Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

Travelling 2 UK 4 9mths with son....

Travelling 2 UK 4 9mths with son....

Old Mar 14th 2008, 7:54 pm
Just Joined

Tricialc is just really niceTricialc is just really niceTricialc is just really niceTricialc is just really niceTricialc is just really niceTricialc is just really niceTricialc is just really niceTricialc is just really nice
Default Travelling 2 UK 4 9mths with son....

Hi there

Can anyone advise me on the following:
I am a British citizen living in the US.
I am going back to the UK for 9 mths or so to look after a relative and am taking my 10th old son.
He has a US passport - does he need a visa? Or British passport?
My husband is taking the trip over with us for a few days, so we shouldn't need a permission letter from the other parent.

Thanks Guys.
Old Mar 14th 2008, 8:17 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Bluegrass Lass has a reputation beyond reputeBluegrass Lass has a reputation beyond reputeBluegrass Lass has a reputation beyond reputeBluegrass Lass has a reputation beyond reputeBluegrass Lass has a reputation beyond reputeBluegrass Lass has a reputation beyond reputeBluegrass Lass has a reputation beyond reputeBluegrass Lass has a reputation beyond reputeBluegrass Lass has a reputation beyond reputeBluegrass Lass has a reputation beyond reputeBluegrass Lass has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Travelling 2 UK 4 9mths with son....

Originally Posted by Tricialc View Post
Hi there

I am going back to the UK for 9 mths or so to look after a relative and am taking my 10th old son.
My husband is taking the trip over with us for a few days, so we shouldn't need a permission letter from the other parent.

Thanks Guys.
Hmm. AFAIK, if your son is a UKC, he would need a UK passport to stay in the country that long. Otherwise, if he entered on his US passport, I think the longest he could stay is 6mo (w/out a visa). But I'm not 100% certain of this so I hope someone else can pipe up with a definitive answer!
Old Mar 14th 2008, 8:20 pm
I'm off to find a spanner

sime303 has a reputation beyond reputesime303 has a reputation beyond reputesime303 has a reputation beyond reputesime303 has a reputation beyond reputesime303 has a reputation beyond reputesime303 has a reputation beyond reputesime303 has a reputation beyond reputesime303 has a reputation beyond reputesime303 has a reputation beyond reputesime303 has a reputation beyond reputesime303 has a reputation beyond repute

Check with your nearest consulate in the US on what you would need for your son to stay that long in the UK.

http://www.britainusa.com/sections/a...=41016&a=26237
Old Mar 14th 2008, 8:57 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Duncan Roberts has a reputation beyond reputeDuncan Roberts has a reputation beyond reputeDuncan Roberts has a reputation beyond reputeDuncan Roberts has a reputation beyond reputeDuncan Roberts has a reputation beyond reputeDuncan Roberts has a reputation beyond reputeDuncan Roberts has a reputation beyond reputeDuncan Roberts has a reputation beyond reputeDuncan Roberts has a reputation beyond reputeDuncan Roberts has a reputation beyond reputeDuncan Roberts has a reputation beyond repute

Hi there

Thanks Guys.
Also, depending on your status in the US you may need to do things in order to get back.
Old Mar 14th 2008, 11:52 pm

penguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond repute

Couple of good points here.

a) your son is going to need 1) a UK passport to stay in the UK that long or b) a visa to stay that long. The visa waiver he gets by walking in with a US passport only lasts 90 - 180 days, so with 9 months he would be an overstay.

b) short of being a citizen, if you leave for 9 months, you may encounter problems upon your return if you do not plan ahead. Even if you have a green card, there is a presumption that you have abandoned your US residence if you are gone > 6 months (this can be trumped by proof you have a house, paid bills, kept bank accounts, and show that you were caring for someone). You might also want to look at applying for a .... can't remember ... but it allows you to leave the US with a green card for a period of time without losing you resident status.

c) If you are currently waiting for US citizenship, the 9 month stay overseas is going to 'reset the clock' as you are not supposed to be out of country > 6 months during your 3 / 5 year period pre-citizenship.
Old Mar 15th 2008, 4:17 pm
BE Forum Addict

Ash UK/US has a reputation beyond reputeAsh UK/US has a reputation beyond reputeAsh UK/US has a reputation beyond reputeAsh UK/US has a reputation beyond reputeAsh UK/US has a reputation beyond reputeAsh UK/US has a reputation beyond reputeAsh UK/US has a reputation beyond reputeAsh UK/US has a reputation beyond reputeAsh UK/US has a reputation beyond reputeAsh UK/US has a reputation beyond reputeAsh UK/US has a reputation beyond repute

[FONT="Arial Narrow"]Hi there

Your son should be able to get a british passport and end overstay/ visa problems of course that would take a little while to obtain.
Old Mar 15th 2008, 5:05 pm
Just Joined

Tricialc is just really niceTricialc is just really niceTricialc is just really niceTricialc is just really niceTricialc is just really niceTricialc is just really niceTricialc is just really niceTricialc is just really nice

I really appreciate all the advice.
I am in the process of applying for his British passport, but had no idea about the trip upsetting my status. I think it might be a re-entry permit I have to apply for?
There is so much to think about!
Old Mar 15th 2008, 11:43 pm
Concierge

Rete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond repute

I really appreciate all the advice.
I am in the process of applying for his British passport, but had no idea about the trip upsetting my status. I think it might be a re-entry permit I have to apply for?
There is so much to think about!

You posted this same post in the immigration visa forums. As you were told there, you should apply for the re-entry permit via form I-131. It takes about 3 months to get. BUT ... you don't have to wait for it to arrive. You have to apply for it before you leave and whoever you leave at home can mail it to you where you are staying in the UK. It is recommended that you have one simply because it anything happens on your trip and you are not able to return to the US within one year, you might be considered to have abandoned your residency status.
Old Mar 17th 2008, 5:59 pm

meauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Rete View Post
You have to apply for it before you leave and whoever you leave at home can mail it to you where you are staying in the UK.
Re-entry permits that have been applied for (properly) while the PR is still in the US can be sent to a US Embassy or Consulate abroad.