Reload this Page >

Travelling from the US to the UK with Maiden name Passport

Travelling from the US to the UK with Maiden name Passport

Old Mar 28th 2017, 7:10 pm
Forum Regular

CorinnaCrackles is an unknown quantity at this point
Unhappy Travelling from the US to the UK with Maiden name Passport

Good afternoon

I was just about to book my first flight back to the UK after leaving in December 2015. I went to book my ticket and suddenly panicked. it asks for me to put my name in how it is on my government issued ID. I have two government issued ID's

I called expedia and opened up an unwanted can of worms. I asked do I need to put it down as my UK passport which doesn't expire till 2020 and is still my maiden name. Or do I write it down as my US name which is now my married name...I thought they were just going to tell me to put it down as on my passport...but... After being on hold for a really long time (don't think they get asked this qu. much) they eventually told me I needed to update my passport.

Personally I am not sure if this is correct. All my UK stuff still says I am single...so why is it a problem? Just wondering if anyone else has been in this situation? I am curious. It seems like a crazy length to go to to just allow me to travel...My name is still my maiden name in the UK, my passport is a UK passport.

I will do it if there will be problems, I am just upset because I have finally found flights at a great price that we can finally afford. I don't want to wait. I just want to book them now.

Thanks in advance,
Corinna
Old Mar 28th 2017, 7:34 pm

lansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Travelling from the US to the UK with Maiden name Passport

Book in the name on your passport. Carry your marriage certificate in the event someone queries why your ID is in two names. You will need to show your Green Card and UK passport when checking in and at the boarding gate in the UK.

If you still have doubts, call the airline before you book and ask them to confirm that is OK.

Last edited by lansbury; Mar 28th 2017 at 7:36 pm.
Old Mar 28th 2017, 7:49 pm
Forum Regular

Thanks Lansbury! This is what my Mum advised! She was like just bring all the documentation. Thank you for your speedy response!
Old Mar 28th 2017, 8:03 pm
Concierge

Rete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond repute

Totally agree with Lansbury. Book your ticket in the government ID name that allows you into that country. In your case, it is your UK passport. There should be no questions asked about your married name as you won't be using it. Just bring the marriage certificate along with you and if you have your green card already, please do yourself a favor and make a copy of it and keep it separate from your green card, i.e. not both in your wallet. Do not store it in your luggage that is going in the hold but if you have carry on put it in there for the flight.
Old Mar 28th 2017, 8:13 pm
Forum Regular

Thanks so much Rete, you are both making me feel at ease. Everything else I am finding online is saying the same thing. I don't think Expedia knew what they were on about...they didn't seem like they fully understood me.

Thanks!
Old Mar 29th 2017, 10:05 pm
Forum Regular

Just_Joy is an unknown quantity at this point

The name on your ticket has to match the name on your passport. I would recommend carrying your marriage certificate as other posters have suggested in case you are asked on your return if your green card does not match your passport.
Old Mar 29th 2017, 10:17 pm
Concierge

Rete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by CorinnaCrackles
Thanks so much Rete, you are both making me feel at ease. Everything else I am finding online is saying the same thing. I don't think Expedia knew what they were on about...they didn't seem like they fully understood me.

Thanks!

One of my daughters was a travel director and when she left she looked into working for Expedia. She found that most of their operators worked from home. I'm sure they do not have comprehensive knowledge, outside of the manual provided to them, of things such as your question.

The advice to book in the name on the passport and carry your marriage certificate has been given in the marriage-based visa forum for nearly 20 years now. You will be just fine.
Old Mar 30th 2017, 12:17 pm
Forum Regular

glowie has a reputation beyond reputeglowie has a reputation beyond reputeglowie has a reputation beyond reputeglowie has a reputation beyond reputeglowie has a reputation beyond reputeglowie has a reputation beyond reputeglowie has a reputation beyond reputeglowie has a reputation beyond reputeglowie has a reputation beyond reputeglowie has a reputation beyond reputeglowie has a reputation beyond repute

If a question like that comes up again, just call the airline and not expedia.

I had a great experience with United Airlines calling them about the exact same issue. My problem though was, that I already knew I have to put my maiden name on the ticket (no one outside of the US cares how you call yourself in the US, your passport is the most important document in travel), but wanted to know if I can get the miles for my account (in my US married name).

Yes, use passport, as that's what you're using to identify yourself and yes, you can even get the miles put on your account after your flight