British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   USA (https://britishexpats.com/forum/usa-57/)
-   -   Travelled much in the States? (https://britishexpats.com/forum/usa-57/travelled-much-states-757988/)

arran29 May 14th 2012 3:48 pm

Re: Travelled much in the States?

well husband and I landed in Florida when I got my visa (after 4 long years) and we travelled about intending to buy a cheap foreclosure. In the end we didn't and settled and rented and went to college. We went to Florida, Georgia, South Carolina, flew to Nevada, then went back and forth between Colorado, Utah, Idaho, Wyoming,California,Washington,Oregon,Texas,Arizona ,Oklahoma,Kansas,
New Mexico. Also been to New York state and changed planes twice in Philadelphia.

Yorkieabroad May 14th 2012 4:02 pm

Originally Posted by tonrob (Post 10059642)
I'd say that it was the state of evacuation that matters, although there's always some chancer out there that's trying to game the system. :thumbdown:

So what do airlines do with their "waste"? Is it true they "pump out" at altitude, or is that just an urban myth? I've flown across the states a few times.......I might be heading for a "bingo" here....:D

Yorkieabroad May 14th 2012 4:04 pm

Originally Posted by tonrob (Post 10059574)
If I was in charge I'd just fill it in.

Solve a few unemployment issues............and landfill site issues........hmmmm

tonrob May 14th 2012 4:13 pm

Originally Posted by Yorkieabroad (Post 10059699)
So what do airlines do with their "waste"? Is it true they "pump out" at altitude, or is that just an urban myth? I've flown across the states a few times.......I might be heading for a "bingo" here....:D

Sorry to rain on your parade. Or not.

http://science.howstuffworks.com/tra...uestion314.htm

SultanOfSwing May 14th 2012 4:14 pm

Hardly at all, actually :lol:

The only two states I have spent any length of time in are Illinois (where I live) and Wisconsin. On the way to move here I spent a good eight hours at Newark International Airport. That is a thoroughly depressing place, makes me almost like O'Hare. I saw the NY skyline on approach, though (even though that doesn't count ...)

Up in Canada I stayed a week with my mate up in Hines Creek, Alberta and we drove around Fort St. John and Dawson Creek, BC while I was up there. Lots of airport stops that trip though, on the way out I flew Milwaukee - Toronto - Calgary - Grande Prairie, AB (then a 90 minute drive to Hines Creek :lol:). On the way back, Grande Prairie - Edmonton - Winnipeg - Toronto - Milwaukee. Loved it though, Air Canana kicks serious arse as far as IFE on their Airbuses/Embraer mid-haul jets :thumbsup:

Yorkieabroad May 14th 2012 4:16 pm

Originally Posted by tonrob (Post 10059717)
Sorry to rain on your parade. Or not.

http://science.howstuffworks.com/tra...uestion314.htm

Hmm, that just gets the stuff out of the toilet....doesn't say what happens to it after that....:sneaky:

Rete May 14th 2012 4:31 pm

I've spent time (not passing thru) in:

Florida
Nevada
California
Maine
New Hampshire
Vermont
Massachusetts
Rhode Island
Virginia
Mississippi
Louisiana
North Carolina
Georgia
Washington D.C.
Maryland
Delaware
Pennsylvania
Connecticut
New Jersey
Alaska

Canada:
Nova Scotia
Quebec
Ontario

SultanOfSwing May 14th 2012 4:39 pm

Bloody hell - look at all the states everyone's been to. I suck :lol:

We do plan to travel the US more, seriously, what's the point in living here if I'm going to spend the whole time in bloody Illinois and Wisconsin?

On the list, for me anyway, are New England (a lot of those old 'colonial' states in the Northeast appeal to me for various reasons, actually, so extend to include New York state, PA and DC); the Southwest and the PNW. Also, Yellowstone.

Maybe one day ...

tonrob May 14th 2012 4:53 pm

Originally Posted by Yorkieabroad (Post 10059720)
Hmm, that just gets the stuff out of the toilet....doesn't say what happens to it after that....:sneaky:

Au contraire...

Airplane toilets use an active vacuum instead of a passive siphon, and they are therefore called vacuum toilets. When you flush, it opens a valve in the sewer line, and the vacuum in the line sucks the contents out of the bowl and into a tank.
Bolding mine.

tonrob May 14th 2012 4:54 pm

Originally Posted by SultanOfSwing (Post 10059750)
Bloody hell - look at all the states everyone's been to. I suck :lol:

We do plan to travel the US more, seriously, what's the point in living here if I'm going to spend the whole time in bloody Illinois and Wisconsin?

On the list, for me anyway, are New England (a lot of those old 'colonial' states in the Northeast appeal to me for various reasons, actually, so extend to include New York state, PA and DC); the Southwest and the PNW. Also, Yellowstone.

Maybe one day ...

I'll buy you a beer if you ever head over this way. Or you can buy me one.

(I'm liking the second option better).

Yorkieabroad May 14th 2012 5:20 pm

Originally Posted by tonrob (Post 10059764)
Au contraire...

Bolding mine.

OK, guess I'll have to get driving then..............

Scouse Express May 14th 2012 5:32 pm

Airlines dump their Human waste into a Holding Tank, unless you fly "Yorkshire Airlines" - LOL

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Rm6VC5gdaFA

Yorkieabroad May 14th 2012 6:44 pm

Thats a beauty:D

"Departing Leeds International Airstrip, touching down 20 minutes later at Leeds International Airstrip because if its outside Yorkshire its not worth bloody visiting" :thumbsup::thumbsup:

Primula May 14th 2012 6:57 pm

Originally Posted by kimilseung (Post 10055629)
In Britain even a city the size of Leicester has an exceptional collection of German Expressionism.

Is that a good thing?

Scouse Express May 14th 2012 7:02 pm

Originally Posted by Primula (Post 10059954)
Is that a good thing?

Nein!