill has a reputation beyond reputeMuswell Hill has a reputation beyond reputeMuswell Hill has a reputation beyond reputeMuswell Hill has a reputation beyond reputeMuswell Hill has a reputation beyond reputeMuswell Hill has a reputation beyond reputeMuswell Hill has a reputation beyond repute
Default Truck tyres

Random question: after almost hitting a large chunk of tyre on the interstate, does anyone know why American truck tyres fall apart so frequently on the roads?
I never used to see this in the UK.

Cheers,
MH
Old Jun 23rd 2012, 2:38 pm
Septicity

fatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Truck tyres

Extremes of weather.
Old Jun 23rd 2012, 2:47 pm
SUPER MODERATOR

Jerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Muswell Hill
Random question: after almost hitting a large chunk of tyre on the interstate, does anyone know why American truck tyres fall apart so frequently on the roads?

Cheers,
MH
We had a thread about this a few years ago in The Lounge forum...I'll see if I can locate it. At the time we had several truckers posting.
Old Jun 23rd 2012, 3:11 pm
The Kwisatz Haderach

Mummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond repute

Those tires on the freeway are usually retreads that have peeled off from big rig trailers.
Old Jun 23rd 2012, 4:06 pm
SUPER MODERATOR

Jerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Mummy in the foothills
Those tires on the freeway are usually retreads that have peeled off from big rig trailers.
Yes and a few months ago a 6 ft piece came hurtling at us on I-80. I ducked under the dashboard...fortunately my hubby was driving...he didn't flinch an inch. It just missed the windowscreen...hit the roof of the car and I reported it to the state police. A couple of miles down the interstate a bicycle came flying off the roof of a car in front of us. Again...someone was looking out for us that day...and again I reported it to 911.
Old Jun 23rd 2012, 4:44 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Michael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond repute

Cheers,
MH
Where in the UK can an 18 wheeler come barreling down the road at 70 mph on retread tires?
Old Jun 24th 2012, 1:39 am
Boomshacalaca!!

Tarkak9 has a reputation beyond reputeTarkak9 has a reputation beyond reputeTarkak9 has a reputation beyond reputeTarkak9 has a reputation beyond reputeTarkak9 has a reputation beyond reputeTarkak9 has a reputation beyond reputeTarkak9 has a reputation beyond reputeTarkak9 has a reputation beyond reputeTarkak9 has a reputation beyond reputeTarkak9 has a reputation beyond reputeTarkak9 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Jerseygirl
(.... and a couple of miles after that??) -

Old Jun 24th 2012, 2:46 am
The Kwisatz Haderach

Mummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond repute

Yes and a few months ago a 6 ft piece came hurtling at us on I-80. I ducked under the dashboard...fortunately my hubby was driving...he didn't flinch an inch. It just missed the windowscreen...hit the roof of the car and I reported it to the state police. A couple of miles down the interstate a bicycle came flying off the roof of a car in front of us. Again...someone was looking out for us that day...and again I reported it to 911.
not a good day driving
Old Jun 24th 2012, 4:44 am
BE Enthusiast

Muswell Hill has a reputation beyond reputeMuswell Hill has a reputation beyond reputeMuswell Hill has a reputation beyond reputeMuswell Hill has a reputation beyond reputeMuswell Hill has a reputation beyond reputeMuswell Hill has a reputation beyond reputeMuswell Hill has a reputation beyond reputeMuswell Hill has a reputation beyond reputeMuswell Hill has a reputation beyond reputeMuswell Hill has a reputation beyond reputeMuswell Hill has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Michael
Where in the UK can an 18 wheeler come barreling down the road at 70 mph on retread tires?
Excuse my ignorance on such matters, but what are retreads?
Old Jun 24th 2012, 8:48 am
Rootbeeraholic

Bink has a reputation beyond reputeBink has a reputation beyond reputeBink has a reputation beyond reputeBink has a reputation beyond reputeBink has a reputation beyond reputeBink has a reputation beyond reputeBink has a reputation beyond reputeBink has a reputation beyond reputeBink has a reputation beyond reputeBink has a reputation beyond reputeBink has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Michael
70?! Most of them here seem to do 80 It scares the bejesus out of me, especially in the wet.
Old Jun 24th 2012, 9:34 am
The Kwisatz Haderach

I think they call them remoulds in UK or was I dreaming that?
Old Jun 24th 2012, 9:39 am
SUPER MODERATOR

We had a thread about this a few years ago in The Lounge forum...I'll see if I can locate it. At the time we had several truckers posting.
Here is the old thread I mentioned. It seems the extremes in temperatures here in the US may have something to do with the retreads being shredded all over the roads.

I think they call them remoulds in UK or was I dreaming that?
No you are not dreaming...we call them remoulds.
Old Jun 24th 2012, 10:52 am
The Kwisatz Haderach

Here is the old thread I mentioned. It seems the extremes in temperatures here in the US may have something to do with the retreads being shredded all over the roads.

No you are not dreaming...we call them remoulds.
You know I've been here so long I say stuff and then wonder why I'm getting blank stares. I don't know what is British and what is American anymore. I'm so confused
Old Jun 24th 2012, 11:06 am
SUPER MODERATOR

You know I've been here so long I say stuff and then wonder why I'm getting blank stares. I don't know what is British and what is American anymore. I'm so confused
I have the same problem...sometimes I can't even tell if it's an American or British accent.
Old Jun 24th 2012, 3:29 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Michael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond repute

Excuse my ignorance on such matters, but what are retreads?
Many truckers don't purchase new tires but instead purchase tires that have a new tread molded on a used tire to save money. In theory, a retreaded tire is supposed to be as good as a new tire but in my opinion they aren't and the tread can come lose from the tire.

Also since a company may retread many different brands of tires, it is unknown if their process will hold the tread equally well to all the different brands of tires.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.