Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

Travelling to US, from UK via Canada

Travelling to US, from UK via Canada

Old Jun 21st 2008, 9:00 am
Forum Regular

sarahlou145 is just really nicesarahlou145 is just really nicesarahlou145 is just really nicesarahlou145 is just really nicesarahlou145 is just really nicesarahlou145 is just really nicesarahlou145 is just really nicesarahlou145 is just really nicesarahlou145 is just really nicesarahlou145 is just really nice
Default Travelling to US, from UK via Canada

Hello

I have a UK passport and am going to Niagara Falls in a few weeks, Im flying into Toronto (as its cheaper) and staying with friends who live there the first night, then we are going to cross the border to the US, and stay in a hotel i the US for 4 nights.
Do i need any extra documentation to cross the border?, ive only ever been to the US not Canada, i assume they have a similar VWP in place, also do i put my friends address in Toronto on the VWP.
Thanks in advance
Sarah

PS: For those of you who know my situation we are still in the process of applying for the E2 visa - no update yet!!
Old Jun 21st 2008, 1:55 pm
SUPER MODERATOR

Jerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Travelling to US, from UK via Canada

Originally Posted by sarahlou145
Hello

I have a UK passport and am going to Niagara Falls in a few weeks, Im flying into Toronto (as its cheaper) and staying with friends who live there the first night, then we are going to cross the border to the US, and stay in a hotel i the US for 4 nights.
Do i need any extra documentation to cross the border?, ive only ever been to the US not Canada, i assume they have a similar VWP in place, also do i put my friends address in Toronto on the VWP.
Thanks in advance
Sarah

PS: For those of you who know my situation we are still in the process of applying for the E2 visa - no update yet!!
Make sure you have your return tickets to the UK with you...proving you have intentions to go back to the UK via Canada.
Old Jun 21st 2008, 2:38 pm
BE Enthusiast

mayhemuk is a glorious beacon of lightmayhemuk is a glorious beacon of lightmayhemuk is a glorious beacon of lightmayhemuk is a glorious beacon of lightmayhemuk is a glorious beacon of lightmayhemuk is a glorious beacon of lightmayhemuk is a glorious beacon of lightmayhemuk is a glorious beacon of lightmayhemuk is a glorious beacon of lightmayhemuk is a glorious beacon of lightmayhemuk is a glorious beacon of light

You'll go through the same processing at the border as an airport.
I did a RTW trip that took me from New Zealand to Hawaii to Vancouver and crossed overland to Seattle and beyond.

Be ready for some confusion though. The Border person was very unaccepting of why my VWP card had been taken out of my passport.
Well because I left Hawaii and went into Canada!!!

If you have your accomodation in US booked just put that address like you normally would and as mentioned have your return ticket to the UK with you (Or a copy of it at least)

Have fun.
Old Jun 21st 2008, 2:48 pm
Forum Regular

sarahlou145 is just really nicesarahlou145 is just really nicesarahlou145 is just really nicesarahlou145 is just really nicesarahlou145 is just really nicesarahlou145 is just really nicesarahlou145 is just really nicesarahlou145 is just really nicesarahlou145 is just really nicesarahlou145 is just really nice

Thanks for the replies, hopefully it will be pretty straight forward