British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   USA (https://britishexpats.com/forum/usa-57/)
-   -   Travelling to Canada from US on British passport (https://britishexpats.com/forum/usa-57/travelling-canada-us-british-passport-877493/)

Munter May 14th 2016 10:11 pm

Travelling to Canada from US on British passport

Hi
I currently live in Rochester NY on an L2 visa as does my daughter. We have family flying in to Toronto next week and I am driving to collect them. The problem is.... My daughters British passport runs out in July (we're flying home to renew this at the end of June) will she be able to cross the Canadian border to collect our family and then cross back into the USA if she has less than 6 months on her British passport?

md95065 May 15th 2016 2:38 am

Re: Travelling to Canada from US on British passport

Neither the U.S. or Canada require holders of UK passports to have 6 months validity left on their passport to enter their respective countries.

kodokan May 15th 2016 2:49 am

Last time we drove into the US from Canada, they didn't even look at our British passports - all they asked for and inspected were the Green Cards. So I can't see how the passport duration matters a jot.

Noorah101 May 15th 2016 3:43 am

Originally Posted by kodokan (Post 11948316)
Last time we drove into the US from Canada, they didn't even look at our British passports - all they asked for and inspected were the Green Cards. So I can't see how the passport duration matters a jot.

Maybe because you had green cards. The OP is entering on an L-2, so they have to show their passport.

Rene

Former Lancastrian May 15th 2016 9:34 pm

No 6 month validity requirement to enter Canada on a UK passport.

Steve_ May 16th 2016 2:06 am

Do you even need a passport to enter Canada by land? I thought only people who required visas needed them. Last I remember, you can enter Canada with a birth certificate or a DL but I'm not sure if that's only for Americans and Canadians.

On the way back, CBP would accept the I-94 and/or I-797 confirming status.

So in fact, you might not need a passport at all.

By air it's different because IATA rules require the use of a passport at check-in and the gate for international flights, but that's an industry thing, not government.

md95065 May 16th 2016 5:30 am

Originally Posted by Steve_ (Post 11948923)
By air it's different because IATA rules require the use of a passport at chttp://www.cic.gc.ca/english/visit/eta.aspheck-in and the gate for international flights, but that's an industry thing, not government.

Also, when it comes to air travel, Canada is in the process of introducing its own version of ESTA - eTA - for visa exempt visitors, which comes into effect at the end of September.
Electronic Travel Authorization (eTA)

Rete May 16th 2016 6:27 pm

Originally Posted by Steve_ (Post 11948923)
Do you even need a passport to enter Canada by land? I thought only people who required visas needed them. Last I remember, you can enter Canada with a birth certificate or a DL but I'm not sure if that's only for Americans and Canadians.

On the way back, CBP would accept the I-94 and/or I-797 confirming status.

So in fact, you might not need a passport at all.

By air it's different because IATA rules require the use of a passport at check-in and the gate for international flights, but that's an industry thing, not government.

We just returned from Canada on Sunday. Friday we were asked for our passports at the Canadian border by a pompous obnoxious border guard.

We were also asked for our passports on return to the US on Sunday at the US border.

Yes, we were driving.

Rete May 16th 2016 6:34 pm

"
Recent changes in U.S. law require people to present a passport when entering or re-entering the U.S. from Canada by car unless they have other appropriate documentation. Canadian law also requires a passport or appropriate documentation when entering Canada from the U.S. by car.

WHTI

According to the Western Hemisphere Travel Initiative (WHTI), all persons entering or re-entering the U.S. from Canada by car must have a passport or one of the following WHTI compliant documents. These documents are Trusted Traveler’s Cards such as Nexus; state-issued enhanced driver’s licenses, Enhanced Tribal Orders, U.S. military ID with travel orders, U.S. Merchant Mariner Document when traveling on official maritime business, Native American Tribal Photo ID card or Form I-872 American Indian Card.

Canada

Canadian law requires all persons entering Canada from the U.S. by car present proof of citizenship and identity. A passport fulfills both of these requirements for U.S. citizens. A U.S. citizen can also use his Nexus card to fulfill both of these requirements. In lieu of a passport or Nexus card, a U.S. citizen must provide a government-issued photo ID such as a driver’s license and proof of U.S. citizenship such as a birth certificate or naturalization certificate. However, be warned that if you go to Canada by car with your driver’s license and birth certificate but no passport you will not be able to re-enter the U.S. with these documents. Anytime you travel out of the U.S., obtain a passport unless you have a Trusted Traveler’s Card such as Nexus or other WHTI -approved documents. Citizens of other countries traveling between the U.S. and Canada by car need proof of citizenship from their country and proof of identity. A passport from his country or a WHTI-compliant document will satisfy the border requirements for both the U.S. and Canada."

celticgrid May 16th 2016 7:35 pm

Originally Posted by Rete (Post 11949602)
"
Recent changes in U.S. law require people to present a passport when entering or re-entering the U.S. from Canada by car unless they have other appropriate documentation. Canadian law also requires a passport or appropriate documentation when entering Canada from the U.S. by car.

WHTI

According to the Western Hemisphere Travel Initiative (WHTI), all persons entering or re-entering the U.S. from Canada by car must have a passport or one of the following WHTI compliant documents. These documents are Trusted Traveler’s Cards such as Nexus; state-issued enhanced driver’s licenses, Enhanced Tribal Orders, U.S. military ID with travel orders, U.S. Merchant Mariner Document when traveling on official maritime business, Native American Tribal Photo ID card or Form I-872 American Indian Card.

Canada

Canadian law requires all persons entering Canada from the U.S. by car present proof of citizenship and identity. A passport fulfills both of these requirements for U.S. citizens. A U.S. citizen can also use his Nexus card to fulfill both of these requirements. In lieu of a passport or Nexus card, a U.S. citizen must provide a government-issued photo ID such as a driver’s license and proof of U.S. citizenship such as a birth certificate or naturalization certificate. However, be warned that if you go to Canada by car with your driver’s license and birth certificate but no passport you will not be able to re-enter the U.S. with these documents. Anytime you travel out of the U.S., obtain a passport unless you have a Trusted Traveler’s Card such as Nexus or other WHTI -approved documents. Citizens of other countries traveling between the U.S. and Canada by car need proof of citizenship from their country and proof of identity. A passport from his country or a WHTI-compliant document will satisfy the border requirements for both the U.S. and Canada."

As a matter of completeness, the WHTI list seems to miss at least one nuance.

School trips on coaches.

Whether it draws a distinction between "by car" and by coach I have no idea, but a birth certificate was all that was required (supported by a form signed by a parent saying the school could take them out of the country).

I believe the adults needed passports or EDL.

Steve_ May 18th 2016 12:49 am

Originally Posted by Rete (Post 11949602)

Key words there are "appropriate documentation". Canada will accept almost anything for Americans or Canadians, not sure about other nationalities that are visa-exempt. Canada doesn't even require proof of citizenship, saying you're American and pulling out a New York DL would be sufficient. CBSA only very recently started running people through CPIC and NCIC at the POE. CBP have been doing it for ages.

Officially the US has a list of bits of ID, such as a passport, NEXUS, Global Entry, FAST, etc. but the port director or his delegate can waive the requirement. There's a way of imposing a fee if you don't have the right paperwork, form I-193.

So yes, good idea to have your passport with you but mainly to do with getting back into the US. And you're not completely buggered if you forget it.

Rete May 18th 2016 2:11 pm

Whatever, Steve.

As a USC married to a Canadian, I have never left the US for Canada without a US passport in the last 19 years. In fact, I use my passport for domestic flights within the continental US. I've known about Nexus and enhanced driver's licenses since they began available. I still use and will always use my US Passport.

I do not want to have to go to secondary to prove my US citizenship if I were to return to the US border via car without my passport.

You may, of course, continue to advise that all will be well if they don't have a US passport when returning to the US from Canada, I will continue to post what is posted officially. :p

mrken30 May 18th 2016 6:57 pm

Depending on which State you live in, are you eligible for an enhanced Drivers license. I used to live in WA and the enhanced drivers license could be used to go back and forth I believe.

Steve_ May 24th 2016 10:28 pm

Well that was my point, "appropriate documentation" is a lot more than just passports.

Former Lancastrian May 25th 2016 11:47 pm

If I drive into the USA I use my NEXUS card. If I decided to fly to the USA I could also just use my NEXUS card if flying from a Canadian airport with US pre clearance just to piss off my US counterparts but I would probably also take my passport as not all airline check in staff in the USA know what a NEXUS card is especially if flying with non designated carriers who are not registered with TSA pre check.