Trebor1949

Old Oct 8th 2007, 12:55 pm
Just Joined

trebor1949 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Trebor1949

Hi,
I'm new to this so sorry if I sound a bit dumb. I was considering buying a property in Florida and would like to know what restrictions there are with regard to length of stay in the USA. (for instance is 90 days the maximum length of stay ay any one time?). I would be looking to visit during the winter months and possibly rent the house during the summer. Also any information on how I should go about doing this would be helpful.
Many thanks
Old Oct 8th 2007, 1:02 pm
BE Forum Addict

Dan725 has a reputation beyond reputeDan725 has a reputation beyond reputeDan725 has a reputation beyond reputeDan725 has a reputation beyond reputeDan725 has a reputation beyond reputeDan725 has a reputation beyond reputeDan725 has a reputation beyond reputeDan725 has a reputation beyond reputeDan725 has a reputation beyond reputeDan725 has a reputation beyond reputeDan725 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Trebor1949

Rule of thumb sayeth 90 days in, 90 days out (on Visa Waiver). There is a visa that lets you stay for 6 months as a tourist. I think it's a B2? If you do a search on this forum, you'll find it; this one has been done many times before.
Old Oct 8th 2007, 1:51 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Dogbyte has a reputation beyond reputeDogbyte has a reputation beyond reputeDogbyte has a reputation beyond reputeDogbyte has a reputation beyond reputeDogbyte has a reputation beyond reputeDogbyte has a reputation beyond reputeDogbyte has a reputation beyond reputeDogbyte has a reputation beyond reputeDogbyte has a reputation beyond reputeDogbyte has a reputation beyond reputeDogbyte has a reputation beyond repute

Hello fellow golfer,Welcome to BE, any queries you have go to the search section.Most things about Florida are on there.Dont be surprised to get a bit of stick about this subject because so many Brits want to do the same and ask stupid questions and dont research what they ask first.
Old Oct 8th 2007, 1:59 pm
Septicity

fatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by trebor1949 View Post
Hi,
I'm new to this so sorry if I sound a bit dumb. I was considering buying a property in Florida and would like to know what restrictions there are with regard to length of stay in the USA. (for instance is 90 days the maximum length of stay ay any one time?). I would be looking to visit during the winter months and possibly rent the house during the summer. Also any information on how I should go about doing this would be helpful.
Many thanks
Assuming you were born in 1949 and coming up to or already retired, you might be a suitable candidate for a B-2 snowbird visa allowing you up to 180 days of winter sunshine. However, application for this visa should never be taken lightly.

Should be some good bargains out there at the moment with the collapsed housing market. Make sure you understand fully how much property tax you're in for before committing. Foreigners are raped by the state of Florida in this regard.
Old Oct 8th 2007, 2:55 pm
Just Joined

trebor1949 is an unknown quantity at this point

Many thanks for your reply's. I think the Snowbird option sounds like what I need. A lot more research needed I think.
Old Oct 8th 2007, 4:11 pm
Ray

Ray has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond repute

If you are going to buy a house just for yourself... no problem
If you need the income from renting then be aware their is a glut of rental properties and many are being foreclosed .. especially in Orlando...

My suggestion .. rent something for the first year ..
it give you a chance to find the area that suits you best ..
and check out ALL the hidden costs associated with
house ownership here ...
Old Oct 8th 2007, 5:28 pm
Bob
BE Site Lead

Bob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Ray View Post
If you are going to buy a house just for yourself... no problem
If you need the income from renting then be aware their is a glut of rental properties and many are being foreclosed .. especially in Orlando...

My suggestion .. rent something for the first year ..
it give you a chance to find the area that suits you best ..
and check out ALL the hidden costs associated with
house ownership here ...
insurance being one of the big mares....
Old Oct 8th 2007, 5:29 pm
Ray

Ray has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Bob View Post
insurance being one of the big mares....
Not everywhere ..Near water is bad ... and certin counties that have sink holes is ...
Old Oct 8th 2007, 5:31 pm
Septicity

fatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by trebor1949 View Post
Many thanks for your reply's. I think the Snowbird option sounds like what I need. A lot more research needed I think.
I've seen some strange myths going around the web that you need to buy a property to apply for a "snowbird" B2. Nothing could be further from the truth. Just in case you bump in to them...
Old Oct 8th 2007, 5:34 pm
Ray

Originally Posted by fatbrit View Post
I've seen some strange myths going around the web that you need to buy a property to apply for a "snowbird" B2. Nothing could be further from the truth. Just in case you bump in to them...
Very true ...

The best reason for a B-2 is that you are just retired
and treating yourself to a 4/6 month vacation ...
as retirees often do ...