Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

travelling with a 2 year old alone

travelling with a 2 year old alone

Old Jan 8th 2009, 3:47 pm
Forum Regular

cosmicgirl is just really nicecosmicgirl is just really nicecosmicgirl is just really nicecosmicgirl is just really nicecosmicgirl is just really nicecosmicgirl is just really nicecosmicgirl is just really nicecosmicgirl is just really nice
Default travelling with a 2 year old alone

I am thinking of going back to the Uk in May with my 2 year old but am worried about doing it on my own. Anyone done it and have a positive experience? Have done it 3 times with hubby just nervoues about doing it on my own.
Old Jan 8th 2009, 3:57 pm
BE Forum Addict

The Horticulturalist has a reputation beyond reputeThe Horticulturalist has a reputation beyond reputeThe Horticulturalist has a reputation beyond reputeThe Horticulturalist has a reputation beyond reputeThe Horticulturalist has a reputation beyond reputeThe Horticulturalist has a reputation beyond reputeThe Horticulturalist has a reputation beyond reputeThe Horticulturalist has a reputation beyond reputeThe Horticulturalist has a reputation beyond reputeThe Horticulturalist has a reputation beyond reputeThe Horticulturalist has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: travelling with a 2 year old alone

I have not done it alone, but I think you'll be fine, especially if they have their own seat.

try and get a direct flight would be my advice, to avoid the painful hanging around in airports. Hope it goes well!
Old Jan 8th 2009, 4:00 pm
BE Enthusiast

Longy is a splendid one to beholdLongy is a splendid one to beholdLongy is a splendid one to beholdLongy is a splendid one to beholdLongy is a splendid one to beholdLongy is a splendid one to beholdLongy is a splendid one to beholdLongy is a splendid one to beholdLongy is a splendid one to beholdLongy is a splendid one to beholdLongy is a splendid one to behold

Originally Posted by cosmicgirl
I am thinking of going back to the Uk in May with my 2 year old but am worried about doing it on my own. Anyone done it and have a positive experience? Have done it 3 times with hubby just nervoues about doing it on my own.
If the child is a USC, it is probably advised to get a letter from your husband saying you have permission to take him/her out of the country
Old Jan 8th 2009, 4:05 pm
The Kwisatz Haderach

Mummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond repute

I did it alone when my oldest was 18mths then 2 then 2.5, it's not that bad. Gate check the pushchair, stuff all your carry on in a backpack, and make sure you have some reins to get through when he wants to walk a bit.
I also used to put little toys that he had never seen before in the bag wrapped in a bit of tissue paper and let him open one about every hour or so if he got restless. Us the car seat on the plane if you can (I only did this once as getting it through the airport was hard on my own)
Or you could get theses http://www.amazon.com/Go-Kidz-Travel.../dp/B000JJK9EY
and use it as a stroller in the airport and check the pushchair with the suitcases.
Old Jan 8th 2009, 4:09 pm
Chocoholic !

ChocolateBabz has a reputation beyond reputeChocolateBabz has a reputation beyond reputeChocolateBabz has a reputation beyond reputeChocolateBabz has a reputation beyond reputeChocolateBabz has a reputation beyond reputeChocolateBabz has a reputation beyond reputeChocolateBabz has a reputation beyond reputeChocolateBabz has a reputation beyond reputeChocolateBabz has a reputation beyond reputeChocolateBabz has a reputation beyond reputeChocolateBabz has a reputation beyond repute

Did UK - Houston with 9 year old which is a bit different cos at least he could amuse himself for a while. I would suggest that you plug them into tv for as long as it will hold their interest. Take books, crayons & paper and small games/toys that they can play. If you have room in your carry on 'surprise treats' that you can pull out when he/she gets antsy - even wrapping them up if you are that organised as those extra few minutes opening them will help. And if possible get a flight time when you think they might go for a nap.

I did UK-Florida when my son was 10 months and then 2 1/2 but had hubby with me so we could take shifts and agree it is easier with 2. Maybe a wee drink for mum on the plane will relax you ?
Old Jan 8th 2009, 4:45 pm
N99sea

naomi has a reputation beyond reputenaomi has a reputation beyond reputenaomi has a reputation beyond reputenaomi has a reputation beyond reputenaomi has a reputation beyond reputenaomi has a reputation beyond reputenaomi has a reputation beyond reputenaomi has a reputation beyond reputenaomi has a reputation beyond reputenaomi has a reputation beyond reputenaomi has a reputation beyond repute

I've traveled to England with my young daughter on my own. It was a lot of work, but was worth it. Few tips:

--At 2, I would definitely recommend taking a car seat for the plane. It helps keep them restrained, they can wiggle right out of the lap belt at that age. It is a pain carrying it through the airport, but is still worth it. You can always get a small luggage cart/wheels.
--Obviously tons of toys, snacks, DVD player etc (although at 2 my daughter wasn't that into movies, at 5 it's a different story...)
--You will need to take a lot of "calm" with you. My daughter had a huge tantrum on the plane, worst she's ever had. It seemed to go on forever, but was probably only about 3 minutes. It was due to lack of nap.
--I did take a letter from my husband for customs, although I didn't need to show it.

Naomi.