British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   USA (https://britishexpats.com/forum/usa-57/)
-   -   Travelling with a baby? FYI (https://britishexpats.com/forum/usa-57/travelling-baby-fyi-258923/)

Ash UK/US Oct 8th 2004 12:09 am

Travelling with a baby? FYI

Just to let anyone who is travelling to the UK with a baby know...

My daughter (9 months old) and I travelled back to the UK for a visit last monday, on my last trip in Feb my husband and I had our daughter sat on our laps but did not think it was very safe so on this visit we decided our daughter should have her own seat... anyhow I booked our tickets on United from grand rapids to teesside via heathrow... (the heathrow to teesside flight being on BMI). My daughter was not able to sit in the seat we had paid for on the Heathrow to Teesside flight because her US car Seat is not seen as being safe for use on airplanes. The civil aviation authority does not allow rear facing car seats to be used on airplanes and my daughter is not old enough or big enough to sit in a forward facing car seat yet... so she ended up sitting on my lap anyway. I am not sure how this effects british companies such as BA or Virgin just thought I would let any one thinking about buying a seat for a baby.

Ash

dgsyd1 Oct 8th 2004 3:27 am

Re: Travelling with a baby? FYI

We're travelling from Detroit to Heathrow next month with BA, not sure how this will effect us. We've paid for an extra seat, and we are planning to but a carseat that is front facing (our son will be just under 9 months old, and this is his first time on a plane). All the info I got from the BA website says that we have to have him in out lap for takeoff and landing only.
Thanks for the info though, i'll look into it some more before we go.

Daniel

Bob Oct 8th 2004 4:19 am

Originally Posted by dgsyd1
We're travelling from Detroit to Heathrow next month with BA, not sure how this will effect us. We've paid for an extra seat, and we are planning to but a carseat that is front facing (our son will be just under 9 months old, and this is his first time on a plane). All the info I got from the BA website says that we have to have him in out lap for takeoff and landing only.

Can't really help, but do know, from UK side of things, if child isn't on own seat, the plane just won't take off...so really would be worth finding out before hand...

Ash UK/US Oct 8th 2004 10:16 am

Originally Posted by dgsyd1

Daniel

Emily was sat in her car seat for landing and take off on both of the United flights but that is probably different for british flights too. To me it was so worth getting the extra seat...Emily slept 5 hours on the long flight it was great that she could sleep without being distrubed.

Ash

Manc Oct 8th 2004 11:23 am

Southwest has regular rear facing seats on some of their planes.

if it's good for them, what's wrong with it in the UK?

Ash, hope your having a good time, you ain't missing much in Michigan that's for sure. (well apart from the piss up tomorow night)

Ben Oct 8th 2004 11:44 am

Proabably the same reason why other safety regulations regarding children and seatbelts in some states aren't as strict as in the UK, Manc.:)

I know virgin provide a cot for young babies. I saw this on a flight where two families, with a baby each, were sat where there is the extra leg room and no seats in front of them (can't remember the name of where you call this on the plane). anyway, there were special drop down tables where a special sleeping box was strapped to it for the baby to sleep for the journey. For taking off and landing the whole thing was put away and the babies were having to be held. It had obviously been specially made for this purpose and looked very safe. I wouldn't have thought, though, that a baby of 9 months would be able to use it though, unless he/she was particularly small.

Englishmum Oct 8th 2004 11:57 am

I was out with a South African friend last night and she told me that when she flies home for a long visit next month her husband will have to travel with her....airlines won't allow parents to fly alone with more than one child under the age of two for safety reasons. She did add though that she wouldn't be able to cope with the thought of flying from the US to SA with two little ones on her own!

There is a thread here about flying with young children on BA - it seems that you can book their own child seats in advance but it's first come-first served:

http://www.expatsingapore.com/ubb/Fo...ML/003187.html

Also this website might be useful:

http://www.flyingwithkids.com

ironporer Oct 8th 2004 12:41 pm

Originally Posted by Ben
Proabably the same reason why other safety regulations regarding children and seatbelts in some states aren't as strict as in the UK, Manc.:)

I know virgin provide a cot for young babies. I saw this on a flight where two families, with a baby each, were sat where there is the extra leg room and no seats in front of them (can't remember the name of where you call this on the plane). anyway, there were special drop down tables where a special sleeping box was strapped to it for the baby to sleep for the journey. For taking off and landing the whole thing was put away and the babies were having to be held. It had obviously been specially made for this purpose and looked very safe. I wouldn't have thought, though, that a baby of 9 months would be able to use it though, unless he/she was particularly small.

Cathy went bacck to Spain last week and said Iberia had the same 'cribs' for infants...but that the fat assed woman seated in front of the crib seats would not give up her seat (she had no baby) so Cathy and Paul could have it- even though we paid about $160 more just for a "lap seat".

Ash UK/US Oct 8th 2004 3:19 pm

I thought it was stupid... I was really pissed about the whole thing. I could hold my daugter on my lap with a child belt around her and it then attached to my belt. SHe could lean forward and rest her head against the seat in front and undid the seat belt twice! that is safer than her being sat in a new car seat with a 5 point harness (goes over the shoulder then fastens across the chest then buckles up with a strap that comes up between the legs) the car seat has 2 groves that the airplane seat belt slip through to hold the car seat down to the airplane seat... but that is not as safe as her being on my lap :rolleyes: WTF!!! CAA seems a little backward in that if you ask me.

Ash :)

Ash UK/US Oct 8th 2004 3:25 pm

Originally Posted by Manc
Ash, hope your having a good time, you ain't missing much in Michigan that's for sure. (well apart from the piss up tomorow night)

It is great seeing everyone and my parents are having a great time with Emily (my daughter). One thing I am missing is american customer service... English customer service is a disgrace.

Manc Oct 8th 2004 3:27 pm

Originally Posted by Ash UK/US
It is great seeing everyone and my parents are having a great time with Emily (my daughter). One thing I am missing is american customer service... English customer service is a disgrace.

Sorry, missed that, just was out getting a coffee free refill.

Manc Oct 8th 2004 3:30 pm

oooh and it's pissing down. :)

Ash UK/US Oct 8th 2004 4:15 pm

Originally Posted by Manc
oooh and it's pissing down. :)

Actually... I got here tuesday and it is now late thursday and it has NOT rained once. :scared: weird huh