Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

Travelling with both UK & USA passports

Wikiposts

Travelling with both UK & USA passports

Old Jan 16th 2011, 2:35 pm
SUPER MODERATOR

Jerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Travelling with both UK & USA passports

Originally Posted by MarylandNed
If you're a US citizen you better show a US passport when leaving the US.

When you say there are no exit checks on passports, that's actually not true. Otherwise you'd be able to fly out without a passport - and you can't do that.

Your passport is first checked at check-in by the airline. It's checked again when you try to get through security on your way to the gate. These records are stored and possibly retrieved and checked again by US officials and the security services.

While it's true that the airline and security people may not immediately know that you're also a US citizen, there will exist a record of you using a UK passport to leave the US. It would be pretty easy for someone to cross-reference your details (name, date of birth, place of birth, etc) to see if you're also a US citizen. Whether or not they actually do this or will ever do this, I do not know. Rules are one thing - enforcement is another.

Why, as a dual citizen, use a UK passport to leave the US when you could be confronted by a US official at any time and have to show a US passport?
Exactly.

I travel between the US/UK and US/Canada on a regular basis. From various questions asked when entering all 3 countries it's obvious immigration know much about me and my reasons for travelling, who I am travelling with and why I am travelling. I try never to underestimate what the IO's know about me.
Old Jan 16th 2011, 2:38 pm
BE Forum Addict

Location: Maryland (via Belfast, Manchester, Toronto and London)
MarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by JAJ
Other forms of ID can be used at the security gate.
http://www.tsa.gov/travelers/airtrav...documents.shtm

Airline only cares whether your passport is acceptable at destination country.
My point was simply that a record exists of you leaving the US on something other than a US passport.

Originally Posted by JAJ
Perhaps to state the obvious, but there are times when one may have to travel in an emergency when a US passport may not be available.
I could see that possibly happening to someone. However, as a US citizen, they'd have some hassle getting back into the US without a US passport. And even if they obtained a new US passport outside the country, the question could still be asked about what they left on (since the issue date of the new one is after the original departure date from the US).
Old Jan 16th 2011, 2:42 pm
BE Forum Addict

MarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by nettlebed
But I still leave the US. You asserted "If you're a US citizen you better show a US passport when leaving the US" which is clearly not the case here.
I didn't think I'd need to spell this out...but what I meant was....

If you're a US citizen you better show a US passport when leaving the US if someone with the authority to see your passport actually asks to see it in the US before you leave. If no-one asks to see it, then obviously you don't need to show it. OK?

When you enter Canada by car, you've already left the US and no-one there asked to see your passport before you left and so you didn't need to show it.
Old Jan 16th 2011, 2:46 pm
Just Joined

DenverDave is on a distinguished road

Great info - thank you!!!
Old Jan 16th 2011, 2:48 pm
Just Joined

DenverDave is on a distinguished road

Originally Posted by nettlebed
Because it can take hours to get through UK immigration if you arrive behind a couple of flights from Africa or India.
EXACTLY!!!
Old Jan 16th 2011, 2:50 pm
SUPER MODERATOR

Jerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond repute

I didn't think I'd need to spell this out...but what I meant was....

If you're a US citizen you better show a US passport when leaving the US if someone with the authority to see your passport actually asks to see it in the US before you leave. If no-one asks to see it, then obviously you don't need to show it. OK?

When you enter Canada by car, you've already left the US and no-one there asked to see your passport before you left and so you didn't need to show it.
We enter Canada by road approx once a month...we are always asked for our PPs...where we are going...what is the reason for our visit and how long we intend to be there. This wasn't always the case...a few years ago when when we crossed into Canada many times the IO didn't even look up at us...never mind look at our PPs.
Old Jan 16th 2011, 2:59 pm
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by Jerseygirl
We enter Canada by road approx once a month...we are always asked for our PPs...where we are going...what is the reason for our visit and how long we intend to be there. This wasn't always the case...a few years ago when when we crossed into Canada many times the IO didn't even look up at us...never mind look at our PPs.
You're confused by what I'm saying.

Please separate the LEAVING from the US part and the ENTERING into Canada part. It's easy to do this when flying because there are usually hours between leaving and entering. With driving, there are seconds or minutes and so you're combining the two events in your mind.

Let's say you're a dual UK/US citizen FLYING out of the US and into Canada. When you show a passport at the US airport, you're expected to show a US passport because you're a US citizen leaving the US. When you enter Canada, that's a separate event and you could in theory show either a US or a UK passport.

Now let's say you're a dual UK/US citizen DRIVING from the US into Canada. Chances are that no-one in the US is going to stop you to check your passport - so as a US citizen you don't have to show your US passport when leaving the US (unlike the flying scenario). When you get to Canada, of course you may be asked for a passport by the Canadian authorities -and again you can show either your US or UK passport.

The difference between the flying scenario and the driving scenario is the fact that, as a US citizen, you don't have to show a US passport when leaving (or, more accurately, before leaving) the US in a car.

Last edited by MarylandNed; Jan 16th 2011 at 4:47 pm.
Old Jan 16th 2011, 3:09 pm
SUPER MODERATOR

You're confused by what I'm saying.

Please separate the LEAVING from the US part with the ENTERING into Canada part. It's easy to do this when flying because there are usually hours between leaving and entering. With driving, there are seconds or minutes and so you're combining the two events in your mind.

Let's say you're a dual UK/US citizen FLYING out of the US and into Canada. When you show a passport at the US airport, you're expected to show a US passport because you're a US citizen leaving the US. When you enter Canada, that's a separate event and you could in theory show either a US or a UK passport.

Now let's say you're a dual UK/US citizen DRIVING from the US into Canada. Chances are that no-one in the US is going to stop you to check your passport - so as a US citizen you don't have to show your US passport when leaving the US (unlike the flying scenario). When you get to Canada, of course you may be asked for a passport by the Canadian authorities -and again you can show either your US or UK passport.

The difference between the flying scenario and the driving scenario is the fact that, as a US citizen, you don't have to show a US passport when leaving (or, more accurately, before leaving) the US in a car.
I realise that and you are correct...my mistake I should have said 'by road'. When leaving the US by car there are no stops...the first time you are stopped is at the Canadian border.
Old Jan 16th 2011, 3:30 pm
Bob
BE Site Lead

Bob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond repute

Well, yes - but that's stating the bleeding obvious. Any passport that anyone uses must be valid for the purpose of the trip.
Not every country is allowed without a visa, some countries aren't allowed to take part in the workers holiday visa...people with some criminal records aren't allowed to enter, that's the big one, ask Martha Stewart....that's when it is important.
Old Jan 16th 2011, 4:30 pm
Account Closed

ian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond repute

Actually US citizens are expected to show US passports when LEAVING or ENTERING the US.
Tell me something I don't know! There is no exit control in the US... so what difference?

Ian
Old Jan 16th 2011, 4:38 pm
Account Closed

ian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond repute

When you enter Canada by car, you've already left the US...
Actually, that depends where you cross the border. There are a number of border crossings where you enter Canada before actually departing US soil.

Ian
Old Jan 17th 2011, 2:56 am
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by ian-mstm
Tell me something I don't know! There is no exit control in the US... so what difference?

Ian
Rules are one thing - enforcement is another. Just because a rule isn't enforced doesn't mean you should break the rule. There could be consequences down the line. The fact is that US citizens are expected to use US passports at US airports when departing and arriving.
Old Jan 17th 2011, 2:59 am
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by ian-mstm
Actually, that depends where you cross the border. There are a number of border crossings where you enter Canada before actually departing US soil.

Ian
No - you might encounter Canadian immigration but you can't enter Canada without leaving US soil. I believe the Peace Bridge in Buffalo is one such place as I think you encounter Canadian immigration at the entrance to the bridge while the border is actually midway over the bridge.

However, my point was that by the time you reach Canadian immigration you are under no obligation to use a US passport if you are a dual US/UK citizen.
Old Jan 17th 2011, 3:56 am
Forum Regular

airways is a name known to allairways is a name known to allairways is a name known to allairways is a name known to allairways is a name known to allairways is a name known to allairways is a name known to allairways is a name known to allairways is a name known to allairways is a name known to allairways is a name known to all

Originally Posted by Bob
Not every country is allowed without a visa, some countries aren't allowed to take part in the workers holiday visa...people with some criminal records aren't allowed to enter, that's the big one, ask Martha Stewart....that's when it is important.
Whats the Martha Stewart story?
Old Jan 17th 2011, 4:41 am
Shocked of Redmond

nettlebed has a reputation beyond reputenettlebed has a reputation beyond reputenettlebed has a reputation beyond reputenettlebed has a reputation beyond reputenettlebed has a reputation beyond reputenettlebed has a reputation beyond reputenettlebed has a reputation beyond reputenettlebed has a reputation beyond reputenettlebed has a reputation beyond reputenettlebed has a reputation beyond reputenettlebed has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by airways
Whats the Martha Stewart story?
Martha Stewart is a convicted felon, and can't travel to Canada.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.