British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   USA (https://britishexpats.com/forum/usa-57/)
-   -   Travelling on two passports questions (https://britishexpats.com/forum/usa-57/travelling-two-passports-questions-788093/)

into_thewild Feb 20th 2013 9:41 pm

Travelling on two passports questions

Hello all,
I'm wondering if you could help me with something. I am a dual us/uk citizen and i live in the uk.
In June I am traveling to costa rica to visit my aunt. I am then travelling to Boston in the USA to see the rest of the family before heading home.
I am just checking to see what passports i should use. I know that upon leaving the EU I must use my UK passport and entering and leaving the USA it must be my US passport.
I am wondering if, upon entering Costa Rica, I should switch to my USA passport as I will have to use the USA passport going from CR to the USA, if they stamp it etc....I'm not sure if I could switch passports mid trip though
Can anyone shed any light on this?
Thanks!

jeffreyhy Feb 20th 2013 10:16 pm

Re: Travelling on two passports questions

When entering the US you only show your passport to the US CBP and must show your US passport.

When leaving the US you only show your passport to the TSA and airline staff, who will compare it to your airline boarding pass. The names should match.

Don't know about entering and leaving Costa Rica. Do you need a visa to visit there for either or both of you nationalities?

Regards, JEff

kimilseung Feb 20th 2013 10:24 pm

I would think that you would use whichever passport is most advantageous to you in CR, in terms of visa requirements and entry times.

Is it ever a problem? Can't you just wave them one by one until they are happy?

into_thewild Feb 20th 2013 10:28 pm

I don't need a visa of or eit,her nationality. Would I get in to trouble for entering coasta rica on the us passport? As ill be leaving on that one and obviously they'll want to see the stamps etc to assess how long I've been there when I leave....

Duncan Roberts Feb 20th 2013 11:33 pm

Originally Posted by into_thewild (Post 10558152)
they'll want to see the stamps etc to assess how long I've been there when I leave....

I highly doubt that.

MarylandNed Feb 21st 2013 10:46 pm

Originally Posted by into_thewild (Post 10558061)
...I know that upon leaving the EU I must use my UK passport...

Is that correct?

Pulaski Feb 22nd 2013 12:05 am

Originally Posted by MarylandNed (Post 10560666)
Is that correct?

No, the UK doesn't care. ... Per the OP's questions, it is likely that they can pack their British passport away and only pull it out for a speedy passage through immigration coming back into the UK.

MarylandNed Feb 22nd 2013 2:55 am

Originally Posted by Pulaski (Post 10560755)
No, the UK doesn't care. ... Per the OP's questions, it is likely that they can pack their British passport away and only pull it out for a speedy passage through immigration coming back into the UK.

That's what I thought. I've exited (and entered) the UK on non-UK passports even though I'm a UKC.