British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   USA (https://britishexpats.com/forum/usa-57/)
-   -   truck driving (https://britishexpats.com/forum/usa-57/truck-driving-747508/)

tipex Feb 5th 2012 7:13 pm

truck driving

hi all, i have a hgv 1 licence in the uk, do i have to do all the cdl schooling in the us or is it a swap over licence plus maybe a few hours of schooling.
I have a green card and am moving to Florida in august but dont want to spend thousands on retraining, be gratefull for any adv:fingerscrossed::confused:ice

Scouse Express Feb 5th 2012 7:54 pm

Re: truck driving

Originally Posted by tipex (Post 9885428)
hi all, i have a hgv 1 licence in the uk, do i have to do all the cdl schooling in the us or is it a swap over licence plus maybe a few hours of schooling.
I have a green card and am moving to Florida in august but dont want to spend thousands on retraining, be gratefull for any adv:fingerscrossed::confused:ice

You will have to re-sit all of the Tests, once you have a US Social Security Number and Permission to work.

It will be a cake-walk. If you want to drive for one of the Big Companies, like Schneider for example, they will train you......but, you will have to commit to work for them for a certain period of time.

Jim (Coach Driver).

Bob Feb 6th 2012 2:08 pm

Originally Posted by Scouse Express (Post 9885482)

It will be a cake-walk. If you want to drive for one of the Big Companies, like Schneider for example, they will train you......but, you will have to commit to work for them for a certain period of time.

It's pretty expensive other wise isn't it?

Also regular tests and blood tests, but maybe that's a Maine thing, it's supposed to be random every few years, but FIL has had to do one every year for the last 3 years to keep his license current apparently and he doesn't even drive trucks any more, but handy if he does need to move a log truck out of the way.

paulpur Feb 6th 2012 2:14 pm

yeah it is quite expensive , in central FL ,where i live, there are a few courses that are about $6K or $7K , and thats not including the DOT medical or anything like that, some of them even want you to have done the written part of the test at the DMV to get your CDL learners permit before you start the course.
and to confirm as Scouse stated, you need to redo all tests, the only thing your UK licence will get you is that you wont need to do the drink and drug awareness course before you can do the tests , i did my car licence but havent gotten round to doing my CDL and wish it would have transferred over as well lol

Scouse Express Feb 6th 2012 2:58 pm

Originally Posted by Scouse Express (Post 9885482)
You will have to re-sit all of the Tests, once you have a US Social Security Number and Permission to work.

Jim (Coach Driver).

A DOT Physical is good for 2 years. You have to take it every year, if there is an issue with Borderline Blood Pressure. The levels here are 140/90......as opposed to 160/100 in the UK.

Jim.

tipex Feb 6th 2012 7:03 pm

Originally Posted by paulpur (Post 9886759)
yeah it is quite expensive , in central FL ,where i live, there are a few courses that are about $6K or $7K , and thats not including the DOT medical or anything like that, some of them even want you to have done the written part of the test at the DMV to get your CDL learners permit before you start the course.
and to confirm as Scouse stated, you need to redo all tests, the only thing your UK licence will get you is that you wont need to do the drink and drug awareness course before you can do the tests , i did my car licence but havent gotten round to doing my CDL and wish it would have transferred over as well lol

Wow thats some serious money. so about 8k all in and then you need to find a decent paying job.
is there other companies apart from schnieders that would train you up?

paulpur Feb 6th 2012 7:09 pm

quite a few of the big companies offer training , theres also the likes of C.R.England and Werners etc

tipex Feb 6th 2012 7:13 pm

Originally Posted by paulpur (Post 9887277)
quite a few of the big companies offer training , theres also the likes of C.R.England and Werners etc

do they advertise as train you up? wages & hours must be crap thou?

paulpur Feb 6th 2012 7:16 pm

i dont think they advertise as such, but their trucks do have advertisements on them , you can probably look at their websites and see if you can apply through there....no idea about the wages and how they compare to already trained drivers but reckon that they will be pretty comparable, however you will most likely need to sign on with them for a set amount of time or else face having to pay training costs

tipex Feb 6th 2012 7:18 pm

Originally Posted by paulpur (Post 9887290)
i dont think they advertise as such, but their trucks do have advertisements on them , you can probably look at their websites and see if you can apply through there....no idea about the wages and how they compare to already trained drivers but reckon that they will be pretty comparable, however you will most likely need to sign on with them for a set amount of time or else face having to pay training costs

thanks bud:thumbup: