British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   USA (https://britishexpats.com/forum/usa-57/)
-   -   Travelling under Maiden Name... (https://britishexpats.com/forum/usa-57/travelling-under-maiden-name-283932/)

Alexandra669 Feb 13th 2005 1:03 pm

Travelling under Maiden Name...

I have read the thread on airline tickets under a different name but this is slightly different query...I am recently married yet all my ID documents - passport/driving licence are in my maiden name with a good eight years to go before renewal - does anyone know if it is illegal to travel to/within the US on these documents?
I have no credit cards or anything in my married name. I'll also be applying for a work visa for one year - same question - maiden or married. ( I will also be asking this latter question in the immigration section) I am a musician who works under her maiden name and would rather it not be known that I'm married.

Pulaski Feb 13th 2005 1:06 pm

Re: Travelling under Maiden Name...

Travel shouldn't be a problem, five years after we married my wife still travels on her (pre-marriage) passport. She just takes a copy of our marriage certificate with us when we travel, and in any case she books international travel (airline tickets) using her maiden name.

It also shouldn't cause you any problem living under your maiden name. Just like in the UK, although it is customary for women to take their husband's name on marriage it isn't required. In fact changing your name on marriage is a legal privilege (based on long established custom), but keeping it the same is actually much easier to do.

britchicknyc Feb 13th 2005 2:35 pm

Originally Posted by Pulaski
Travel shouldn't be a problem, five years after we married my wife still travels on her (pre-marriage) passport. She just takes a copy of our marriage certificate with us when we travel, and in any case she books international travel (airline tickets) using her maiden name.

It also shouldn't cause you any problem living under your maiden name. Just like in the UK, although it is customary for women to take their husband's name on marriage it isn't required. In fact changing your name on marriage is a legal privilege (based on long established custom), but keeping it the same is actually much easier to do.

Exactly. I have been married 3+ years and my passport is still in my maiden name. Just book all flights in that name. It really doesn't matter which you use - as long as ALL DOCUMENTS MATCH.

You can change them if you wish, but you are no obligation to do so.

KarnalEcho Feb 13th 2005 11:10 pm

Originally Posted by Alexandra669
I have read the thread on airline tickets under a different name but this is slightly different query...I am recently married yet all my ID documents - passport/driving licence are in my maiden name with a good eight years to go before renewal - does anyone know if it is illegal to travel to/within the US on these documents?
I have no credit cards or anything in my married name. I'll also be applying for a work visa for one year - same question - maiden or married. ( I will also be asking this latter question in the immigration section) I am a musician who works under her maiden name and would rather it not be known that I'm married.

Probably couldn't hurt to hang on to anything showing you were married w/ your new name. We needed it a few times to prove the name chage thing

Bob Feb 14th 2005 12:37 am

It shouldn't be a problem, but can be handy having marriage cert when travelling, as for EAD, whatever name you want to use, just as long as your consistant with it in all your USCIS correspondance, shouldn't be a problem.

megs Feb 14th 2005 12:59 am

I live in the US quite happily with two names - my own name which I use professionally, and my married name which I use for some things. My driver's licence and SSN are in different names, and so are my SSN and health insurance, come to that. I have three bank accounts with the same bank two in one name, one in the other. In fact, the debit card on one account in my married name is still in my professional name, and nobody has even queried that (so much for security). My passport is in my professional name, and my UK driving licence is in both, since the UK allows that.

I've never had any problems, with travelling, id, or anything else.

TRPardoe Feb 14th 2005 12:28 pm

Originally Posted by megs
I live in the US quite happily with two names - my own name which I use professionally, and my married name which I use for some things. My driver's licence and SSN are in different names, and so are my SSN and health insurance, come to that. I have three bank accounts with the same bank two in one name, one in the other. In fact, the debit card on one account in my married name is still in my professional name, and nobody has even queried that (so much for security). My passport is in my professional name, and my UK driving licence is in both, since the UK allows that.

I've never had any problems, with travelling, id, or anything else.

My wife kept her own name because it was too much of a pain to change all her professional paperwork. It is never a problem and has a fringe benefit.

When I get mail addressed to Mr. Stecher, Stecher-Pardoe, Pardoe-Stecher etc etc I KNOW it is junk mail :D

Sarah Feb 14th 2005 2:57 pm

I had the same problem as you when I went on my honeymoon. I phoned the airline who said to bring the marriage certificate as that has your maiden name and your married name on it. I did take it with me, showed it at the check in and they were fine from there on.

Alexandra669 Feb 14th 2005 9:39 pm

Thank you to everyone who has responded so far... this really is an excellent forum and you've been hugely helpful. Regards to all... :)