Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

Tricky Dual Nationality Question

Tricky Dual Nationality Question

Old Feb 22nd 2011, 7:00 pm
  #31  
 
lansbury's Avatar
 
Joined: Apr 2005
Location: Milwaukie, Oregon
Posts: 9,492
lansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Tricky Dual Nationality Question

Originally Posted by crg View Post

If he just naturalized they may have thought he was still an LPR. An LPR will often pay a fee of $585 (it used to be $545) for not having their green card when trying to enter the US.

It's also not a fine. It's a fee for a Form I-193 waiver of documents application.

LPRs and US citizens are apples and oranges.
It wasn't that they thought he was a LPR as he took his naturalization certificate with him. So it wasn't a fee they referenced. Were they right it what they could have done if they wanted to, they obviously thought so, as they are the one at the check point I guess they hold the cards.
lansbury is offline  
Old Feb 22nd 2011, 7:03 pm
  #32  
 
lansbury's Avatar
 
Joined: Apr 2005
Location: Milwaukie, Oregon
Posts: 9,492
lansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Tricky Dual Nationality Question

Originally Posted by candy wy. View Post
Thanks memory failed me on the amount of the possible fine, it was less then I remembered.
lansbury is offline  
Old Feb 22nd 2011, 7:18 pm
  #33  
crg
American Expat
 
Joined: Jan 2004
Posts: 7,598
crg has a reputation beyond reputecrg has a reputation beyond reputecrg has a reputation beyond reputecrg has a reputation beyond reputecrg has a reputation beyond reputecrg has a reputation beyond reputecrg has a reputation beyond reputecrg has a reputation beyond reputecrg has a reputation beyond reputecrg has a reputation beyond reputecrg has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Tricky Dual Nationality Question

Originally Posted by lansbury View Post
It wasn't that they thought he was a LPR as he took his naturalization certificate with him. So it wasn't a fee they referenced. Were they right it what they could have done if they wanted to, they obviously thought so, as they are the one at the check point I guess they hold the cards.
If they were sure he was a USC, they were just busting his chops. Even when the fee used to be assessed well over a decade ago it was supposedly in the neighborhood of $100 or something. The state department collected it.
crg is offline  
Old Feb 22nd 2011, 7:23 pm
  #34  
Country Member
 
g1ant's Avatar
 
Joined: May 2003
Location: Moved from Georgetown to Round Rock, Texas. 15 miles closer to civilization.
Posts: 936
g1ant has a reputation beyond reputeg1ant has a reputation beyond reputeg1ant has a reputation beyond reputeg1ant has a reputation beyond reputeg1ant has a reputation beyond reputeg1ant has a reputation beyond reputeg1ant has a reputation beyond reputeg1ant has a reputation beyond reputeg1ant has a reputation beyond reputeg1ant has a reputation beyond reputeg1ant has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Tricky Dual Nationality Question

Originally Posted by lansbury View Post
Thanks memory failed me on the amount of the possible fine, it was less then I remembered.
A figure plucked out of the air IMHO.
g1ant is offline  
Old Feb 23rd 2011, 12:10 am
  #35  
Forum Regular
 
Joined: Oct 2005
Posts: 134
deng890 is a name known to alldeng890 is a name known to alldeng890 is a name known to alldeng890 is a name known to alldeng890 is a name known to alldeng890 is a name known to alldeng890 is a name known to alldeng890 is a name known to alldeng890 is a name known to alldeng890 is a name known to alldeng890 is a name known to all
Default Re: Tricky Dual Nationality Question

To answer the original question and reiterate what other posters have said....the airlines won't care if your son leaves on a UK passport. Yes, he must technically use a US passport to leave, but as others have stated there is no passport exit-control. I am dual citizen and have used passports interchangeably when departing from US airports. Your son would absolutely need a US passport to re-enter the US (it is true they can't deny admission to a US citizen, but just don't go there period).

If I were you I'd just skip the expensive expedited processing and just deal with it through the US Embassy in the UK after you've settled down with all the stressful moving issues. No need to add an expedited passport application to all the things you already have to worry about 1 week before an international move.
deng890 is offline  
Old Feb 23rd 2011, 12:39 am
  #36  
Just Joined
Thread Starter
 
Joined: Feb 2011
Posts: 4
ayrton04 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Tricky Dual Nationality Question

Originally Posted by deng890 View Post
To answer the original question and reiterate what other posters have said....the airlines won't care if your son leaves on a UK passport. Yes, he must technically use a US passport to leave, but as others have stated there is no passport exit-control. I am dual citizen and have used passports interchangeably when departing from US airports. Your son would absolutely need a US passport to re-enter the US (it is true they can't deny admission to a US citizen, but just don't go there period).

If I were you I'd just skip the expensive expedited processing and just deal with it through the US Embassy in the UK after you've settled down with all the stressful moving issues. No need to add an expedited passport application to all the things you already have to worry about 1 week before an international move.
Thanks, deng, and thank you all VERY much for your input. What a hot-button topic! Both my son and I will leave on our UK passports. We will initiate his US passport application before we leave and have it sent to his grandparents' house, and then mailed to us when it arrives.

You've all made me breathe a little easier. Thanks again!
ayrton04 is offline  

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Copyright © 2018 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.