Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

Travelling to UK with US native spouse.

Travelling to UK with US native spouse.

Old Mar 31st 2011, 10:33 pm
Forum Regular

pTeronaut is a glorious beacon of lightpTeronaut is a glorious beacon of lightpTeronaut is a glorious beacon of lightpTeronaut is a glorious beacon of lightpTeronaut is a glorious beacon of lightpTeronaut is a glorious beacon of lightpTeronaut is a glorious beacon of lightpTeronaut is a glorious beacon of lightpTeronaut is a glorious beacon of lightpTeronaut is a glorious beacon of lightpTeronaut is a glorious beacon of light
Default Travelling to UK with US native spouse.

On the few occasions that I have been able to make it back to the UK with my wife in the nine years I have been in the US, I have always entered the UK via the Citizen's gate then proceeded to wait at the other side of the visitor's gate for my wife. Almost everytime she has mentioned that she had been met with some disdain from the immigration officer at the gate.

If you are married to a US citizen how do you both enter the UK?
Old Mar 31st 2011, 10:49 pm

avanutria has a reputation beyond reputeavanutria has a reputation beyond reputeavanutria has a reputation beyond reputeavanutria has a reputation beyond reputeavanutria has a reputation beyond reputeavanutria has a reputation beyond reputeavanutria has a reputation beyond reputeavanutria has a reputation beyond reputeavanutria has a reputation beyond reputeavanutria has a reputation beyond reputeavanutria has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Travelling to UK with US native spouse.

We tried it a variety of ways and almost always met with disapproval. I think for the UK we settled on going through separately, but I had a UK spousal visa, not a tourist visa. If I were on a tourist visa I would probably try going through the non-EU line with my (UKC) DH.

When entering the US for the last time before DH's green card came through, I was told (somewhat forcefully) that I should bring my foreign spouse with me through the citizen line. I believe the officer said "You should stay together because you are married, and your US passport trumps any other line."
Old Mar 31st 2011, 10:53 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

sir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond repute

We always have a friendly race, convincingly won last time because Manchester has those automatic gates that scan your chip and stuff. I do recall the wife has on occasion had to point at me and make it clear she wasn't intending on staying and that yes she knew the rules.
Old Mar 31st 2011, 10:53 pm
Forum Regular

pTeronaut is a glorious beacon of lightpTeronaut is a glorious beacon of lightpTeronaut is a glorious beacon of lightpTeronaut is a glorious beacon of lightpTeronaut is a glorious beacon of lightpTeronaut is a glorious beacon of lightpTeronaut is a glorious beacon of lightpTeronaut is a glorious beacon of lightpTeronaut is a glorious beacon of lightpTeronaut is a glorious beacon of lightpTeronaut is a glorious beacon of light

Originally Posted by avanutria
We tried it a variety of ways and almost always met with disapproval. I think for the UK we settled on going through separately, but I had a UK spousal visa, not a tourist visa. If I were on a tourist visa I would probably try going through the non-EU line with my (UKC) DH.

When entering the US for the last time before DH's green card came through, I was told (somewhat forcefully) that I should bring my foreign spouse with me through the citizen line. I believe the officer said "You should stay together because you are married, and your US passport trumps any other line."
Yea, when re-entering the US for the 1st time with my wife and my k-3 visa, the CIS officer suggested that next time I enter with my wife through the citizen line.

It reminds me of the 'The Connells' song "Back In Blighty"

So we left New York and the sun shone down.
When we landed here there were clouds upon the ground.
And they checked our bags, and they checked our gear
and they said "What do you plan on doing here?"

Christ almighty we're back in Blighty, they don't even want us near,...

Last edited by pTeronaut; Mar 31st 2011 at 10:57 pm.
Old Mar 31st 2011, 10:56 pm
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by sir_eccles
We always have a friendly race, convincingly won last time because Manchester has those automatic gates that scan your chip and stuff. I do recall the wife has on occasion had to point at me and make it clear she wasn't intending on staying and that yes she knew the rules.
It has been Manchester that we've entered from the US everytime so far. It will be Heathrow this time because the prices from Chicago to MAN have gone through the roof, and we plan on visiting London anyway, despite our first stop being North Yorkshire.
Old Mar 31st 2011, 11:00 pm
BE Forum Addict

hobbes79 has a reputation beyond reputehobbes79 has a reputation beyond reputehobbes79 has a reputation beyond reputehobbes79 has a reputation beyond reputehobbes79 has a reputation beyond reputehobbes79 has a reputation beyond reputehobbes79 has a reputation beyond reputehobbes79 has a reputation beyond reputehobbes79 has a reputation beyond reputehobbes79 has a reputation beyond reputehobbes79 has a reputation beyond repute

We go through together. As for line selection of GB or foreign... whichever is shorter

Never had a complaint from them. Almost always go through Heathrow.
Old Mar 31st 2011, 11:04 pm
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by hobbes79
We go through together. As for line selection of GB or foreign... whichever is shorter

Never had a complaint from them. Almost always go through Heathrow.
What passports? Will the EU/UK gate accept a non-EU/UK passport coming in for vacation if accompanied by UK passport holding spouse?
Old Mar 31st 2011, 11:14 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Bluegrass Lass has a reputation beyond reputeBluegrass Lass has a reputation beyond reputeBluegrass Lass has a reputation beyond reputeBluegrass Lass has a reputation beyond reputeBluegrass Lass has a reputation beyond reputeBluegrass Lass has a reputation beyond reputeBluegrass Lass has a reputation beyond reputeBluegrass Lass has a reputation beyond reputeBluegrass Lass has a reputation beyond reputeBluegrass Lass has a reputation beyond reputeBluegrass Lass has a reputation beyond repute

We enter through Glasgow or Edinburgh, and I've always gone through the citizen/EU line with my OH on my US passport. The one time I didn't, the Immigration Officer told me I should have gone with him through the other line. Now granted, it has been about 3 years since we've been back to the UK so I don't know if procedure has changed.

Coming into the US, hubby always went through the citizen line with me (since he had his green card).
Old Mar 31st 2011, 11:16 pm
Bob
BE Site Lead

Bob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by pTeronaut
What passports? Will the EU/UK gate accept a non-EU/UK passport coming in for vacation if accompanied by UK passport holding spouse?
Yes
Old Mar 31st 2011, 11:30 pm
BE Enthusiast

Moonshadow_Girl has a reputation beyond reputeMoonshadow_Girl has a reputation beyond reputeMoonshadow_Girl has a reputation beyond reputeMoonshadow_Girl has a reputation beyond reputeMoonshadow_Girl has a reputation beyond reputeMoonshadow_Girl has a reputation beyond reputeMoonshadow_Girl has a reputation beyond reputeMoonshadow_Girl has a reputation beyond reputeMoonshadow_Girl has a reputation beyond reputeMoonshadow_Girl has a reputation beyond reputeMoonshadow_Girl has a reputation beyond repute

We traveled to Heathrow right before Christmas. I am the USC and this was our first time back as a married couple. DH proceeded to the EU line while I went through the non-EU line. I literally whizzed through with a couple of questions, (traveling with anybody, purpose of trip). Line moved so fast, my feet kept moving. An "enjoy your stay" and I was on my way. I had to wait about 10 min for DH to make it through the EU line.
Old Apr 1st 2011, 1:34 am
Forum Regular

Married2abrit has a reputation beyond reputeMarried2abrit has a reputation beyond reputeMarried2abrit has a reputation beyond reputeMarried2abrit has a reputation beyond reputeMarried2abrit has a reputation beyond reputeMarried2abrit has a reputation beyond reputeMarried2abrit has a reputation beyond reputeMarried2abrit has a reputation beyond reputeMarried2abrit has a reputation beyond reputeMarried2abrit has a reputation beyond reputeMarried2abrit has a reputation beyond repute

Going to visit husband's parents we usually go through Manchester and I have always gone through the non-EU line and I think I have beaten my husband every time (he goes through the EU one). I always just say I'm visiting my in-laws and haven't had any problems. On the way back to the US he comes with me in the citizen line (10 year green card).
Old Apr 1st 2011, 1:37 am
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by Married2abrit
Going to visit husband's parents we usually go through Manchester and I have always gone through the non-EU line and I think I have beaten my husband every time (he goes through the EU one). I always just say I'm visiting my in-laws and haven't had any problems. On the way back to the US he comes with me in the citizen line (10 year green card).
That's funny, I've always had to wait for my wife as she goes through the non-EU line at Manchester whilst I sail through the EU line.
Old Apr 1st 2011, 4:59 am
Just Joined

IcedGem is an unknown quantity at this point

Our last visit we went through Heathrow, I went EU, husband went non-EU. I was sat waiting about 10-15 minutes for him.

When asked the purpose of the visit and he said visiting his wife's family all he got was an "I'm sorry!"
Old Apr 1st 2011, 5:31 am
SUPER MODERATOR

Jerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond repute

At Christmas my daughter's Canadian fiance entered the UK with us. The IO let him through but said in future he has to go through non EU immigration.
Old Apr 1st 2011, 6:13 am
Forum Regular

chopper40 is just really nicechopper40 is just really nicechopper40 is just really nicechopper40 is just really nicechopper40 is just really nicechopper40 is just really nicechopper40 is just really nicechopper40 is just really nice

Originally Posted by Bluegrass Lass
We enter through Glasgow or Edinburgh, and I've always gone through the citizen/EU line with my OH on my US passport. The one time I didn't, the Immigration Officer told me I should have gone with him through the other line. Now granted, it has been about 3 years since we've been back to the UK so I don't know if procedure has changed.

Coming into the US, hubby always went through the citizen line with me (since he had his green card).
My OH always went through the non-EU line in Edinburgh and I'd wait for her. I would usually hang around just inside the exit corridor and when immigration asked my wife "Is your husband traveling with you?" She would say "He's behind you". This sometimes was met with a smile from the immigration officer.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.