Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

Triple Residency Curiosity

Triple Residency Curiosity

Old Jan 7th 2022, 9:06 pm
Just Joined

HuffPuff is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Triple Residency Curiosity

I got into a dialogue today about dual and triple residency and out of curiosity we wondered:
If someone is a dual citizen UK/US - could they still become resident (not citizen) of a third country: let's say France for example - could someone potentially be a dual citizen of 2 countries as well as a resident of another?
Old Jan 7th 2022, 9:24 pm
SUPER MODERATOR

christmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Triple Residency Curiosity

Originally Posted by HuffPuff
I got into a dialogue today about dual and triple residency and out of curiosity we wondered:
If someone is a dual citizen UK/US - could they still become resident (not citizen) of a third country: let's say France for example - could someone potentially be a dual citizen of 2 countries as well as a resident of another?
Yep. There is no limit on the number of citizenships one can hold AFAIK. We have several members with 4 citizenships.

Old Jan 8th 2022, 4:51 am
Forum Regular

OldJuddian has a reputation beyond reputeOldJuddian has a reputation beyond reputeOldJuddian has a reputation beyond reputeOldJuddian has a reputation beyond reputeOldJuddian has a reputation beyond reputeOldJuddian has a reputation beyond reputeOldJuddian has a reputation beyond reputeOldJuddian has a reputation beyond reputeOldJuddian has a reputation beyond reputeOldJuddian has a reputation beyond reputeOldJuddian has a reputation beyond repute

Both my kids have 3 passports (citizenships), they just keep accumulating!
But their mum only has one, different countries, different rules.
Which leaves me in between at two.
Old Jan 8th 2022, 10:40 pm
Concierge

Rete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond repute

Having citizenship does not make you a resident. Living in that country legally for a certain period of time is what makes you a resident. So if you have UK/US citizenship and are living in France, you are not a resident of the US or the UK, but are a resident of France. You can only be a resident of one country per year.

It is your terminology that is causing you confusion.
Old Jan 9th 2022, 1:06 am
BE Commentator

S Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Rete
Having citizenship does not make you a resident. Living in that country legally for a certain period of time is what makes you a resident. So if you have UK/US citizenship and are living in France, you are not a resident of the US or the UK, but are a resident of France. You can only be a resident of one country per year.

I agree that citizenship (or nationality) is different from residence. However, as a general matter, the bolded statement is incorrect. In addition to “residence,” there is also the concept of “domicile.” One’s domicile is the one intended to be the principal residence - one’s “home” so to speak.

One can have multiple “residences” but only one “domicile.” By way of example, Donald Trump has residences at Trump Tower in Manhattan, Bedminster NJ and Mar A Lago FL. He changed his domicile from Manhattan to Florida.

It is possible to be a citizen of a country in which one has never lived.

Last edited by S Folinsky; Jan 9th 2022 at 1:15 am. Reason: correct typo
Old Jan 9th 2022, 2:11 am
Just Joined

HuffPuff is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by Rete

Actually my terminology was correct and still stands as my original question. If I perhaps re ask as follows it may be clearer as to our curiosity… could someone be British citizen by birth, Canadian citizen byyyy something, could they then go to the us and become a permanent resident… these are just examples but I thought perhaps the us perm res example would make it a little clearer also ignore the actual difficulties of obtaining us residency

Last edited by HuffPuff; Jan 9th 2022 at 2:13 am. Reason: Edit
Old Jan 9th 2022, 3:20 am
BE Commentator

S Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond repute

Actually my terminology was correct and still stands as my original question. If I perhaps re ask as follows it may be clearer as to our curiosity… could someone be British citizen by birth, Canadian citizen byyyy something, could they then go to the us and become a permanent resident… these are just examples but I thought perhaps the us perm res example would make it a little clearer also ignore the actual difficulties of obtaining us residency
In my experience, the situation you posit is not uncommon. It can be complicated by variations in the laws of expatriation.
Old Jan 9th 2022, 12:59 pm
tht
DE-UK-NZ-IE-US... the TYP

tht has a reputation beyond reputetht has a reputation beyond reputetht has a reputation beyond reputetht has a reputation beyond reputetht has a reputation beyond reputetht has a reputation beyond reputetht has a reputation beyond reputetht has a reputation beyond reputetht has a reputation beyond reputetht has a reputation beyond reputetht has a reputation beyond repute

I would say your terminology is not specific enough, but I can understand what you are asking. Also every country can have its own rules.

Resident can mean a lot of different things in different contexts, there is where you live, a tax status and also an immigration status. They are not mutually exclusive, for example an illegal alien could be resident and tax resident.

I can speak from my own experience. I am a German Citizen by Birth, a British Citizen by Registration, and US Citizen by Naturalization.

I have been “Resident” in 5 countries over the years, including 2 at the same time (and in the same year). I am able to get on a plane tomorrow (subject to CV19 restrictions) and become a resident in at least 29 countries in addition to the US between my Citizenships and other visas, my children were Citizens of 3 countries at birth and could do the same in 28 countries.

Last edited by tht; Jan 9th 2022 at 2:11 pm.