Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

Travelling - where to buy my booze

Travelling - where to buy my booze

Old Apr 20th 2011, 2:09 pm
Concierge

mikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Travelling - where to buy my booze

Originally Posted by TimberHut
This is a bizarre thread!

Seriously - someone wants to buy 30 bottles of booze (I'm assuming full-size bottles of spirits here) for an event in the USA & people are suggesting they buy it in the UK and bring it with them????

Surely the question really should be...

-- I'm going to be in x-town in the USA and need to buy a load of booze - anyone got a recommendation for the best place to buy it from? (or because we may not actually drink it all then does anyone know a place that sells booze on a sale-or-return policy?)

That said - I love the idea of seeing someone trying to bring over 30 bottles of Vodka in a suitcase because someone on some forum has calculated that they maybe able to save $2.89 in total...

The OP is a bit uncertain, doesn't say whether he wants to take the booze to USA, or buy some there to bring back for an event in the UK, either way it makes no sense as security checks on his bags would detect it, and all those bottles would set alarm bells ringing.
Old Apr 20th 2011, 2:35 pm
BE Enthusiast

TimberHut has much to be proud ofTimberHut has much to be proud ofTimberHut has much to be proud ofTimberHut has much to be proud ofTimberHut has much to be proud ofTimberHut has much to be proud ofTimberHut has much to be proud ofTimberHut has much to be proud ofTimberHut has much to be proud ofTimberHut has much to be proud ofTimberHut has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by mikelincs
The OP is a bit uncertain, doesn't say whether he wants to take the booze to USA, or buy some there to bring back for an event in the UK, either way it makes no sense as security checks on his bags would detect it, and all those bottles would set alarm bells ringing.
Reading it again I definitely got the question round the wrong way and all ski-wiff. They quite clearly mean that they wanna buy cheaper USA booze and take it back to the UK.

A fair enough question - but it ain't gonna happen easily. More hassle than it's worth.

As an aside... The last time I flew back to England I didn't think the duty-free prices were that good at all. I always remember it seeming really cheap but this time it didn't seem much different to what I'd pay in a local store.

This ain't a bad thing but it did feel strange not coming home with a litre of some strange Scottish Whisky or some 75% ABV Rum.
Old Apr 20th 2011, 2:37 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Duncan Roberts has a reputation beyond reputeDuncan Roberts has a reputation beyond reputeDuncan Roberts has a reputation beyond reputeDuncan Roberts has a reputation beyond reputeDuncan Roberts has a reputation beyond reputeDuncan Roberts has a reputation beyond reputeDuncan Roberts has a reputation beyond reputeDuncan Roberts has a reputation beyond reputeDuncan Roberts has a reputation beyond reputeDuncan Roberts has a reputation beyond reputeDuncan Roberts has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by TimberHut
As an aside... The last time I flew back to England I didn't think the duty-free prices were that good at all. I always remember it seeming really cheap but this time it didn't seem much different to what I'd pay in a local store.
I agree. They weren't horrible since most were larger bottles but they seemed to have increased significantly.
Old Apr 20th 2011, 2:58 pm
SUPER MODERATOR

Jerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by ihe
Hi,

I need to buy about 30 bottles of alcoholic spirit for an event. I'm coming to the US over Easter and am pretty sure it would be cheaper to buy it in the US than the UK (or in duty free for that matter). Could anybody suggest the best way of executing this transaction and whether there would be restrictions on what I could take back.

thanks
How on earth are you going to get 30 bottles (presumably 750 cl or 1 litre bottles) back to the UK? Transportation is going to cost you...then there is UK customs duty.

If you are thinking you can buy them at the airport duty free think again. In my experience the duty free shop will only sell 1 litre of alcohol per person. I tried to buy 2 bottles last year and was told I could only buy 1.

Last edited by Jerseygirl; Apr 20th 2011 at 3:01 pm.
Old Apr 20th 2011, 3:46 pm
WTF?

Leslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond repute

30 bottles of the little miniatures they give you on the airplane? Hide them in your whoopsie.
Old Apr 20th 2011, 4:38 pm
Bob
BE Site Lead

Bob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond repute

Rent a van and take a ferry to France, has to be a lot cheaper and easier than dealing with that many bottles of booze and an airplane?
Old Apr 20th 2011, 6:25 pm
I love my brick!

zargof has a reputation beyond reputezargof has a reputation beyond reputezargof has a reputation beyond reputezargof has a reputation beyond reputezargof has a reputation beyond reputezargof has a reputation beyond reputezargof has a reputation beyond reputezargof has a reputation beyond reputezargof has a reputation beyond reputezargof has a reputation beyond reputezargof has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Leslie66
30 bottles of the little miniatures they give you on the airplane? Hide them in your whoopsie.
If it was anyone else I'd be curious as to how they knew you could hide 30 bottles in their whoopsie. But as it's you, I don't really need to ask.