Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

Tried to get a car under VW's foreign lease - failed

Tried to get a car under VW's foreign lease - failed

Old Jun 13th 2017, 1:44 pm

Pulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Tried to get a car under VW's foreign lease - failed

Originally Posted by Ecto17
..... How do you think the mazada compares to the Explorer?
Smaller, I would say. I would take the Explorer every time in a straight choice.
Old Jun 13th 2017, 1:49 pm
BE Enthusiast

Ecto17 has a reputation beyond reputeEcto17 has a reputation beyond reputeEcto17 has a reputation beyond reputeEcto17 has a reputation beyond reputeEcto17 has a reputation beyond reputeEcto17 has a reputation beyond reputeEcto17 has a reputation beyond reputeEcto17 has a reputation beyond reputeEcto17 has a reputation beyond reputeEcto17 has a reputation beyond reputeEcto17 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Pulaski
Smaller, I would say. I would take the Explorer every time in a straight choice.
Thanks
Old Jun 13th 2017, 2:03 pm

Pulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond repute

Thanks
You're welcome.

And to be clear, the Explorer is by no means an unmanageable tank, it is a fairly average vehicle on American roads, so you won't have trouble taking it "into the city" or finding a parking space for it.
Old Jun 13th 2017, 2:08 pm
i hate cabbage

Jack8602 has a reputation beyond reputeJack8602 has a reputation beyond reputeJack8602 has a reputation beyond reputeJack8602 has a reputation beyond reputeJack8602 has a reputation beyond reputeJack8602 has a reputation beyond reputeJack8602 has a reputation beyond reputeJack8602 has a reputation beyond reputeJack8602 has a reputation beyond reputeJack8602 has a reputation beyond reputeJack8602 has a reputation beyond repute

That is fine for us as only a family of 3 but have lots of visitors booked in already (we aren't even there ourselves yet!) and a 7 seater would be really helpful especially when driving into the city. How do you think the mazada compares to the Explorer?
I make all my visitors drive if they exceed my car's space - I'm not paying out extra for 48 weeks of the year for the 4 weeks i have visitors
Old Jun 13th 2017, 6:27 pm
Austin. TX.

petitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Jack8602
I make all my visitors drive if they exceed my car's space - I'm not paying out extra for 48 weeks of the year for the 4 weeks i have visitors
Agreed.
The explorer seats would struggle to get 3 adults in the second row too. I dismissed it as a prospective choice with my 3 teens.
Since I'm currently sitting in my brilliant local independent garage, I just asked the guys here what they would recommend and they said Honda pilot
Old Jun 13th 2017, 8:54 pm
BE Enthusiast

Ecto17 has a reputation beyond reputeEcto17 has a reputation beyond reputeEcto17 has a reputation beyond reputeEcto17 has a reputation beyond reputeEcto17 has a reputation beyond reputeEcto17 has a reputation beyond reputeEcto17 has a reputation beyond reputeEcto17 has a reputation beyond reputeEcto17 has a reputation beyond reputeEcto17 has a reputation beyond reputeEcto17 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by petitefrancaise
Agreed.
The explorer seats would struggle to get 3 adults in the second row too. I dismissed it as a prospective choice with my 3 teens.
Since I'm currently sitting in my brilliant local independent garage, I just asked the guys here what they would recommend and they said Honda pilot
Most visitors we have will have small kids so hopefully the temporary 7 seater will suit our needs and hubby wants a bigger car in the US. Will have a look at the pilot.
On a separate note looks like IA have sourced the Escape for us without the 120 day lead time so will be calling them first thing. I am sure they must read this forum as hadn't heard a thing from them in weeks and out of the blue, today they contacted us and said they could get one! Good news.
Old Oct 29th 2017, 2:48 pm
Just Joined

BarneyJing is an unknown quantity at this point

Ford also has an expat deal so worth trying there. May turn out the same way but at least you know you would have tried everything. Worse case, as suggested buy a 2nd hand car until you are a little more established in the US. We fly out Friday and organising the cars on arrival is one of my big concerns.
Hi - where did you find the Ford expat deal? I can't find any details about it online

Did you buy your cars direct through this scheme or go with IAS in the end?

Thanks
Old Oct 29th 2017, 3:44 pm

Originally Posted by petitefrancaise
My local ford dealer will immediately point you to IAS if you walk in and ask about expat/foreign business schemes. Not sure if this is everywhere and I have to say that they are a particular sleazy dealership
Originally Posted by BarneyJing
Hi - where did you find the Ford expat deal? I can't find any details about it online. ....
It appears to be a joint venture or referral arrangement that Ford has with International Autosource.

Last edited by Pulaski; Oct 29th 2017 at 3:58 pm.
Old Oct 30th 2017, 9:25 pm
BE Enthusiast

Originally Posted by BarneyJing
Hi - where did you find the Ford expat deal? I can't find any details about it online

Did you buy your cars direct through this scheme or go with IAS in the end?

Thanks
We contacted some local Ford dealers directly and got quotes but ended up going with IAS in the end as they matched the deal that Ford was offering. Really happy with their service. You do need to negotiate but that isn't unreasonable of them. Really positive experience for us.