Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

Travelling to Chicago - Please help anybody

Travelling to Chicago - Please help anybody

Old Feb 27th 2009, 8:24 am
Just Joined

Fizzy123 is just really niceFizzy123 is just really niceFizzy123 is just really niceFizzy123 is just really niceFizzy123 is just really niceFizzy123 is just really niceFizzy123 is just really niceFizzy123 is just really nice
Unhappy Travelling to Chicago - Please help anybody

Hello everybody

I am a British Citizen but have never traveled to US before. I am planning to do so soon. I am married to my Canadian partner but its not valid here in UK therefore the Canadian Immigration will not accept it as a valid marriage. We need a marriage certificate that's valid in the jurisdiction the marriage took place. I need to apply for my Canadian PR asap.

The residency time to get married here in UK is almost 3 weeks and my partner cant leave his job for such a long time. I cant go to Canada, because the immigration already knows he is my spouse and suspect that I will not return to England once I enter Canada. Therefore we have decided to get married in US. Its a quicker way so hopefully soon we will be both meeting up in Chicago after 3 months

The problem is I have never traveled to US before. I am scared of the immigration officers. Should I tell them I am visiting my Canadian partner so that we can tie the knot OR should I say I am going to see my family friends. My husband's brother is a US citizen and lives in Chicago. Would they cause problems if I tell them my true intentions? What if they start cross questioning etc ...

Please advise
Old Feb 27th 2009, 12:04 pm
JAJ
Retired

JAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Travelling to Chicago - Please help anybody

Originally Posted by Fizzy123
Hello everybody

I am a British Citizen but have never traveled to US before. I am planning to do so soon. I am married to my Canadian partner but its not valid here in UK therefore the Canadian Immigration will not accept it as a valid marriage. (
Why is it not valid in the UK? What kind of marriage is it?
Old Feb 27th 2009, 12:28 pm
Just Joined

Fizzy123 is just really niceFizzy123 is just really niceFizzy123 is just really niceFizzy123 is just really niceFizzy123 is just really niceFizzy123 is just really niceFizzy123 is just really niceFizzy123 is just really nice

Originally Posted by JAJ
Why is it not valid in the UK? What kind of marriage is it?
aww because its an islamic nikkah. at that time we weren't aware that u have to have a civil marriage done alongside with the religious ceremony in UK found out when we started to think about the sponsorship process
Old Feb 27th 2009, 1:20 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Bluegrass Lass has a reputation beyond reputeBluegrass Lass has a reputation beyond reputeBluegrass Lass has a reputation beyond reputeBluegrass Lass has a reputation beyond reputeBluegrass Lass has a reputation beyond reputeBluegrass Lass has a reputation beyond reputeBluegrass Lass has a reputation beyond reputeBluegrass Lass has a reputation beyond reputeBluegrass Lass has a reputation beyond reputeBluegrass Lass has a reputation beyond reputeBluegrass Lass has a reputation beyond repute

I would just tell the truth at immigration, but only share information when specifically asked for it. So, for example, if the Imm. Officer asks you if you are here for business or pleasure, you simply answer 'pleasure'. If it eventually comes out that you are getting married, make it clear that it's a 'destination wedding' for you both. You don't want to lie to immigration, but neither do you want to share information that you have not specifically been asked for.

Since neither of you have US residency or citizenship, you wouldn't be able to immigrate anyway.

Last edited by Bluegrass Lass; Feb 27th 2009 at 1:44 pm.
Old Feb 27th 2009, 1:33 pm
Just Joined

Originally Posted by sunflwrgrl13
I would just tell the truth at immigration, but only share information when specifically asked for it. So, for example, if the Imm. Officer asks you if you are here for business or pleasure, you simply answer 'pleasure'. If it eventually comes that you are getting married, make it clear that it's a 'destination wedding' for you both. You don't want to lie to immigration, but neither do you want to share information that you have not specifically been asked for.

Since neither of you have US residency or citizenship, you wouldn't be able to immigrate anyway.
Thanks a lot Sun
Old Feb 27th 2009, 2:52 pm
lj2
BE Enthusiast

lj2 is a glorious beacon of lightlj2 is a glorious beacon of lightlj2 is a glorious beacon of lightlj2 is a glorious beacon of lightlj2 is a glorious beacon of lightlj2 is a glorious beacon of lightlj2 is a glorious beacon of lightlj2 is a glorious beacon of lightlj2 is a glorious beacon of lightlj2 is a glorious beacon of lightlj2 is a glorious beacon of light

Congratulations by the way, and enjoy Chicago - it's a great City!
Old Feb 27th 2009, 2:53 pm
Just Joined

Originally Posted by lj2
Congratulations by the way, and enjoy Chicago - it's a great City!
Thanks dear. Tell me what I can do in Chicago?
Old Feb 27th 2009, 3:20 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Bluegrass Lass has a reputation beyond reputeBluegrass Lass has a reputation beyond reputeBluegrass Lass has a reputation beyond reputeBluegrass Lass has a reputation beyond reputeBluegrass Lass has a reputation beyond reputeBluegrass Lass has a reputation beyond reputeBluegrass Lass has a reputation beyond reputeBluegrass Lass has a reputation beyond reputeBluegrass Lass has a reputation beyond reputeBluegrass Lass has a reputation beyond reputeBluegrass Lass has a reputation beyond repute

Thanks dear. Tell me what I can do in Chicago?
Tonnes! My husband and I have been there a few times and loved it! We quite enjoyed the museums, and I quite enjoyed the shopping along the Magnificent Mile. We also went to see a couple of shows at the theaters. Start searching on Google for Chicago travel recommendations, and you will find tonnes of info! We liked it so much, that we have been considering moving there in a few years.
Old Feb 27th 2009, 3:36 pm
BE Forum Addict

USBound has a reputation beyond reputeUSBound has a reputation beyond reputeUSBound has a reputation beyond reputeUSBound has a reputation beyond reputeUSBound has a reputation beyond reputeUSBound has a reputation beyond reputeUSBound has a reputation beyond reputeUSBound has a reputation beyond reputeUSBound has a reputation beyond reputeUSBound has a reputation beyond reputeUSBound has a reputation beyond repute

note - chicago weather is currently not great... alternating between 55F and rain / 20f and snow.
Old Feb 27th 2009, 3:49 pm
lj2
BE Enthusiast

lj2 is a glorious beacon of lightlj2 is a glorious beacon of lightlj2 is a glorious beacon of lightlj2 is a glorious beacon of lightlj2 is a glorious beacon of lightlj2 is a glorious beacon of lightlj2 is a glorious beacon of lightlj2 is a glorious beacon of lightlj2 is a glorious beacon of lightlj2 is a glorious beacon of lightlj2 is a glorious beacon of light

Originally Posted by USBound
note - chicago weather is currently not great... alternating between 55F and rain / 20f and snow.
USBound - dont be so miserable - the rain is homely and the snow is beautiful!!

Museums in Chicago are unbelievably good, acquarium is good (although big part is closed right now which sucks) and planetarium is great fun. You have the acquarium, the planetarium and the field museum all in the same place essentially, and there are great views of the city from arund there. If you have kids, the children's museum is brilliant. Visit Navy pier, go on the wheel, watch a free show. Go to the theatre, watch a sporting event (Blackhawks hockey is great right now, and the Bulls basketball are doing OK and have one great player that you'll hear a lot about one day), eat food - some amazing restaurants, go to second city for a comedy show and generally wander along the mag mile and then the parks/fountains.

That should keep you busy for a while! Depending when you come over, the best thing I have done here is the architectural river cruise, leaving from Navy Pier - SUpERB!
Old Feb 27th 2009, 5:09 pm
BE Forum Addict

USBound has a reputation beyond reputeUSBound has a reputation beyond reputeUSBound has a reputation beyond reputeUSBound has a reputation beyond reputeUSBound has a reputation beyond reputeUSBound has a reputation beyond reputeUSBound has a reputation beyond reputeUSBound has a reputation beyond reputeUSBound has a reputation beyond reputeUSBound has a reputation beyond reputeUSBound has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by lj2
I have a 40ft long gravel driveway.... snow is NOT beautiful 20mins into shoveling.
Old Feb 27th 2009, 6:17 pm
Bob
BE Site Lead

Bob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by USBound
I have a 40ft long gravel driveway.... snow is NOT beautiful 20mins into shoveling.
get a bobcat

I agree though, clearing snow sucks goat.
Old Feb 27th 2009, 6:37 pm
Just Joined

Originally Posted by lj2

Museums in Chicago are unbelievably good, acquarium is good (although big part is closed right now which sucks) and planetarium is great fun. You have the acquarium, the planetarium and the field museum all in the same place essentially, and there are great views of the city from arund there. If you have kids, the children's museum is brilliant. Visit Navy pier, go on the wheel, watch a free show. Go to the theatre, watch a sporting event (Blackhawks hockey is great right now, and the Bulls basketball are doing OK and have one great player that you'll hear a lot about one day), eat food - some amazing restaurants, go to second city for a comedy show and generally wander along the mag mile and then the parks/fountains.

That should keep you busy for a while! Depending when you come over, the best thing I have done here is the architectural river cruise, leaving from Navy Pier - SUpERB!
Okay then. I am going to Chicago in a week or two I dont like snow either but since I will only be there for a few days therefore it won't be so depressing I just want to get married and be with my hubbzzzy

Thanks for the responses peeps !
Old Feb 28th 2009, 12:51 am
And YOU'RE paying for it!

lapin_windstar has a reputation beyond reputelapin_windstar has a reputation beyond reputelapin_windstar has a reputation beyond reputelapin_windstar has a reputation beyond reputelapin_windstar has a reputation beyond reputelapin_windstar has a reputation beyond reputelapin_windstar has a reputation beyond reputelapin_windstar has a reputation beyond reputelapin_windstar has a reputation beyond reputelapin_windstar has a reputation beyond reputelapin_windstar has a reputation beyond repute

Therefore we have decided to get married in US.
Hold on - you've checked what the requirements for getting a marriage license in Chicago, right? Chicago is in Cook County, IL, and I think (but double check it) that the info is here: http://www.cookctyclerk.com/sub/marriage_licenses.asp

Also, they don't seem to give you a marriage certificate on the spot: they give you a license, you go away and someone performs the ceremony, they sign the license, they return the license to the county clerk, and then the county clerk can return the license. But I can't tell what happens if you get married at the office by the clerk.

Also, check out what the Canadians want from you in terms of "legalization" / "certification" of the marriage certificate.

Good luck! Don't get daunted, if I can get through it anyone can...
Old Feb 28th 2009, 7:17 am
Just Joined

Originally Posted by lapin_windstar
Hold on - you've checked what the requirements for getting a marriage license in Chicago, right? Chicago is in Cook County, IL, and I think (but double check it) that the info is here: http://www.cookctyclerk.com/sub/marriage_licenses.asp

Also, they don't seem to give you a marriage certificate on the spot: they give you a license, you go away and someone performs the ceremony, they sign the license, they return the license to the county clerk, and then the county clerk can return the license. But I can't tell what happens if you get married at the office by the clerk.

Also, check out what the Canadians want from you in terms of "legalization" / "certification" of the marriage certificate.

Good luck! Don't get daunted, if I can get through it anyone can...
Hiya

I have already spoken to somebody at the cook county office, and the have told me that if i have a valid UK passport and birth certificate, i can get a marriage license. So hopefully this shouldn't be a problem. I am going to ring them again and find out how to obtain the full certificate.

Canadian immigration requires a marriage that is valid in the jurisdiction it took place. So this should be okay too, i was advised by a solicitor to do the same.

But thanks a lot for the input guys.

Cheers

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.