Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

Tricky Dual Nationality Question

Tricky Dual Nationality Question

Old Feb 22nd 2011, 7:00 pm

lansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Tricky Dual Nationality Question

Originally Posted by crg

If he just naturalized they may have thought he was still an LPR. An LPR will often pay a fee of $585 (it used to be $545) for not having their green card when trying to enter the US.

It's also not a fine. It's a fee for a Form I-193 waiver of documents application.

LPRs and US citizens are apples and oranges.
It wasn't that they thought he was a LPR as he took his naturalization certificate with him. So it wasn't a fee they referenced. Were they right it what they could have done if they wanted to, they obviously thought so, as they are the one at the check point I guess they hold the cards.
Old Feb 22nd 2011, 7:03 pm

lansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by candy wy.
Thanks memory failed me on the amount of the possible fine, it was less then I remembered.
Old Feb 22nd 2011, 7:18 pm
crg
American Expat

crg has a reputation beyond reputecrg has a reputation beyond reputecrg has a reputation beyond reputecrg has a reputation beyond reputecrg has a reputation beyond reputecrg has a reputation beyond reputecrg has a reputation beyond reputecrg has a reputation beyond reputecrg has a reputation beyond reputecrg has a reputation beyond reputecrg has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by lansbury
It wasn't that they thought he was a LPR as he took his naturalization certificate with him. So it wasn't a fee they referenced. Were they right it what they could have done if they wanted to, they obviously thought so, as they are the one at the check point I guess they hold the cards.
If they were sure he was a USC, they were just busting his chops. Even when the fee used to be assessed well over a decade ago it was supposedly in the neighborhood of $100 or something. The state department collected it.
Old Feb 22nd 2011, 7:23 pm
Country Member

Location: Moved from Georgetown to Round Rock, Texas. 15 miles closer to civilization.
g1ant has a reputation beyond reputeg1ant has a reputation beyond reputeg1ant has a reputation beyond reputeg1ant has a reputation beyond reputeg1ant has a reputation beyond reputeg1ant has a reputation beyond reputeg1ant has a reputation beyond reputeg1ant has a reputation beyond reputeg1ant has a reputation beyond reputeg1ant has a reputation beyond reputeg1ant has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by lansbury
Thanks memory failed me on the amount of the possible fine, it was less then I remembered.
A figure plucked out of the air IMHO.
Old Feb 23rd 2011, 12:10 am
Forum Regular

deng890 is a name known to alldeng890 is a name known to alldeng890 is a name known to alldeng890 is a name known to alldeng890 is a name known to alldeng890 is a name known to alldeng890 is a name known to alldeng890 is a name known to alldeng890 is a name known to alldeng890 is a name known to alldeng890 is a name known to all

To answer the original question and reiterate what other posters have said....the airlines won't care if your son leaves on a UK passport. Yes, he must technically use a US passport to leave, but as others have stated there is no passport exit-control. I am dual citizen and have used passports interchangeably when departing from US airports. Your son would absolutely need a US passport to re-enter the US (it is true they can't deny admission to a US citizen, but just don't go there period).

If I were you I'd just skip the expensive expedited processing and just deal with it through the US Embassy in the UK after you've settled down with all the stressful moving issues. No need to add an expedited passport application to all the things you already have to worry about 1 week before an international move.
Old Feb 23rd 2011, 12:39 am
Just Joined

ayrton04 is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by deng890
To answer the original question and reiterate what other posters have said....the airlines won't care if your son leaves on a UK passport. Yes, he must technically use a US passport to leave, but as others have stated there is no passport exit-control. I am dual citizen and have used passports interchangeably when departing from US airports. Your son would absolutely need a US passport to re-enter the US (it is true they can't deny admission to a US citizen, but just don't go there period).

If I were you I'd just skip the expensive expedited processing and just deal with it through the US Embassy in the UK after you've settled down with all the stressful moving issues. No need to add an expedited passport application to all the things you already have to worry about 1 week before an international move.
Thanks, deng, and thank you all VERY much for your input. What a hot-button topic! Both my son and I will leave on our UK passports. We will initiate his US passport application before we leave and have it sent to his grandparents' house, and then mailed to us when it arrives.

You've all made me breathe a little easier. Thanks again!