Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

travelling around New York and NJ

travelling around New York and NJ

Old Aug 1st 2008, 7:13 pm
Forum Regular

runningbird is just really nicerunningbird is just really nicerunningbird is just really nicerunningbird is just really nicerunningbird is just really nicerunningbird is just really nicerunningbird is just really nicerunningbird is just really nicerunningbird is just really nicerunningbird is just really nice
Default travelling around New York and NJ

Hello all

any New York residents out there willing to shed their 2 pence worth on a question i have?

we are going to NY in a couple of weeks for a christening and have decided to make a bit of a trip out of it even though the money in the pot is tight.

We fly into JFK (not ideal but airmiles are paying and i have booked a hotel for the first night which has a free shuttle from the airport. this is in the Jamacia area and im hoping on a subway line.
For the rest of the trip we are staying in New Jersey at a friends house but will want to go into Manhatten etc..

so my question is - does the subway go out to NJ? and if so can you buy travel cards like you could for London?
If you need to get an overland train - do you get it from Union Station

thanks muchly
Old Aug 1st 2008, 7:19 pm
Not here much

neil has a reputation beyond reputeneil has a reputation beyond reputeneil has a reputation beyond reputeneil has a reputation beyond reputeneil has a reputation beyond reputeneil has a reputation beyond reputeneil has a reputation beyond reputeneil has a reputation beyond reputeneil has a reputation beyond reputeneil has a reputation beyond reputeneil has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: travelling around New York and NJ

Originally Posted by runningbird
Hello all

any New York residents out there willing to shed their 2 pence worth on a question i have?

we are going to NY in a couple of weeks for a christening and have decided to make a bit of a trip out of it even though the money in the pot is tight.

We fly into JFK (not ideal but airmiles are paying and i have booked a hotel for the first night which has a free shuttle from the airport. this is in the Jamacia area and im hoping on a subway line.
For the rest of the trip we are staying in New Jersey at a friends house but will want to go into Manhatten etc..

so my question is - does the subway go out to NJ? and if so can you buy travel cards like you could for London?
If you need to get an overland train - do you get it from Union Station

thanks muchly
Depends where in NJ - take a look at www.njtransit.com and http://www.panynj.gov/CommutingTrave.../html/map.html
Old Aug 1st 2008, 7:32 pm

penguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond repute

Penn Station services most of NJ
Grand Central Services Long Island and CT

more or less, with a few exceptions to both. They are not all that far apart (there is a shuttle subway between them).

You can take the Subway from the JFK/Jamaica area to Manhattan, but it is probably about 45 to an hour. I think there is a train as well that connects from Jamaica (LIRR).

It's probably what, $50-$60 for a cab (I'm guessing as it used to be $45 a few years ago).
Old Aug 1st 2008, 7:33 pm
Forum Regular

runningbird is just really nicerunningbird is just really nicerunningbird is just really nicerunningbird is just really nicerunningbird is just really nicerunningbird is just really nicerunningbird is just really nicerunningbird is just really nicerunningbird is just really nicerunningbird is just really nice

Originally Posted by neil
Thank you Neil - that is perfect and i can see that Journal Square is going to be the closest and that connects to the world trade area

Old Aug 1st 2008, 7:36 pm
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by penguinsix

more or less, with a few exceptions to both. They are not all that far apart (there is a shuttle subway between them).

You can take the Subway from the JFK/Jamaica area to Manhattan, but it is probably about 45 to an hour. I think there is a train as well that connects from Jamaica (LIRR).

It's probably what, $50-$60 for a cab (I'm guessing as it used to be $45 a few years ago).
yes thats what a i was thinking about the cab - it was '98 that i was there last so i am expecting it to be about $60 now

I really don't mind taking the subway however long it takes

The Christening is in the bronx and then the party after on City Island so im hoping others will drive

Should be fun
Old Aug 1st 2008, 8:18 pm
Concierge

Rete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by penguinsix
Actually if you are talking railroad then Grand Central serves Connecticut, Westchester County and northward

Penn Station serves New Jersey and Long Island

which sucks big time

You can get a JFK shuttle into Manhattan and also a subway. Or if you are in Jamaica you can take the Long Island Railroad.

If you are using the subway system you can get a Metrocard for a specific amount or a specific number of rides.
Old Aug 1st 2008, 8:20 pm
Concierge

Rete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond repute

yes thats what a i was thinking about the cab - it was '98 that i was there last so i am expecting it to be about $60 now

I really don't mind taking the subway however long it takes

The Christening is in the bronx and then the party after on City Island so im hoping others will drive

Should be fun

You will enjoy City Island and I'm assuming that the Christening will probably be in the Pelham Park/Bay area of the Bronx. Also a nice section of the borough. Which restaurant are they having the party at?
Old Aug 1st 2008, 9:47 pm
Diamond Geezer

Ridski has a reputation beyond reputeRidski has a reputation beyond reputeRidski has a reputation beyond reputeRidski has a reputation beyond reputeRidski has a reputation beyond reputeRidski has a reputation beyond reputeRidski has a reputation beyond reputeRidski has a reputation beyond reputeRidski has a reputation beyond reputeRidski has a reputation beyond reputeRidski has a reputation beyond repute

Thank you Neil - that is perfect and i can see that Journal Square is going to be the closest and that connects to the world trade area

If you're going to Journal Square, make sure to get the Pay Per Ride Metrocard, and not the Unlimited Ride (weekly or monthly) one. You'll be able to get more than one person through the turnstiles on the same card, and you can use it on the PATH trains to Jersey City, which you can't do on the Unlimited.
Old Aug 2nd 2008, 2:10 am
trout pout

looselips is a glorious beacon of lightlooselips is a glorious beacon of lightlooselips is a glorious beacon of lightlooselips is a glorious beacon of lightlooselips is a glorious beacon of lightlooselips is a glorious beacon of lightlooselips is a glorious beacon of lightlooselips is a glorious beacon of lightlooselips is a glorious beacon of lightlooselips is a glorious beacon of lightlooselips is a glorious beacon of light

Originally Posted by Ridski
If you're going to Journal Square, make sure to get the Pay Per Ride Metrocard, and not the Unlimited Ride (weekly or monthly) one. You'll be able to get more than one person through the turnstiles on the same card, and you can use it on the PATH trains to Jersey City, which you can't do on the Unlimited.
What he said ].
Old Aug 2nd 2008, 4:57 am
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by Rete
You will enjoy City Island and I'm assuming that the Christening will probably be in the Pelham Park/Bay area of the Bronx. Also a nice section of the borough. Which restaurant are they having the party at?
Its at the Stuyvesant Yacht club ?!! which sounds like it will be lovely and the ceremony is in a Roman Catholic church on Harding Ave

thanks for all the info - im really looking forward to it all
Old Aug 2nd 2008, 4:58 am
Forum Regular

thanks for all your great info everyone. This will certinally make the trip a bit easier on the pocket and actually more fun no doubt
Old Aug 2nd 2008, 5:31 pm
BE Enthusiast

pejpm1 has a reputation beyond reputepejpm1 has a reputation beyond reputepejpm1 has a reputation beyond reputepejpm1 has a reputation beyond reputepejpm1 has a reputation beyond reputepejpm1 has a reputation beyond reputepejpm1 has a reputation beyond reputepejpm1 has a reputation beyond reputepejpm1 has a reputation beyond reputepejpm1 has a reputation beyond reputepejpm1 has a reputation beyond repute

thanks for all your great info everyone. This will certinally make the trip a bit easier on the pocket and actually more fun no doubt

Staying in those places will definitely make it more interesting! I speak to so many tourists who come over here and for some reason they all want to stay near Times Square which along with Leicester Square in London is probably the worst place I could imagine staying. You'll definitely see more of the real New York.
Old Aug 3rd 2008, 12:18 am
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by pejpm1
Staying in those places will definitely make it more interesting! I speak to so many tourists who come over here and for some reason they all want to stay near Times Square which along with Leicester Square in London is probably the worst place I could imagine staying. You'll definitely see more of the real New York.
This is exactly what i want to do... i live in the US so i want to experience other states/cities as a citizen not a bloody tourist.
I'm sure we will go to Manhatten and wander Central Park a little but its not the main attraction for me
Old Aug 3rd 2008, 11:25 am
Not here much

neil has a reputation beyond reputeneil has a reputation beyond reputeneil has a reputation beyond reputeneil has a reputation beyond reputeneil has a reputation beyond reputeneil has a reputation beyond reputeneil has a reputation beyond reputeneil has a reputation beyond reputeneil has a reputation beyond reputeneil has a reputation beyond reputeneil has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Ridski
Depending on where near Journal Square you'd probably want to make sure you get a cab to and from the station too, unless you know you won't have to walk through some dodgy areas. My wife used to live near there and cabs often didn't want to take her to where she lived - she lived on a nice street in the middle of some not so nice ones.
Old Aug 4th 2008, 3:24 pm
Diamond Geezer

Ridski has a reputation beyond reputeRidski has a reputation beyond reputeRidski has a reputation beyond reputeRidski has a reputation beyond reputeRidski has a reputation beyond reputeRidski has a reputation beyond reputeRidski has a reputation beyond reputeRidski has a reputation beyond reputeRidski has a reputation beyond reputeRidski has a reputation beyond reputeRidski has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by neil
Depending on where near Journal Square you'd probably want to make sure you get a cab to and from the station too, unless you know you won't have to walk through some dodgy areas. My wife used to live near there and cabs often didn't want to take her to where she lived - she lived on a nice street in the middle of some not so nice ones.
Oh, hell yeah. Jersey City is up and coming, but there's still plenty of dodgy areas, some of which are on the same block. It was so dodgy, I decided to move to Queens, rather than live there...

Edit: Though I'm sure your friend lives in a lovely place!