Travelling with both UK & USA passports

Wikiposts

Travelling with both UK & USA passports

Old Jan 16th 2011, 11:36 am
Just Joined

DenverDave is on a distinguished road
Default Travelling with both UK & USA passports

Hi All!

Quick question regarding passports. I hold dual citizenship (UK/US) and will be travelling to the UK in February - i'm a little confused as to which passport to use (?). I think it's US federal law for US citizens to exit/re-enter the US on a US passport, so I'm assuming I would leave on my US passport and then enter the UK on my British passport (I don't want to get held up with immigration on the UK side etc). On my return I'd leave the UK on my British passport and then re-enter the US on my US passport - is this OK?

Help/advice very much appreciated - cheers!
Dave
Old Jan 16th 2011, 11:49 am
Shocked of Redmond

nettlebed has a reputation beyond reputenettlebed has a reputation beyond reputenettlebed has a reputation beyond reputenettlebed has a reputation beyond reputenettlebed has a reputation beyond reputenettlebed has a reputation beyond reputenettlebed has a reputation beyond reputenettlebed has a reputation beyond reputenettlebed has a reputation beyond reputenettlebed has a reputation beyond reputenettlebed has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Travelling with both UK & USA passports

Originally Posted by DenverDave
Hi All!

Quick question regarding passports. I hold dual citizenship (UK/US) and will be travelling to the UK in February - i'm a little confused as to which passport to use (?). I think it's US federal law for US citizens to exit/re-enter the US on a US passport, so I'm assuming I would leave on my US passport and then enter the UK on my British passport (I don't want to get held up with immigration on the UK side etc). On my return I'd leave the UK on my British passport and then re-enter the US on my US passport - is this OK?

Dave
Yes.
Old Jan 16th 2011, 11:49 am
BE Forum Addict

Location: Maryland (via Belfast, Manchester, Toronto and London)
MarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond repute

Hi All!

Dave
Yes - that's exactly what my wife (a UK/US citizen) did 3 times in the last 18 months. I also hold UK/US citizenship but I just used my US passport as my UK passport had expired. There is no requirement for UK citizens to use UK passports when entering/exiting the UK.

Last edited by MarylandNed; Jan 16th 2011 at 11:52 am.
Old Jan 16th 2011, 12:00 pm

meauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond repute

Hi All!

Dave
I'm not sure where you show your UK passport to leave the UK. You will need to show your US passport when you check in for your flight; I think you need to stay American from then on.
Old Jan 16th 2011, 12:06 pm
Shocked of Redmond

nettlebed has a reputation beyond reputenettlebed has a reputation beyond reputenettlebed has a reputation beyond reputenettlebed has a reputation beyond reputenettlebed has a reputation beyond reputenettlebed has a reputation beyond reputenettlebed has a reputation beyond reputenettlebed has a reputation beyond reputenettlebed has a reputation beyond reputenettlebed has a reputation beyond reputenettlebed has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by meauxna
I'm not sure where you show your UK passport to leave the UK. You will need to show your US passport when you check in for your flight; I think you need to stay American from then on.
You need to go through passport control when you go airside, where you can actually use either passport. The only place where the UK passport confers a real advantage is at UK immigration.
Old Jan 16th 2011, 12:10 pm
SUPER MODERATOR

Jerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond repute

Hi All!

Dave
I do exactly what you have described...but I exit the UK using my US PP. A list of passengers including nationality etc is electronically sent to US authorities. If there is a discrepancy it could throw up a red flag...it may not but it could.
Old Jan 16th 2011, 12:17 pm
Bob
BE Site Lead

Bob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by MarylandNed
... There is no requirement for UK citizens to use UK passports when entering/exiting the UK.
As long as the passport they use is valid for the purpose of the trip, so for a holiday using the US passport is fine, anything longer and it becomes a hassle.
Old Jan 16th 2011, 12:17 pm
staying around

candy wy. has a reputation beyond reputecandy wy. has a reputation beyond reputecandy wy. has a reputation beyond reputecandy wy. has a reputation beyond reputecandy wy. has a reputation beyond reputecandy wy. has a reputation beyond reputecandy wy. has a reputation beyond reputecandy wy. has a reputation beyond reputecandy wy. has a reputation beyond reputecandy wy. has a reputation beyond reputecandy wy. has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Jerseygirl
I do exactly what you have described...but I exit the UK using my US PP. A list of passengers including nationality etc is electronically sent to US authorities. If there is a discrepancy it could throw up a red flag...it may not but it could.

when I went over in October I had ticket booked in name that was on UK passport
had a different name on USA passport when I checked in for the return flight I showed my UK passport I was then asked if I had a green card at which point showed USA passport had no problems with the different name ...
anyway point being have to show USA passport to show that you can enter USA..
Old Jan 16th 2011, 12:21 pm
Forum Regular

mwdake is a glorious beacon of lightmwdake is a glorious beacon of lightmwdake is a glorious beacon of lightmwdake is a glorious beacon of lightmwdake is a glorious beacon of lightmwdake is a glorious beacon of lightmwdake is a glorious beacon of lightmwdake is a glorious beacon of lightmwdake is a glorious beacon of lightmwdake is a glorious beacon of lightmwdake is a glorious beacon of light

I thought when you return and go through US Immigration they look for an Entry/Exit stamp from where you have been. If they don't see a UK entry stamp in your US passport and they realize you used your UK passport to get in to the UK then I think they frown on that and may tell you off. I am not sure what they can do about it; but, I think they like it better when you are a US citizen and you use your US passport coming and going.
Old Jan 16th 2011, 12:29 pm
Bob
BE Site Lead

Bob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by mwdake
I thought when you return and go through US Immigration they look for an Entry/Exit stamp from where you have been. If they don't see a UK entry stamp in your US passport and they realize you used your UK passport to get in to the UK then I think they frown on that and may tell you off. I am not sure what they can do about it; but, I think they like it better when you are a US citizen and you use your US passport coming and going.
They don't care and it's no concern of theirs.

To the US and its authorities, you have to act as a US citizen but else where you don't, but you can't ask the US to protect you if you get into trouble with the other countries you hold citizenships with.
Old Jan 16th 2011, 12:38 pm
SUPER MODERATOR

Jerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond repute

I've been through US imm. scores of times...never had a problem.
Old Jan 16th 2011, 1:05 pm
Just Joined

DenverDave is on a distinguished road

Thanks all - appreciated!!!

I'll leave on my US and then enter the UK on my UK passport so I can skip the lines at immigration - will then leave the UK on my US passport.

Have a great week - thanks again!!!!
Dave
Old Jan 16th 2011, 1:43 pm
Account Closed

ian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond repute

If they don't see a UK entry stamp in your US passport and they realize you used your UK passport to get in to the UK then I think they frown on that and may tell you off.
They can think what they like... it's not something they have control over. I suggest that if an officer "tells you off" you report him to his supervisor.

I think they like it better when you are a US citizen and you use your US passport coming and going.
Except for entering the US using your US passport, you are not obligated to use your US passport at all. They know it... and now, so do you! As I say... they can think what they like.

Ian
Old Jan 16th 2011, 1:47 pm
BE Forum Addict

Location: Maryland (via Belfast, Manchester, Toronto and London)
MarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond repute

As I said, my wife has done this 3 times in the last 18 months and had no problem at all.

I just asked her what she did. She said she showed her US passport when leaving the US, showed her UK passport when entering the UK, showed her US passport when leaving the UK (she said she showed her UK passport first but they asked questions when she didn't have an ESTA so she then showed her US passport), and finally showed her US passport when entering the US. No foreign stamp in the US passport - no problem.

I went with her on one of these trips. I only showed my US passport throughout as my UK passport had expired.
Old Jan 16th 2011, 1:51 pm
BE Forum Addict

ldyinlv has a reputation beyond reputeldyinlv has a reputation beyond reputeldyinlv has a reputation beyond reputeldyinlv has a reputation beyond reputeldyinlv has a reputation beyond reputeldyinlv has a reputation beyond reputeldyinlv has a reputation beyond reputeldyinlv has a reputation beyond reputeldyinlv has a reputation beyond reputeldyinlv has a reputation beyond reputeldyinlv has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by meauxna
Why not use your US passport period?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.