Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

Truck Advice

Truck Advice

Old Oct 20th 2005, 7:19 pm

gruffbrown has a reputation beyond reputegruffbrown has a reputation beyond reputegruffbrown has a reputation beyond reputegruffbrown has a reputation beyond reputegruffbrown has a reputation beyond reputegruffbrown has a reputation beyond reputegruffbrown has a reputation beyond reputegruffbrown has a reputation beyond reputegruffbrown has a reputation beyond reputegruffbrown has a reputation beyond reputegruffbrown has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Truck Advice

Originally Posted by RoadWarriorFromLP
I'm not a truck guy, but Toyota reliability and durability are generally hard to beat.

Toyota's use of TQM principles (totaly quality management) is unmatched in the industry, i.e. things are engineered properly from the start, and quality is integrated throughout the build process. That differs from the German and American makers that use older Ford-inspired methods, i.e. bolt the stuff together first, then try to catch the mistakes after the fact.

People who I know who have had Chevys and Dodges have almost always complained about durability problems over time. In contrast, I've known people with the smaller Toyota trucks that can rack up 250k miles on them and still run gracefully. Fords are arguably better than the GM and Dodge/Chrysler products, but build quality won't likely be a match for a Toyota.

Have a look at Consumer Reports auto buyers guides, their owner reliability surveys are generally accurate.

(After years of owning Japanese cars, I recently went German. So far so good, I just hope that I don't come to regret it.)
Thanks, I'm on the case and the Toyota Tundra seems to come up smelling of roses every time and the price is pretty good compared to the rest as well.
Old Oct 20th 2005, 7:25 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

anotherlimey has a reputation beyond reputeanotherlimey has a reputation beyond reputeanotherlimey has a reputation beyond reputeanotherlimey has a reputation beyond reputeanotherlimey has a reputation beyond reputeanotherlimey has a reputation beyond reputeanotherlimey has a reputation beyond reputeanotherlimey has a reputation beyond reputeanotherlimey has a reputation beyond reputeanotherlimey has a reputation beyond reputeanotherlimey has a reputation beyond repute

Did you check out Edmunds.com?

There was this discussion going on: http://townhall-talk.edmunds.com/direct/view/.ef2459c/0
Old Oct 20th 2005, 7:35 pm
Account Closed

Angry White Pyjamas is a splendid one to beholdAngry White Pyjamas is a splendid one to beholdAngry White Pyjamas is a splendid one to beholdAngry White Pyjamas is a splendid one to beholdAngry White Pyjamas is a splendid one to beholdAngry White Pyjamas is a splendid one to beholdAngry White Pyjamas is a splendid one to beholdAngry White Pyjamas is a splendid one to beholdAngry White Pyjamas is a splendid one to beholdAngry White Pyjamas is a splendid one to beholdAngry White Pyjamas is a splendid one to behold

I drive a Chevy Avalanche C1500

Hardcore truckers say its not a truck but it is really.

5.2L V8. Mine pulls a 6000lb RV plus family plus associated crap at 70mph with no problems.

The truck bed is 5.5 feet normally but with the midgate down extends to 8.5 feet, comes with hardened rubberised bed cover as standard and with the hard tops standard too so its secure. I carry a 3500Watt Generator, power tools a large cool chest and a load of other crud (hunting, fishing, surfing, boating crud mainly) in the back.

And it rides like a luxury SUV with 6 seats. I love it.

(My neighbour refers to it as my Urban Assualt Vehicle)

Last edited by Angry White Pyjamas; Oct 20th 2005 at 7:40 pm.
Old Oct 20th 2005, 7:40 pm
Ray

Ray has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond repute

I do like like my late Ram with its 4 doors .. but you need a change ..
F150 maybe ..
or the Honda Ridgeline

Not seen one yet but the Mitsibushi Raider should be seen
http://www.mitsubishicars.com/06raider/
Old Oct 20th 2005, 7:41 pm
Account Closed

Angry White Pyjamas is a splendid one to beholdAngry White Pyjamas is a splendid one to beholdAngry White Pyjamas is a splendid one to beholdAngry White Pyjamas is a splendid one to beholdAngry White Pyjamas is a splendid one to beholdAngry White Pyjamas is a splendid one to beholdAngry White Pyjamas is a splendid one to beholdAngry White Pyjamas is a splendid one to beholdAngry White Pyjamas is a splendid one to beholdAngry White Pyjamas is a splendid one to beholdAngry White Pyjamas is a splendid one to behold

Originally Posted by Ray
I do like like my late Ram with its 4 doors .. but you need a change ..
F150 maybe ..
or the Honda Ridgeline

Not seen one yet but the Mitsibushi Raider should be seen
http://www.mitsubishicars.com/06raider/
Noooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo.

Its crap. Lightweight tinny sh1te that cant pull or carry diddly squat.
Old Oct 20th 2005, 7:42 pm
Mr. Grumpy

BritGuyTN has a reputation beyond reputeBritGuyTN has a reputation beyond reputeBritGuyTN has a reputation beyond reputeBritGuyTN has a reputation beyond reputeBritGuyTN has a reputation beyond reputeBritGuyTN has a reputation beyond reputeBritGuyTN has a reputation beyond reputeBritGuyTN has a reputation beyond reputeBritGuyTN has a reputation beyond reputeBritGuyTN has a reputation beyond reputeBritGuyTN has a reputation beyond repute

apparently the ridgeline is shit off road

I like the look of the nissan titan personally

v8, crew cab, full size, japanese....
Old Oct 20th 2005, 7:48 pm

gruffbrown has a reputation beyond reputegruffbrown has a reputation beyond reputegruffbrown has a reputation beyond reputegruffbrown has a reputation beyond reputegruffbrown has a reputation beyond reputegruffbrown has a reputation beyond reputegruffbrown has a reputation beyond reputegruffbrown has a reputation beyond reputegruffbrown has a reputation beyond reputegruffbrown has a reputation beyond reputegruffbrown has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Angry White Pyjamas

5.2L V8. Mine pulls a 6000lb RV plus family plus associated crap at 70mph with no problems.

The truck bed is 5.5 feet normally but with the midgate down extends to 8.5 feet, comes with hardened rubberised bed cover as standard and with the hard tops standard too so its secure. I carry a 3500Watt Generator, power tools a large cool chest and a load of other crud (hunting, fishing, surfing, boating crud mainly) in the back.

Have you got spinners on that Bra? Bling Bling
Old Oct 20th 2005, 7:54 pm
Account Closed

Originally Posted by gruffbrown
Have you got spinners on that Bra? Bling Bling
Nah the bling bling pimpmobile version is the escalade ..

Old Oct 20th 2005, 7:54 pm
Account Closed

Rushman is just really niceRushman is just really niceRushman is just really niceRushman is just really niceRushman is just really niceRushman is just really niceRushman is just really niceRushman is just really niceRushman is just really nice

That's NOT a truck!!!! That's an SUV with a cabriolet cargo area!!
Old Oct 20th 2005, 7:56 pm
Account Closed

Originally Posted by rushman
That's NOT a truck!!!! That's an SUV with a cabriolet cargo area!!
Yah but I can do 3000 miles round FLA pulling a 6000lb RV, family and dog in the cab, DVD playing, GPS on, in comfort and still carry generators, fuel, tools, guns, surfboards and sundry crap in the back. Try that in a F150 or a Toyota Tundra.

One other thing it is infact really a truck. its the only truck built on a real truck chassis...solid steel welded tube subframe.
Old Oct 20th 2005, 7:56 pm

Nah the bling bling pimpmobile version is the escalade ..

Ahhh the Philly Roller
Old Oct 20th 2005, 7:57 pm

Yah but I can do 3000 miles round FLA pulling a 6000lb RV, family and dog in the cab, DVD playing, GPS on, in comfort and still carry generators, fuel, tools, guns, surfboards and sundry crap in the back. Try that in a F150 or a Toyota Tundra.
I just have this image of you trying to use all of that at the same time
Old Oct 20th 2005, 7:58 pm
Account Closed

Originally Posted by gruffbrown
I just have this image of you trying to use all of that at the same time
Er no the DVD is for the kids in the back

Oh and its off road performance is excellent.
Old Oct 20th 2005, 8:01 pm
Account Closed

Rushman is just really niceRushman is just really niceRushman is just really niceRushman is just really niceRushman is just really niceRushman is just really niceRushman is just really niceRushman is just really niceRushman is just really nice

Yah but I can do 3000 miles round FLA pulling a 6000lb RV, family and dog in the cab, DVD playing, GPS on, in comfort and still carry generators, fuel, tools, guns, surfboards and sundry crap in the back.
Carry all that stuff only to get to your destination and the old lady says "I think I left the gas on"!!!!
Old Oct 20th 2005, 8:01 pm
Account Closed

Originally Posted by rushman
Carry all that stuff only to get to your destination and the old lady says "I think I left the gas on"!!!!
And I say..."tough sh1t...walk back and turn it off then".

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.