Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

Travelled much in the States?

Travelled much in the States?

Old May 14th 2012, 3:48 pm
Forum Regular

arran29 will become famous soon enough
Default Re: Travelled much in the States?

well husband and I landed in Florida when I got my visa (after 4 long years) and we travelled about intending to buy a cheap foreclosure. In the end we didn't and settled and rented and went to college. We went to Florida, Georgia, South Carolina, flew to Nevada, then went back and forth between Colorado, Utah, Idaho, Wyoming,California,Washington,Oregon,Texas,Arizona ,Oklahoma,Kansas,
New Mexico. Also been to New York state and changed planes twice in Philadelphia.
Old May 14th 2012, 4:02 pm

Yorkieabroad has a reputation beyond reputeYorkieabroad has a reputation beyond reputeYorkieabroad has a reputation beyond reputeYorkieabroad has a reputation beyond reputeYorkieabroad has a reputation beyond reputeYorkieabroad has a reputation beyond reputeYorkieabroad has a reputation beyond reputeYorkieabroad has a reputation beyond reputeYorkieabroad has a reputation beyond reputeYorkieabroad has a reputation beyond reputeYorkieabroad has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by tonrob
I'd say that it was the state of evacuation that matters, although there's always some chancer out there that's trying to game the system.
So what do airlines do with their "waste"? Is it true they "pump out" at altitude, or is that just an urban myth? I've flown across the states a few times.......I might be heading for a "bingo" here....
Old May 14th 2012, 4:04 pm

Yorkieabroad has a reputation beyond reputeYorkieabroad has a reputation beyond reputeYorkieabroad has a reputation beyond reputeYorkieabroad has a reputation beyond reputeYorkieabroad has a reputation beyond reputeYorkieabroad has a reputation beyond reputeYorkieabroad has a reputation beyond reputeYorkieabroad has a reputation beyond reputeYorkieabroad has a reputation beyond reputeYorkieabroad has a reputation beyond reputeYorkieabroad has a reputation beyond repute

If I was in charge I'd just fill it in.
Solve a few unemployment issues............and landfill site issues........hmmmm
Old May 14th 2012, 4:13 pm
Septic Sprout

tonrob has a reputation beyond reputetonrob has a reputation beyond reputetonrob has a reputation beyond reputetonrob has a reputation beyond reputetonrob has a reputation beyond reputetonrob has a reputation beyond reputetonrob has a reputation beyond reputetonrob has a reputation beyond reputetonrob has a reputation beyond reputetonrob has a reputation beyond reputetonrob has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Yorkieabroad
So what do airlines do with their "waste"? Is it true they "pump out" at altitude, or is that just an urban myth? I've flown across the states a few times.......I might be heading for a "bingo" here....
Sorry to rain on your parade. Or not.

http://science.howstuffworks.com/tra...uestion314.htm
Old May 14th 2012, 4:14 pm
I have a comma problem

SultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond repute

Hardly at all, actually

The only two states I have spent any length of time in are Illinois (where I live) and Wisconsin. On the way to move here I spent a good eight hours at Newark International Airport. That is a thoroughly depressing place, makes me almost like O'Hare. I saw the NY skyline on approach, though (even though that doesn't count ...)

Up in Canada I stayed a week with my mate up in Hines Creek, Alberta and we drove around Fort St. John and Dawson Creek, BC while I was up there. Lots of airport stops that trip though, on the way out I flew Milwaukee - Toronto - Calgary - Grande Prairie, AB (then a 90 minute drive to Hines Creek ). On the way back, Grande Prairie - Edmonton - Winnipeg - Toronto - Milwaukee. Loved it though, Air Canana kicks serious arse as far as IFE on their Airbuses/Embraer mid-haul jets
Old May 14th 2012, 4:16 pm

Sorry to rain on your parade. Or not.

http://science.howstuffworks.com/tra...uestion314.htm
Hmm, that just gets the stuff out of the toilet....doesn't say what happens to it after that....
Old May 14th 2012, 4:31 pm
Concierge

Rete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond repute

I've spent time (not passing thru) in:

Florida
Nevada
California
Maine
New Hampshire
Vermont
Massachusetts
Rhode Island
Virginia
Mississippi
Louisiana
North Carolina
Georgia
Washington D.C.
Maryland
Delaware
Pennsylvania
Connecticut
New Jersey
Alaska

Canada:
Nova Scotia
Quebec
Ontario
Old May 14th 2012, 4:39 pm
I have a comma problem

SultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond repute

Bloody hell - look at all the states everyone's been to. I suck

We do plan to travel the US more, seriously, what's the point in living here if I'm going to spend the whole time in bloody Illinois and Wisconsin?

On the list, for me anyway, are New England (a lot of those old 'colonial' states in the Northeast appeal to me for various reasons, actually, so extend to include New York state, PA and DC); the Southwest and the PNW. Also, Yellowstone.

Maybe one day ...
Old May 14th 2012, 4:53 pm
Septic Sprout

tonrob has a reputation beyond reputetonrob has a reputation beyond reputetonrob has a reputation beyond reputetonrob has a reputation beyond reputetonrob has a reputation beyond reputetonrob has a reputation beyond reputetonrob has a reputation beyond reputetonrob has a reputation beyond reputetonrob has a reputation beyond reputetonrob has a reputation beyond reputetonrob has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Yorkieabroad
Hmm, that just gets the stuff out of the toilet....doesn't say what happens to it after that....
Au contraire...

Airplane toilets use an active vacuum instead of a passive siphon, and they are therefore called vacuum toilets. When you flush, it opens a valve in the sewer line, and the vacuum in the line sucks the contents out of the bowl and into a tank.
Bolding mine.
Old May 14th 2012, 4:54 pm
Septic Sprout

Originally Posted by SultanOfSwing
Bloody hell - look at all the states everyone's been to. I suck

We do plan to travel the US more, seriously, what's the point in living here if I'm going to spend the whole time in bloody Illinois and Wisconsin?

On the list, for me anyway, are New England (a lot of those old 'colonial' states in the Northeast appeal to me for various reasons, actually, so extend to include New York state, PA and DC); the Southwest and the PNW. Also, Yellowstone.

Maybe one day ...
I'll buy you a beer if you ever head over this way. Or you can buy me one.

(I'm liking the second option better).
Old May 14th 2012, 5:20 pm

Au contraire...

Bolding mine.
OK, guess I'll have to get driving then..............
Old May 14th 2012, 5:32 pm
BE Forum Addict

Scouse Express has a reputation beyond reputeScouse Express has a reputation beyond reputeScouse Express has a reputation beyond reputeScouse Express has a reputation beyond reputeScouse Express has a reputation beyond reputeScouse Express has a reputation beyond reputeScouse Express has a reputation beyond reputeScouse Express has a reputation beyond reputeScouse Express has a reputation beyond reputeScouse Express has a reputation beyond reputeScouse Express has a reputation beyond repute

Airlines dump their Human waste into a Holding Tank, unless you fly "Yorkshire Airlines" - LOL

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Rm6VC5gdaFA
Old May 14th 2012, 6:44 pm

Thats a beauty

"Departing Leeds International Airstrip, touching down 20 minutes later at Leeds International Airstrip because if its outside Yorkshire its not worth bloody visiting"
Old May 14th 2012, 6:57 pm
Banned

Primula has a spectacular aura aboutPrimula has a spectacular aura aboutPrimula has a spectacular aura about

Originally Posted by kimilseung
In Britain even a city the size of Leicester has an exceptional collection of German Expressionism.
Is that a good thing?
Old May 14th 2012, 7:02 pm
BE Forum Addict

Scouse Express has a reputation beyond reputeScouse Express has a reputation beyond reputeScouse Express has a reputation beyond reputeScouse Express has a reputation beyond reputeScouse Express has a reputation beyond reputeScouse Express has a reputation beyond reputeScouse Express has a reputation beyond reputeScouse Express has a reputation beyond reputeScouse Express has a reputation beyond reputeScouse Express has a reputation beyond reputeScouse Express has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Primula
Is that a good thing?

Nein!

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.