Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

Travellers Cheques vs ATM card

Travellers Cheques vs ATM card

Old May 16th 2011, 8:10 pm
Bob
BE Site Lead

Bob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Travellers Cheques vs ATM card

Originally Posted by penguinbar
When you swipe a card on a restaurant computer you only have the option of choosing what type of credit card it is.Amex, Master, Discover.etc. Not gift or debit. It happens with gift cards all the time.
Hmmm....I obviously don't go out all that much...but been given the option in the few places around here that I've been to. Saying that, mostly pub type places where you swipe at the bar with those machines you usually see at the grocery store type of thing.

The only issue I've had with gift cards is on the petrol pump and have had to pre-pay inside with the gift option.
Old May 16th 2011, 11:32 pm

penguinbar has a reputation beyond reputepenguinbar has a reputation beyond reputepenguinbar has a reputation beyond reputepenguinbar has a reputation beyond reputepenguinbar has a reputation beyond reputepenguinbar has a reputation beyond reputepenguinbar has a reputation beyond reputepenguinbar has a reputation beyond reputepenguinbar has a reputation beyond reputepenguinbar has a reputation beyond reputepenguinbar has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Bob
Hmmm....I obviously don't go out all that much...but been given the option in the few places around here that I've been to. Saying that, mostly pub type places where you swipe at the bar with those machines you usually see at the grocery store type of thing.

The only issue I've had with gift cards is on the petrol pump and have had to pre-pay inside with the gift option.
I know what you are talking about. I haven't used one in quite a few years. If you look at the fine print on alot of the cards it does mention about authorising more for gratuity. It's so small most people don't notice.
Old May 17th 2011, 1:17 am
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by penguinbar
FYI if you do by a prepaid card and use it in a bar and/or restaurant in the US the issuing company automatically does an approval for a gratuity even if you are not putting the gratuity on the card. So if you have want to pay a $100 check with a $100 prepaid card (say AMEX)it will most probably be declined because they will figure in approval of at least $115 dollars. This has happened several times over the years in bars/restaurants that I have worked in. I always explain this to tourists and they are not very happy about it.
Its not the processing companies but the restaurants and bars that program their systems to authorize for more then the bill in the anticipation the customer will leave a tip.

The banks and companies who issue the cards could care less about tips.
Old May 17th 2011, 1:53 am

penguinbar has a reputation beyond reputepenguinbar has a reputation beyond reputepenguinbar has a reputation beyond reputepenguinbar has a reputation beyond reputepenguinbar has a reputation beyond reputepenguinbar has a reputation beyond reputepenguinbar has a reputation beyond reputepenguinbar has a reputation beyond reputepenguinbar has a reputation beyond reputepenguinbar has a reputation beyond reputepenguinbar has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Jsmth321
Its not the processing companies but the restaurants and bars that program their systems to authorize for more then the bill in the anticipation the customer will leave a tip.

The banks and companies who issue the cards could care less about tips.
It is mentioned in fine print about restaurants on most gift/prepaid cards. Whether it is from the card or merchant it will most probably be declined if this situation happens. The same happens with a regular credit card but since most people have more than the amount of the bill plus gratuity on the card it wouldn't (usually)get declined. I am just trying to save them from any possible issues.