Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

Tricky Dual Nationality Question

Tricky Dual Nationality Question

Old Feb 22nd 2011, 4:56 pm

lansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Tricky Dual Nationality Question

Originally Posted by g1ant
Entering the US - by law you have to use you US passport, but if you don't have one and can prove citizenship, then they have to let you in, but they will red-card you and you might sit in secondary for a while. Been there, done that - not fun.
and the fine for doing so, if they chose to levy it, is $675. As our friend on here who went to Canada on his UK passport found out on his return.
Old Feb 22nd 2011, 4:58 pm
Country Member

Location: Moved from Georgetown to Round Rock, Texas. 15 miles closer to civilization.
g1ant has a reputation beyond reputeg1ant has a reputation beyond reputeg1ant has a reputation beyond reputeg1ant has a reputation beyond reputeg1ant has a reputation beyond reputeg1ant has a reputation beyond reputeg1ant has a reputation beyond reputeg1ant has a reputation beyond reputeg1ant has a reputation beyond reputeg1ant has a reputation beyond reputeg1ant has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by lansbury
and the fine for doing so, if they chose to levy it, is $675. As our friend on here who went to Canada on his UK passport found out on his return.
I'm sure I read somewhere that the fine was $0.00. But I'll take your word for it.
Old Feb 22nd 2011, 5:02 pm
Forum Regular

Rougesvp is an unknown quantity at this point

I'm not going to repeat myself "meauxna"; one cannot keep up on two passports and there is NO requirement to.

As g1ant states also and as I have; the U.S. WILL NOT refuse entry to one of it's Citizens. The onus to prove your residency rests with you, whether it's an expired passport or DL/ID Card...

The initial question was leaving - you can leave on any passport.
Old Feb 22nd 2011, 5:08 pm
crg
American Expat

crg has a reputation beyond reputecrg has a reputation beyond reputecrg has a reputation beyond reputecrg has a reputation beyond reputecrg has a reputation beyond reputecrg has a reputation beyond reputecrg has a reputation beyond reputecrg has a reputation beyond reputecrg has a reputation beyond reputecrg has a reputation beyond reputecrg has a reputation beyond repute

I'm calling Shennanigans on you for this one.

Was this 20 years ago? Nobody has been charged such a fee by the US government for not having their US passport in at least the last 10 years. It may still be on the books, but nobody is getting fined.

Last edited by crg; Feb 22nd 2011 at 5:18 pm.
Old Feb 22nd 2011, 5:15 pm
Forum Regular

My kids make a habit of using expired US passports to re-enter... (the UK ones require less visas to travel abroad).

They've NEVER been fined and we NEVER have issues re-entering the U.S.
Old Feb 22nd 2011, 5:17 pm

lansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by crg
I'm calling Shennanigans on you for this one.

Was this 20 years ago? Nobody has been charged such a fee in at least the last 10 years.
Call it what you like. It was last year and posted on here and he was told what the fine was and he posted it on here. I didn't say he was charged it I did say the fine was $675 if the CBP officer chose to levy it. He was told he would get fined if he did it again.

If that is incorrect then the guy who asked about it, he got his citizenship a day or two before his business trip to Canada, and posted here about using his UK passport for the trip was making it up. I'm not 100% certain it was $675 but I'm sure it was close to it, if that isn't the sum he mentioned.
Old Feb 22nd 2011, 5:20 pm
Account Closed

ian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Rougesvp
While I agree there is no exit control in the US and so the consequences don't really exist... the fact of the matter is, US law specifically states that a USC must enter and exit the US using a US passport. Is it a practical law with respect to leaving? No... but the law still exists.

Ian
Old Feb 22nd 2011, 5:22 pm
crg
American Expat

crg has a reputation beyond reputecrg has a reputation beyond reputecrg has a reputation beyond reputecrg has a reputation beyond reputecrg has a reputation beyond reputecrg has a reputation beyond reputecrg has a reputation beyond reputecrg has a reputation beyond reputecrg has a reputation beyond reputecrg has a reputation beyond reputecrg has a reputation beyond repute

Call it what you like. It was last year and posted on here and he was told what the fine was and he posted it on here. I didn't say he was charged it I did say the fine was $675 if the CBP officer chose to levy it. He was told he would get fined if he did it again.

If that is incorrect then the guy who asked about it, he got his citizenship a day or two before his business trip to Canada, and posted here about using his UK passport for the trip was making it up. I'm not 100% certain it was $675 but I'm sure it was close to it, if that isn't the sum he mentioned.
I'm calling Shennanigans on the threat too.

It wouldn't be the first time they gave garbage information to a traveler. He didn't find out about a fine that existed. He found out that border guards make empty threats about fines that don't happen (in this case).

If he just naturalized they may have thought he was still an LPR. An LPR will often pay a fee of $585 (it used to be $545) for not having their green card when trying to enter the US.

It's also not a fine. It's a fee for a Form I-193 waiver of documents application.

LPRs and US citizens are apples and oranges.

Last edited by crg; Feb 22nd 2011 at 5:25 pm.
Old Feb 22nd 2011, 5:25 pm
Country Member

Location: Moved from Georgetown to Round Rock, Texas. 15 miles closer to civilization.
g1ant has a reputation beyond reputeg1ant has a reputation beyond reputeg1ant has a reputation beyond reputeg1ant has a reputation beyond reputeg1ant has a reputation beyond reputeg1ant has a reputation beyond reputeg1ant has a reputation beyond reputeg1ant has a reputation beyond reputeg1ant has a reputation beyond reputeg1ant has a reputation beyond reputeg1ant has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by ian-mstm
While I agree there is no exit control in the US and so the consequences don't really exist... the fact of the matter is, US law specifically states that a USC must enter and exit the US using a US passport. Is it a practical law with respect to leaving? No... but the law still exists.

Ian
agreed.. I was just going on personal experience. Airlines in the US don't seem to care what you show them. Whereas on the return, the check-in staff in the UK are really picky. And there have been documented cases where they have refused travel when they should not have done. So keep your documents in order or you might not even get as far as US immigration.
Old Feb 22nd 2011, 5:27 pm
Account Closed

ian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond repute

one cannot keep up on two passports and there is NO requirement to.
Can you please explain what you mean by this? I am a citizen in 3 countries and have 3 valid passports. I "keep up" on all of them.

Ian
Old Feb 22nd 2011, 5:27 pm

meauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond repute

I'm not going to repeat myself "meauxna"; one cannot keep up on two passports and there is NO requirement to.

As g1ant states also and as I have; the U.S. WILL NOT refuse entry to one of it's Citizens. The onus to prove your residency rests with you, whether it's an expired passport or DL/ID Card...

I disagree.

TITLE 8 > CHAPTER 12 > SUBCHAPTER II > Part II > § 1185
§ 1185. Travel control of citizens and aliens

(b) Citizens
Except as otherwise provided by the President and subject to such limitations and exceptions as the President may authorize and prescribe, it shall be unlawful for any citizen of the United States to depart from or enter, or attempt to depart from or enter, the United States unless he bears a valid United States passport.

Looks like you need to be aware of this one as well
(a) Restrictions and prohibitions
Unless otherwise ordered by the President, it shall be unlawful—
(3) for any person knowingly to make any false statement in an application for permission to depart from or enter the United States with intent to induce or secure the granting of such permission either for himself or for another;
Old Feb 22nd 2011, 5:32 pm
Forum Regular

Worthy of note....

and now back to reality and practicality.....
Old Feb 22nd 2011, 6:00 pm
staying around

candy wy. has a reputation beyond reputecandy wy. has a reputation beyond reputecandy wy. has a reputation beyond reputecandy wy. has a reputation beyond reputecandy wy. has a reputation beyond reputecandy wy. has a reputation beyond reputecandy wy. has a reputation beyond reputecandy wy. has a reputation beyond reputecandy wy. has a reputation beyond reputecandy wy. has a reputation beyond reputecandy wy. has a reputation beyond repute

Here is the post

http://britishexpats.com/forum/showp...&postcount=125
Old Feb 22nd 2011, 6:01 pm
Deep in the woods of CT

Nutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond repute

Ayrton - the key is to keep the "dual" knowledge to yourself... DO NOT share this with Passport Control on either side of the pond and you'll be fine.
There is nothing to "keep to oneself" -- my US passport has been scanned upon entry to the UK when I used it as that line was quicker, and the passport control person joked about whether I had let my UK passport lapse. They may not know if you have kept up your original passport (or perhaps they do?!), but they certainly know your origins!
Old Feb 22nd 2011, 6:07 pm
crg
American Expat

Originally Posted by candy wy.
Thanks for digging up the link. It sounds like someone was just trying to put a scare into him. The $545 is for the waiver of a foreign passport only and it's now $585.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.