British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   USA (https://britishexpats.com/forum/usa-57/)
-   -   Troy, NY? (https://britishexpats.com/forum/usa-57/troy-ny-596517/)

Bob Mar 9th 2009 11:34 pm

Troy, NY?

So what's the skinny here then?

All I've found was a really old thread about Albany, which I guess isn't that far south of Troy and that it's bloomin' miles up north in the state and not near anything I know about, but it is a couple odd hours drive from where I am.

Nice city? Big/small? Places or things to do and see? Nearby towns worth looking at?

Just a general gist of the place, I've just loaded up the town info page and the city-data forum threads on the town but there wasn't much info that's current.

tonrob Mar 10th 2009 12:21 am

Re: Troy, NY?

Originally Posted by Bob (Post 7361708)

All I've found was a really old thread about Albany, which I guess isn't that far south of Troy and that it's bloomin' miles up north in the state and not near anything I know about, but it is a couple odd hours drive from where I am.

Nice city? Big/small? Places or things to do and see? Nearby towns worth looking at?

Just a general gist of the place, I've just loaded up the town info page and the city-data forum threads on the town but there wasn't much info that's current.

Not too far from Saratoga Springs? That seemed like a nice enough place when Mrs tonrob and I visited a year or two ago.

Albany seems a bit of a shit hole although there might be nice areas. Cracking brewpub, mind (Albany Pump House). We always stop off and stay the night in Albany on our way to Montreal.

julii2020 Mar 10th 2009 12:35 am

Troy is essentially an extension of Albany, just across the river. Rensselaer Polytechnic and Russell Sage college are the main draws. It has a small downtown but I don't remember it being particularly attractive. The Troy Music Hall is quite a pleasant place to see a show. In terms of vibe it's similar to Schenectady; a factory town that's lost its raison d'ĂȘtre.

If you have a choice, I'd pick Saratoga anyday, which is a lovely town, really historic and great for the ponies in August.

Rete Mar 10th 2009 1:36 am

But you are close to so much more than just Troy. You are in the foothills of the Adirondacks with Lake George only about 45 min drive north of you. On the way to Montreal we don't stop in Albany for the night but instead stop in Glens Falls, New York. Great skiing in that area. Lakes for fishing and of course, Canada only a few hours away. Ask Patrick if he is familiar with the area as he is north of Albany and Lake George.

SagenOnion Mar 10th 2009 1:45 am

Sounds more like what you are used to than some of the other places you have been investigating.

Added bonus....you should be able to hear Pat Hasler swearing from there without having to read it on BE :D

Bob Mar 10th 2009 2:07 am

Originally Posted by julii2020 (Post 7361883)

If you have a choice, I'd pick Saratoga anyday, which is a lovely town, really historic and great for the ponies in August.

What's the commute like? Looked a bit of a hike and not something that I'd fancy with the winters.

Bob Mar 10th 2009 2:09 am

Originally Posted by SagenOnion (Post 7362066)
Sounds more like what you are used to than some of the other places you have been investigating.

Added bonus....you should be able to hear Pat Hasler swearing from there without having to read it on BE :D

Yeah, that's what scares me, I want to get away from more snow and cold to be honest...and as much as I love hiking and lakes, I can't see myself living in it, nor doing the skiing thing, done that and well, rather not.

I like it near by but I'd rather a small/large town vibe with things to do...

Dan B Mar 10th 2009 11:56 am

meh. I drive through there on my way to VT from Rochester. There has been "construction" (by which I mean roadworks) on RT 7 for years. I can't think of anything off hand to do in Troy, but it is situated very nicely for good weekend get-a-ways. Montreal and 1000 Islands, Adirondacks, Lake This and That, Bear country, Vermont, loads of skiing places. :thumbsup:

Plus, you are only going to be a 20 minute drive from "The Man of Kent", which is an AWESOME pub on RT 7 in Hoosick. I always stop there.

Rete Mar 10th 2009 12:24 pm

Originally Posted by Bob (Post 7362098)
Yeah, that's what scares me, I want to get away from more snow and cold to be honest...and as much as I love hiking and lakes, I can't see myself living in it, nor doing the skiing thing, done that and well, rather not.

I like it near by but I'd rather a small/large town vibe with things to do...

Lots of small towns in that area. Saratoga is lovely but very very expensive. You would have to look for a town close to but set apart from "horse" country. There is Burnt Hills for instance.

You are not going to get away from the snow by working in Troy. It is in the snow belt of the north. While not as bad as Rochester or Buffalo, it still gets a fair amount of snow and ice in the winter and early spring which makes it excellent skiing country.

You don't have to live in Albany but it a very cultural city with museums, theater, pubs, restaurants, etc. Have friends that live in Colonie and another who lives in Schenetady. Would not recommend Schenetady on a bet.

hobbes79 Mar 10th 2009 2:03 pm

The area is nice, though I didn't think much of Albany. I spent most my time in Skaneateles. Great little town with amazing scenery. I wasn't interested in moving there so I didn't pay much attention, but I got the impression real estate was pretty expensive though.

Not sure about Troy itself.

Dan B Mar 10th 2009 2:12 pm

Originally Posted by hobbes79 (Post 7363616)
I spent most my time in Skaneateles.

DOUG'S!!! Best Fish'n'Chips I've had in the States!!!!

http://www.dougsfishfryskaneateles.com/

Rete Mar 10th 2009 2:24 pm

Bob, does it really matter what the town itself is like? You need employment at this point and any job offer should be accepted. Says grandma.

Bob Mar 10th 2009 6:00 pm

Originally Posted by Rete (Post 7363672)
Bob, does it really matter what the town itself is like? You need employment at this point and any job offer should be accepted. Says grandma.

There is that, but I'd rather move to a place that's going to be nice to live in if the job is going to be shovleware, plus it's also a one shop stop if things didn't work out we'd be buggered and with even less of a network of friends/family.

I'm just looking at the possibility of nearby towns though that might be more appealing.

Still have a couple other places to talk to as well, contract work, but might be enough to keep us happy for a bit.

Rete Mar 10th 2009 6:47 pm

I'm crossing my fingers for ya. I like that area but then I don't live there and only visit friends and take vacations there. Much different then actually living there.

meauxna Mar 10th 2009 6:56 pm

Originally Posted by Bob (Post 7362098)
but I'd rather a small/large town vibe with things to do...

And fancy shoes. :)