Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

Tried to get a car under VW's foreign lease - failed

Tried to get a car under VW's foreign lease - failed

Old Jun 12th 2017, 8:14 am
BE Enthusiast

Ecto17 has a reputation beyond reputeEcto17 has a reputation beyond reputeEcto17 has a reputation beyond reputeEcto17 has a reputation beyond reputeEcto17 has a reputation beyond reputeEcto17 has a reputation beyond reputeEcto17 has a reputation beyond reputeEcto17 has a reputation beyond reputeEcto17 has a reputation beyond reputeEcto17 has a reputation beyond reputeEcto17 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Tried to get a car under VW's foreign lease - failed

Ford also has an expat deal so worth trying there. May turn out the same way but at least you know you would have tried everything. Worse case, as suggested buy a 2nd hand car until you are a little more established in the US. We fly out Friday and organising the cars on arrival is one of my big concerns.
Old Jun 12th 2017, 12:42 pm

Pulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Ecto17
Ford also has an expat deal so worth trying there. May turn out the same way but at least you know you would have tried everything. Worse case, as suggested buy a 2nd hand car until you are a little more established in the US. We fly out Friday and organising the cars on arrival is one of my big concerns.
You could/should have done it ahead of departure with International Autosource. When you will have so many things to arrange on arrival it would be useful to get a car arranged ahead of your arrival.

If you are leaving on Friday time is very short, but with the wonders of email and scanned documents it might still be possible.
Old Jun 12th 2017, 1:11 pm
BE Enthusiast

Ecto17 has a reputation beyond reputeEcto17 has a reputation beyond reputeEcto17 has a reputation beyond reputeEcto17 has a reputation beyond reputeEcto17 has a reputation beyond reputeEcto17 has a reputation beyond reputeEcto17 has a reputation beyond reputeEcto17 has a reputation beyond reputeEcto17 has a reputation beyond reputeEcto17 has a reputation beyond reputeEcto17 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Pulaski
You could/should have done it ahead of departure with International Autosource. When you will have so many things to arrange on arrival it would be useful to get a car arranged ahead of your arrival.

If you are leaving on Friday time is very short, but with the wonders of email and scanned documents it might still be possible.
IA were a lot more expensive then the Ford expat deal and more importantly they have 120 day lead time on the cars we wanted. Really frustrating as they continued to say that would be no issue sourcing the cars and then suddenly 120 days!! Couldn't agree more, would have loved to have sorted at least one of them ahead of time.
Old Jun 12th 2017, 1:15 pm

Pulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond repute

IA were a lot more expensive then the Ford expat deal and more importantly they have 120 day lead time on the cars we wanted. Really frustrating as they continued to say that would be no issue sourcing the cars and then suddenly 120 days!! Couldn't agree more, would have loved to have sorted at least one of them ahead of time.
Yeah, we had to wait for ours too. They told us six weeks, but it came in about four weeks - direct from Detroit. It was worth the wait - a Mustang GT with manual transmission.
Old Jun 12th 2017, 1:29 pm
BE Enthusiast

Yeah, we had to wait for ours too. They told us six weeks, but it came in about four weeks - direct from Detroit. It was worth the wait - a Mustang GT with manual transmission.
Ow lovely!! Hubbys dream car! I bet that is fun. Escape and Explorer for us, so not quite as exciting! The potential of 120 days wait, is just not doable as the daily car rental prices in NJ are eye watering!
Old Jun 12th 2017, 1:34 pm
Forum Regular

catlover3 has a reputation beyond reputecatlover3 has a reputation beyond reputecatlover3 has a reputation beyond reputecatlover3 has a reputation beyond reputecatlover3 has a reputation beyond reputecatlover3 has a reputation beyond reputecatlover3 has a reputation beyond reputecatlover3 has a reputation beyond reputecatlover3 has a reputation beyond reputecatlover3 has a reputation beyond reputecatlover3 has a reputation beyond repute

Good luck! I'm sure everything will work out fine.
Old Jun 12th 2017, 1:36 pm
Forum Regular

catlover3 has a reputation beyond reputecatlover3 has a reputation beyond reputecatlover3 has a reputation beyond reputecatlover3 has a reputation beyond reputecatlover3 has a reputation beyond reputecatlover3 has a reputation beyond reputecatlover3 has a reputation beyond reputecatlover3 has a reputation beyond reputecatlover3 has a reputation beyond reputecatlover3 has a reputation beyond reputecatlover3 has a reputation beyond repute

IA have crazy prices. They wouldn't accept us anyway!
Old Jun 12th 2017, 1:42 pm
i hate cabbage

Jack8602 has a reputation beyond reputeJack8602 has a reputation beyond reputeJack8602 has a reputation beyond reputeJack8602 has a reputation beyond reputeJack8602 has a reputation beyond reputeJack8602 has a reputation beyond reputeJack8602 has a reputation beyond reputeJack8602 has a reputation beyond reputeJack8602 has a reputation beyond reputeJack8602 has a reputation beyond reputeJack8602 has a reputation beyond repute

Check out VW's pdf on it: https://www.vw.com/content/dam/vwcom...fessionals.pdf

I got my car through VW lease without issue the 2nd week i was here and having zero credit report - i couldn't even pull my credit from the agencies because i didn't exist.

I suspect the 2nd part is what's causing you problems if you don't have a US employer.

What to bring to the Dealership.
† United States Social Security� card
† Letter from employer stating position, hire date, income and length of stay in the U.S.
† Documentation to verify your address and phone� number
† Copy of U.S. visa with expiration date
† Contact information from two U.S. residents who can serve as personal references

1 Applicants with Types A, E, G & NATO visas are not
eligible for this program.

2 An exception can be made if the applicant holds a TN-1 permit (free trade professional), only for Canadian citizens who live and work in the United States for up to one year at a time and have a renewable status for additional periods of one year each, with no ceiling on the total years a person with TN status can work in the United States.
Old Jun 12th 2017, 1:46 pm
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by Jack8602
Check out VW's pdf on it: https://www.vw.com/content/dam/vwcom...fessionals.pdf

I got my car through VW lease without issue the 2nd week i was here and having zero credit report - i couldn't even pull my credit from the agencies because i didn't exist.

I suspect the 2nd part is what's causing you problems if you don't have a US employer.
Yes, we took all the documentation and even though they verified the income (LOL they even called my University in Manchester!!), they still weren't giving us a lease without a cosigner!
Old Jun 12th 2017, 6:21 pm
Austin. TX.

petitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond repute

Ow lovely!! Hubbys dream car! I bet that is fun. Escape and Explorer for us, so not quite as exciting! The potential of 120 days wait, is just not doable as the daily car rental prices in NJ are eye watering!
they paid for a rental car for a friend with a long wait.
Old Jun 12th 2017, 6:31 pm
BE Enthusiast

Originally Posted by petitefrancaise
They aren't being that generous now sadly!
Old Jun 13th 2017, 1:37 am
Forum Regular

jellybean_17 has a reputation beyond reputejellybean_17 has a reputation beyond reputejellybean_17 has a reputation beyond reputejellybean_17 has a reputation beyond reputejellybean_17 has a reputation beyond reputejellybean_17 has a reputation beyond reputejellybean_17 has a reputation beyond reputejellybean_17 has a reputation beyond reputejellybean_17 has a reputation beyond reputejellybean_17 has a reputation beyond reputejellybean_17 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by petitefrancaise
They have paid our rental too (about 5 or so weeks)
Old Jun 13th 2017, 11:57 am
BE Enthusiast

Originally Posted by jellybean_17
They have paid our rental too (about 5 or so weeks)
Really, they offered to pay for our rental for one month but we had to sign up within a day or so and that was at the beginning of last month and then withdrew that feature. Having a little look at mazada as well now, anyone seen or driven their 7 seater?
Old Jun 13th 2017, 1:19 pm

..., anyone seen or driven their 7 seater?
Like many "seven seaters" now sold in the US, they're no good for seven adults, and no good for seven people of any size if you have luggage. Think of them as a five seater with occasional seats for another two children. Even the second row seats would be cramped if you try to fit in three adults.
Old Jun 13th 2017, 1:37 pm
BE Enthusiast

Like many "seven seaters" now sold in the US, they're no good for seven adults, and no good for seven people of any size if you have luggage. Think of them as a five seater with occasional seats for another two children. Even the second row seats would be cramped if you try to fit in three adults.
That is fine for us as only a family of 3 but have lots of visitors booked in already (we aren't even there ourselves yet!) and a 7 seater would be really helpful especially when driving into the city. How do you think the mazada compares to the Explorer?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.